Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7700 Shifters

• Three Precision Ball Bearing Units Improve Lever Action
  • Optical Gear Display

• User Reviews (24)

leeh795   Recreational Rider [Jul 27, 2008]
    Strength:

(compared to 105 / ultegra)
    - "softer/more sensitive" feel when shifting
    - "smooth" braking feel - shifters seem to have some absorbing material to give that "relaxed" feel.
    - the worthy thing to buy DURA-ACE!

- makes 105s/ultegra shifters feel lame
    - these things can cost a lot!

Was building a bike by hand; saw bunch of these USED on ebay so i gave them a try; THEY ARE THE BEST $#@$!@ SHIFTERS I HAVE EVERY USED o_O; still worked great used!

Similar Products Used: - ultegra / 105 9-speed shifters
    cz85b   Road Racer [Jun 11, 2007]
    Strength:

Crisp feel on shifting, I like the feel of these hoods over the Campy because I don't have the feeling that I am sliding off of the front!

Well, nothing is perfect, so I will leave my reporting at that.. If you use stainless cables, and replace them once or twice per season (depending on mileage) AND if you don't crash, they should last quite a while!

Shimano's best of the best is what everyone thinks of when he/she speaks of Dura Ace... Well, I can testify that not everything that wears the label "Dura Ace" is good...

These Shifters, however, are actually very nice! The comparison is the Ultegra 6500 shifters, and there truly is no comparison. The 7700's have a feel that is much more crisp. I have a set that has seen 25,000 miles, and they are still fully functional! (now watch them fold on my next ride...)

Weight? Well, I am not a weight weenie, and anyone who has done any homework on shopping for shifters knows that the Campy carbon stuff is about half a pound lighter.. Now, I like Shimano... given the choice I will buy Shimano regardless of anything else, because everything, in the final analysis, will fold given the time/distance.. Shimano is more reasonably priced than the competition, and its quality really is no less.. (and I have broken everything, I should know! LOL)

Similar Products Used: Campy Record, Chorus, and Ultegra
    vio765   Road Racer [Nov 03, 2006]
    Strength:

has never failed me. they are DA!

absolutely none

fantastic shifters.

Similar Products Used: nothing but this
    dalauros@direcway.com   Recreational Rider [Feb 26, 2006]
    Strength:

Warranty lasts 3 years

They keep breaking.

I have had these 9 speed dura ace shifters for 2 years. I have only put abut 2000 miles on them and I am returning them to shimano for the second time to be fixed under warranty. The small inner down shift lever will not downshift the rear derraileur. If they break thay can not be repaired by anyone. If they are out of warrany and they break throw them away. (A new 10 speed set of dura ace shifters retails for over $400.) If campy breaks the internal parts are available and they can be fixed.

Similar Products Used: Campy record and chorus.
    fiddledoc   Recreational Rider [Jul 01, 2004]
    Strength:

-beautifully made -3 year warranty -hopefully more durable, less noisy. -worth 229, though don't know if I'd shell out for the current retail of $374.

-needs more force to operate than ultegra or 105, especially when releasing inner lever. -too bad Shimano couldn't engineer in adjustability for reach from bar.

When my 105 levers started developing the expected problems (caps dropping off in the road, rattling, left shifter hanging up) I decided to pay a little more for DA rather than waste money on Ultegra or 105. These are great levers, although I wish the releases needed a little less pressure. I also wish the trim needed less pressure; it takes a lot more finger pressure to taper the large chainring than the middle, which needs just a slight push--it should be consistent, I would think. I really like the feel of braking.

Similar Products Used: 105--worked great for about 3 years.
    phacharawut   Triathlete [Apr 22, 2004]
    Strength:

Nice finish. The shifting is crisp. Personally I like the shape of the brake hoods. It is comfortable.

Like what I mentioned earlier. Front shifting can be a problem in spite of all the adjustment.

I changed from Ultegra shifters to Dura-ace because I broke my Ultegra. There was nothing wrong with the Ultegra function. For the Dura-ace, rear shifting is crisp and efficient. The shifters look beautiful as well. But front shifting might be a problem. I have been having problem with slow shifting from big ring to small chain ring. By the way, rear down shifting to a larger cog can be slow as well(despite al the tuning that I did and the bikeshop did.)

Similar Products Used: Ultegra(strong and durable, inexpensive)
    Justine   Recreational Rider [Jul 21, 2003]
    Strength:

Just set them up, replace your cables (and casette and chain) every year and you'll have no trouble. Elegant in a high-tech sort of way.

Haven't found any.

After 5 years and about 20,000 miles, they're still shifting as well as they did from the box. Since I have several bikes, no one bike gets all the waer-and-tear I can dish out. However, these shifters are part of my cycling canon.

Similar Products Used: Dura-Ace 8-speed, Ultegra 9-speed (currnetly on another bike, not nearly as good as DA), early Ergo. Befoer these, of course, at least a score of different downtube shifters, the best of which was the
    Aging biker   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2003]
    Strength:

Quiet, silky smooth, beautiful.

I upgraded from D/A 8 speed to 9 speed. So far I have ridden 100 miles. These work flawlessly. Very quiet to the point that I can't hear the shift and there's no noise even from the chain. The upgrade consists of a chain, cassette and shifter levers. They look great also. The 8 speed set-up was good, these are much better.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace 8 speed.
    Bob Hodges   Road Racer [Oct 10, 2002]
    Strength:

Performance and durability, a solid combo

Solid shifting performance that always worked when needed. I have put over 12,000 miles on one pair and never had any problems.