Mavic SSC Shifters

Mavic SSC Shifters

• Multiple shifter buttons.
  • Large LCD screen.
  • Fast precision gear shift.
  • Adjustment stability in time due to the wireless transmission.
  • Wireless transmission: - more lightweight cable + tube.

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 17, 2003]
    TWB8s

Strength:

Light weight, multiple shifter positions, it isn't Shimano. I purchased the version with the shifter button that has a couple of feet of wire. it allows me to have a shifter on the left handlebar just under my hand. Has a massive "gee-whiz" factor when seen by geeks not in the know. The lever travel for the brakes is fine for my old school Campy Deltas. The QR for the brakes is the silver button on the leading edge of the lever. It is easy to open the QR and doesn't close after the brakes are applied. The hood shape is good for climbing position and for a semi-aerobar position the shifter button on the horn of the brake is perfect. Front shifter throw is easy and nonindexed. Tuning for chain rub is fast and easy.

The electronics make me wonder. I had the original head/transmitter take a crap after I nailed a pothole. Fortunately I was only a few blocks from the shop and they replaced it on the spot. That head/transmitter has worked reliably ever since. I did need to replace the batteries on the head, wheel sensor & deraileur this spring. Great operation ever since. When climbing my index or middle finger sometimes will bump the shifter button on the backside of the brake lever. This results in an up-shift (harder gear) which is the last thing I need on a hill.

It works fine. It is disheartening that Mavic quit distributing the system and I'd be curious to here why various teams in europe wouldn't go with it. I pull my daughter in a trailer 4 times a week for a total of ~100 miles a week and with the extra 80lbs plus my 180lbs it hasn't missed a shift. Even under maximum pedal/chain stress of climbing an 8% grade it still shifts to a 25 tooth cog.

the remote on our DVD player?

[May 29, 2000]
    Eric

Strength:

Location of shifting buttons, aero levers for multiple hand positions, look great, eliminates cable down the side of the bike, friction shift for front der. is great

Erratic shifting on bumps, cyclocomputer sucks, extra weight

They're a great conversation piece, work well even in the rain- EXCEPT- Sometimes I get downshifts if I hit a bump, it has to be a pretty good shock, but it does what I call, "Ghost shifting". On one occasion I hit a bump (joint on an overpass) and it shifted into my 12 tooth cog and it took over 2 minutes before I could get it to shift out. THAT SUCKED! If I raced I wouldnt use 'em, if I had to buy them new I'd say forget it, I trades someone for mine. Also, the computer functions sucked- I went back to my avocet 45tt after 2 rides.
    Bottom line- if they can fix the erratic shifting, they'd be great- otherwise stick w/ the cheaper stuff.

shimano ultegra, shimano dura-ace

[May 31, 2000]
    Brogan Adams

Strength:

Ease of shifting, multiple position to shift, and they look good

The right shifter hummes on ruff foad

This is the best shifter out there. I think that st is the future of shifting. I love these things.

Ultegra

[Apr 01, 2001]
    Edddie B.

Strength:

Good idea, ahead of its time.

Doesn't work. I have had nothing but trouble with these. Mavic will not return calls or e-mails from myself or my LBC.

Mektronic is crap. I'll be replacing it soon. Anyone interested in it? Let me know I'll give you a deal.

If you think of gruppo's, everything Shimano.