Campagnolo Chorus ErgoPower Shifter/Brake Lever Shifters

• Triple compatible
  • ErgoBrain Computer Ready

• User Reviews (5)

adrian   Road Racer [Aug 18, 2002]
    Strength:

Light, comfortable, works fantastically.

downshift lever a little hard to reach from the drops.

Having changed from Ultegra to Chorus (10v) a couple of months ago I must say that I am nothing but impressed. Firstly, and the main reason I chose to go Campag, the hoods are much more comfortable to hold, nice flat tops and my finger curl nicely around the bottom. Secondly, no rattling, anyone who has ridden Ultegra will know what I mean. And thirdly better shifting and braking. Combined with Chorus brakes and Proton wheels the braking is smooth and powerful with none of the spongyness that I had with Shimano. I love being able to downshift (to higher gears) eight at a time if required and unshift four at a time. The only disadvantage is that the downshift lever is a little harder to reach from the drops.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra (for 5 years)
    Carl   Recreational Rider [Jun 19, 2001]
    Strength:

My 2001 Chorus grouppo abounds with all the things that made Campy a standard way back when. Precision bearing/race surfaces. Absence of cheesy plastic. Surfaces that are treated and won't disintegrate in the elements (salt is a big problem for me). Shimano innovated indexing first, but now there's only one game in town, and it's Campy

Haven't found any yet (honestly). I'm sure the springs in the levers will wear out. Big deal. Take it to the shop and they'll replace them. Oh, OK, and the freewheel is a little louder when you coast. I'll get over it.

I knew when I put a pair of Ergo levers on 5 or so years ago I'd never buy another pair of STI levers (rear Ultegra STI lever got tired, tried to have it repaired. Yeah, right...don't think we can get those parts...might be able to get one lever...might just have to buy the pair. And the brake calipers have changed...yeah right). And I've got a box full of Ultegra junk that the salt from the ocean disintegrated. Dura Ace does does hold up better. But it doesn't matter. The new Campy grouppo is everything I expected and more. Perfect shifting, more ergonomic, good braking feel, noticeable improvement in energy transmission characteristics, etc.. I haven't touched the Shimano bike since I brought this rebuild home. And I won't until it's been rebuilt too. And throw in the Ergobrain with the mode buttons built right onto the Ergolever. Oh yeah, baby. If you race maybe you want Record. I'm totally satisfied with Chorus. And the commute/day bike is Daytona. Works just fine. Haven't had it long enough to comment on durability.

Similar Products Used: Shimano STI, 96'ish Ergopower
    Harry Malone   Commuter [Jan 27, 2001]
    Strength:

Up/down shifters not intergrated with brake lever.
    Both shifters can be reached from the drops.
    Very smooth, positive action.

Adjustments that require removing or working with the hoods can be a very delicate operation.

These are 2001 models. I upgraded from Mirage to Chorus shifters mostly as an indulgence, but also because I hoped that ball-bearing action would be an improvement over Mirage/Veloce/Daytona bushings. I believe it is. Action is smoother, steadier, feels more positive (although Racing Triple may have something to do with that.) Expensive, but I'm glad I did it. Going one more step up to Record for the carbon would not have meant much to me, since I'm not a racer. Actually, as a commuter, a little more weight on the bike means a little less weight on me!

Any of the Campy shifters works great, but if you want that little extra, I would recommend Chrous.

Similar Products Used: Campy Mirage shifters. 1979 Shimano 600 down-tube shifters.
    David Carroll   Recreational Rider [May 31, 2000]
    Strength:

Very comfortable shifter body
    Can make multiple shifts in one movement
    In the main, shifting action light and precise

prone to cable friction - I upgraded the standard derailleur cable set to Gore Ride-On - $35 for a cable set!!
    Downshift (thumb lever) a bit choppy - less smooth than upshift
    There is a rumour that compensation springs in these shifters can break, affecting shifting precision. While changing the cable system seems to have cures the rather abrupt deterioration in shifting precision I experienced in the middle of a ride, I will be stripping these shifters down next winter to make sure everything is OK

Not perfect (cable friction, possible compensation spring failure), but delightful to use. Would recommend without hesitation. Better value than Campag Record (and I prefer metal, rather than carbon fiber). Because of the price, I think these are better suited to racers and enthusiasts, but if you can stand the price, get them.

Similar Products Used: Downtube shifters by Campagnolo and Simplex, brake levers by Shimano and Campagnolo
    Rick   Road Racer [Jan 12, 2001]
    Strength:

Crisp shifting, reliable

Feel "small" to bigger hands

Crisp, reliable, and quick-shifting. I use Shimano wheels and cassettes and the compatibility is seamless. Seems to shift better than my older Record Ergo levers.