Modolo Morphos Brake Levers Shifters

Morphos Brake Levers

z-warfare   Commuter [Feb 02, 2012]
Strength:

Light, cheap, weird (is that a strength?), can be installed with many other gear systems.

The swivelling ferrule for the shifter housing that was in the brifter body was a nice detail.

Flimsy-feeling, awkward shifting action, hard on your thumbs, strange setup.

I bought a set of these on craigslist locally, knowing full well they aren't very good. However, I was curious to try them out.

I appreciate the 'thinking out of the box' design, the fact that they bridge Campy and Shimano, the clean cable routing, the very comfortable feel of the brake hood, and the basic concept of the shifter mechanism (very simple - a cylinder in line with the bike holds the cable's mushroom head, and is moved forward or backward a certain set distance by ratcheting from the shifter levers).

As brake levers, they're actually pretty good.

All that being said, they are NOT good shifters. The shifter lever throw is insanely far, so they're hard on your thumbs and do not shift crisply at all. They're a bit like friction shifters in brifter form... you have to keep pushing until the derailleur is where you want it.

The internal mechanism feels plasticky and cheap (I have the particularly plasticky V2000 version, I understand there are aluminum versions out there).

I think it might be interesting to make a heavier, tougher version of the same mechanical action out of materials like brass and steel - but that would defeat the main advantage of these, which people seem to agree is their light weight.

I think they *might* have merit as historical and technological curiosities, but they have no place on a bike you may need to rely on (for racing or even commuting).

When setting them up, I had to whack the back of the left brifter against a tabletop to set the light plastic shifter cylinder in the right place so it could slide.

Old Suntour Command and new Retroshift shifters are much more effective, simple, and durable.

Similar Products Used: 9-speed Campy Chorus, 9-speed Shimano 105, 9-speed Shimano Sora.
HonzaK   Commuter [Apr 25, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable hoods (!)
Good break levers
Possibility to break and shift at the same time (important for me when riding in the city)
Possibility to mix-and-match

Poor service manual
Installation and tuning is not the easiest (especially for the front)
Need to get used to the way they shift

Bought these shifters to upgrade my commuting bike from Favorit downtube friction shifters which I used for ages. At the same moment I upgraded the deraillers from Favorit to Shimano Tiagra, so no matter how the Modolos work, there is a significant improvement.

For those 99% of you who do not know the brand Favorit - it used to be a Czech bike manufacturer (yes, I am Czech, I live in Prague), who used to make excellent road steel frames, other fairly good stuff, but extremely poor deraillers. Even the factory racing team used Campa and Simplex instead of their own... Unfortunatelly it was very hard for normal hobby riders to get anything better in Czechoslovakia back in the 80s, so I just got used to it. Than I stopped riding for some time, so the need to upgrade came just recently.

I completely agree with the thought, that these are very "Italian". You just need to approach them with having this in mind and than they are a good value-for-money thing (the price I paid might look a bit scary to you guys from the US, but it was not that bad at the time of purchase since the exchange rates were different).

My bike is a total mix-and-match, so I was actually quite surpriced to get the rear work well right away (apart from the fact that getting the cable through the hood is quite difficult). As opposite, the front does not work as I expected - downshifting is perfect, but upshifting and trimming is hard to do. Hope they will break-in a bit. Maybe it is also caused by the fact, that I am using a "7 speed" chain with the Tiagra "9 speed" front derailler which may be too narrow, but I am not sure if this is the way it works.

Similar Products Used: None
poo   Road Racer [Nov 03, 2010]
Strength:

nob cheese

Similar Products Used: nob cheese
T.L. Smith   Recreational Rider [Oct 16, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight, all cables are hidden, looks good, and economical!

Set up and installation took some time, after some mess with factor, have them dialed in.

Purchased for a 9 speed set up as building a frame up road bicycle. They were very economical, purchased from Performance Bicycle new. Found that the front chain ring shifter did not work, after checking with local "wrench", who really did not know what to do, checked the internet and gained some info, was able to reset the cable shuttle inside the shifter, now works fine! Rear shifter has always worked out of the box and appears to be smooth, no problems. The two thumb shift levers feel good and work naturally, I like the way they work. They do look neat and clean with hidden cables under the wrap. Brake levers work really smooth with my Dura-ace brakes.

noisesmith   Commuter [Jun 05, 2009]
Strength:

Adaptable, cheap, comfortable and ergonomic, lightweight, simple design.

