Campagnolo Record Ergopower Shifter/Brake Lever Shifters

Record Ergopower Shifter/Brake Lever

Campagnolo Record-QS Ergopower 10sp Shifters: The Ergopower? Record? controls, body and levers, are in composite but their left-hand control mechanism has been slightly modified to increase the performance reference when interfaced with QS? front derailleurs.

andrew scheu   Recreational Rider [May 07, 2008]
Strength:

Rebuildable, shift action and looks

Cost

Using full Campy Record and very pleased with the shift action, more positive than my previous DA

weiwentg   Road Racer [Apr 22, 2005]
Strength:

weight, appearance, smooth shifting

little or no advantage over previous record.

compared to the old Chorus or Record, the 2004 levers are more bark than bite. 2004 Record levers lose about 24 grams from the 2003 and earlier levers because of a drilled out, teflon (or something) coated shift disc and a carbon spring carrier (I think). I am not the most subtle person, but I can't discern any difference between the 04 levers which are supposed to shift more smoothly and the 03 levers. they are sexy levers, though.

Similar Products Used: Shimano DA 9, Tiagra, Campy Centaur/Daytona, Record carbon, 2004 Record carbon
flythebike   Road Racer [Dec 22, 2004]
Strength:

Shifing action is very light, flowing, and effortless. Light, great looks, crash worthy (they've gotten stronger than year ago). Very good shifting action, and the braking power is very very good, terriffic modulation. Rebuildable. You can shift into a harder gear with your right pinky from the tops of the bars without moving your hands. Sprinting and shifting with the thumb is better than I expected, reach is fine and I only get one gear when I'm in a gear I'm sprinting in.

Shimano has a mechanical advantage for front shifts because the whole brake lever pivots, not just the small inside lever. Expensive. Sometimes I get 2 shifts instead of on in the mid range cogs, like 19 to 16 instead of 17 or 19 to 17 instead of 18, depending on cassette, I'm still getting used to the extremely light action. But this is a minor complaint, not a deal breaker.

I'm very fond of these levers. If you can afford them put them on your racing bike. If you can't afford them, get Chorus.

Similar Products Used: 105 and Ultegra 9 Speed, Dura Ace 8 Speed, Campy Record 8 speed. Suntour down - tube and bar ends, Campy retro-friction down tube.
zep-rider   Road Racer [Jul 22, 2004]
Strength:

Ergo shifting, beautiful carbon levers have a nice feel, nice and light

Shifting feels almost too light

I finally made the jump to Record 10sp this Spring after 10+ yrs of flawless performance with an Athena 8sp group. Any regrets? No, not a one. Campagnolo components flat out work. The new group is elegant in appearance and is backed up with stunning performance. Worth every penny.

Similar Products Used: Campy Athena, Suntour Superbe
sloth   Recreational Rider [Mar 01, 2004]
Strength:

lightweight, easy on the eyes, brake QR is still part of the design, just very sleek.

none so far

really, so far these levers are great. i was inspired to write this review in response to the last guy that wrote about how the lever hoods are insubstantial. let's just say that i have plenty to hold onto while dodging jerks in SUV's during my daily/nightly commute. so there. oh, and mine are the '04 model...i've failed to notice any buzzing noise (yet).

Similar Products Used: shimano dura-ace/ultegra/105 sti...bar- cons...down tube shifters of varied degrees of quality.
Bam-Bam   Road Racer [Sep 18, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight Great rear shifting Very chi-chi (all that CF)

Dangerously small hoods Noisy shifting Amplifies road noise Mediocre front shifting

Great shifting. Light weight (346 grams, actual) but I think they’ve cut too many corners in the interest of low weight. The rear shifting is just about flawless. Efforts are light, over-travel is minimal, shifts are sharp and clean -- even under load (which I _never_ would otherwise do). Up front, not as superlative. It needs 4 clicks to shift from small chainring to big. My old Record Ergo only took 3, and it even had a pre-Ergo derailleur. On the plus side, you can get all 4 clicks in one sweep of the shift lever. It is a l-o-o-o-n-g sweep, and awkward until you get used to it. The old derailleur would only shift one click per sweep; 3 sweeps per 1 shift. I call front shifting quality a push; no overall improvement over the old stuff. The bad news is that this stuff is NOISY. The internal metal shifter components are so thin they tend to buzzzzzzzzzz over irregular surfaces. The right one buzzes almost continually, even on moderately smooth roads. The shift levers themselves are beautiful, slender, gossamer slivers of carbon fiber. They, too, are so thin they tend to resonate, but not from road vibration. The ‘click’ of each up-shift – front or rear -- is amplified ten-fold and is annoyingly loud. It sounds like breaking plastic, as if you’ve just bent a Taco Bell spork – in an otherwise quiet room -- until it snapped. My biggest gripe with these Ergo shifters is that the hump on the hood is WAY too small. The old hoods had a nice, large, shark fin-looking hump that provided a secure handhold, wet or dry. They’ve pared down the new (smaller, lighter) hood until it is just a slight bump. Handhold on the new hood can be too precarious, even in the dry. Wet I don’t want to talk about. The noise I can get used to. I only regard it as a problem because the old stuff was much quieter. But the humps on the hoods are so small that I consider them a liability issue. If I had it to do over again I’d wait a model year to see if Campy gets a clue.

Similar Products Used: older Record Ergo, Ultegra 600 STI
Juanito El Burgo   Commuter [May 21, 2003]
Strength:

Once "broken-in", flawless. In my experience they're pretty tough too. I beefed hard over rocks while cyclocrossing. Left carbon shift lever was scraped up badly (boo-hoo) but they still function perfectly. And if it broke? HA, it's repairable!!!!!

Yeah, yeah, they cost a fortune but the short fat Italian guy who lays the carbon-fiber by hand has to finance his braunschweiger addiction somehow.

While I normally couldn't give two poops about what stuff looks like, I've got to hand it to Campy, these things are sexy. If you're moving to these for the first time, bear in mind that most experience a period of "break-in" over several hundred miles with lots of shifts, after which they function very smoothly.

Similar Products Used: Shimano STI, down-tube, bar-end. Suntour down-tube, bar-end. Campy down-tube.
ishmael   Road Racer [Dec 08, 2002]
Strength:

rebuildable

rattle and I've had to rebuild them twice now because a spring broke(same spring)...I've found the thumb button is hard to use while in the drops, but others dont have that problem..expensive

very nice but they rattle on the bumps