Finicky adjustments that need to be aligned very carefully, occasional failure of mechanism to engage.

I tend to upgrade some bike component with each paycheck, so the fact that these will upgrade from my current 7 speed cassette to a 9 or 10 appealed to me. I had some hassle installing them but I have them working nicely now. I had some phantom upshifts in the rear under load (as someone else mentioned) that I fixed by re-routing the cable housing on the handlebar and taping it down tighter. It is nice to be able to shift from so many different bar positions (if your hands are strong enough you can even shift from the flats on a climb). Also, for the folks that experienced trouble upshifting except from the drops, try the 10mm lever tension bolts, a small adjustment on them helps alot.

Similar Products Used: Downtube shifters, rapidfire under the bar shifters, gripshifts, barcons.
wayshwing   Recreational Rider [Jul 08, 2008]
Strength:

+ Total gizmo nerd toy.
+ Nicer than downtube shifting.
+ Look VERY high tech - lots of compliments.
+ Relatively short learning curve to use once adjusted.
+ Light weight

- Can be a challenge to install if you're not a wrench.
- Adjustment take a lil patience.
- Shifting a bit finicky
- Would not consider racing with these in situations which require fast shifting, like criteriums.

This is my first ever foray into STI shifters. Both my road bike and my mtb have used old school thumb shifters since the early 90's. I just recently mounted these on my road bike (Giant Cadex 980C... old but I love it). Setup was actually not too bad (although I'm a pretty good bike mechanic). Cable routing was easy (brake cable housings along the back groove of the bar, shift housings along the front groove of the bar). Adjustment has been also ok. Not sure if I have the "old" version of the shifters or the "new" version. Shifting has been a learning experience, as I've never been a "fan" of STI shifters. I actually like these a lot! They make riding fun and interesting, since I'm a NERD at heart, I like gizmos. I'm using a compact FSA crank, an XRP ultralite chain, and an SRAM Red cassette (Talk about mix and match!) and it all works great believe it or not. So far no missed shifts. I do notice that shifting chainrings is more of a "ratcheting" affair where one thumb push usually is not enough to get on the big ring. Upshifting (going to smaller diameter gears) is definitely the strong point of these shifters, as they do this with relative ease. LOVE the brake feel, very positive. Hoods feel great too.

Similar Products Used: First time using STI type shifters
tenacious-c   Commuter [Jan 13, 2008]
Strength:

Works well for a wide range of setups-I noticed settings for Campy, Shimano, and generic Index, which worked for me!

Difficult to setup, but I have limited experience with all of the brands, so these may be par for the course

Bought these to update my Trek 760, which has full Suntour Superbe Pro components. No possibility of using Suntour's combo shifters, so I purchased these (already my setup is a bit off, as I have American Classic hubs, with a generic index cogset, but it works well).
Difficult to setup for me-had a hard time running the shifter cables through the levers-it's nice to be able to adjust the angle the cables come out, but it works against you when trying to run the cables. When I finally got those through, setup was easy.
I agree with some of the other reviewers that they are rather stiff in the beginning, but they do ease up. Break-in/cable adjustment took all in all about a week to fine tune, as the cables stretched (would be nice to use pre-stretched cables, as some others provide), but after that, it's worked very well. Very comfortable hoods, and nice brake levers. Looks cool, too-I like the carbon-fiber look to the brake levers.

Similar Products Used: Suntour, Shimano
nowheels   Road Racer [Oct 06, 2007]
Strength:

Brake levers only work on the brakes....I love this. Thumb shifting works for me.

Dialing in the front dr takes a bit of work.

I brought these after reading the reviews and I must say that there is a differece between the first model of these shifters and the current ones. In general I found that they were east to set up on the drive side , but a bit finickey on with the chainrings. But after ride or 2 and an adjustment to the front dr I have had no issues. I'm running it on a compact crank so there was also that to contend with. But over all once you get used to shifting with your thumbs and get the shifters broken in the stiffness in the shifting goes away. It is not as straightup as setting up shimano shifters.....just different. If you follow the instructions, then it is not a problem (As some other reviewers had found). The thing I like about these is that the brake levers are only brake levers and they function well. And the grips are comfortable to larger hands.

I do not find the shifting from the drops all that good as other have, but I probably have them set up a bit higher on the bars.

All in all I have found them to be a siginificant improvement over shimano levers with regards to feel. they do not shift as crisply as ultegras, but somewhere between Tiagra and 105.

If I can't get used to these ....... it's back to barcons.