Shimano Sora ST-3300/3303 Shifters

• 3303 - Triple Ring

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 29, 2010]
    onespeedbiker

Strength:

They work and last forever

The most often stated weakness is poor shifting from the drops. Well this is clearly a sales issue. By definition, Sora shifters are not designed to be shifted from the drops. Shimano developed Sora shifters for recreational riders that rarely utilize drops, but the trade off is they are inexpensive and last forever. If you want to shift from your drops, buy Tiagra; but you'll pay more and they won't last nearly as long.

I have worked on bikes for years and am still amazed how well Sora Shifters work. I have replaced a lot of Ultegra and Tiagra shifters, but no Soras.

Durace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra and Sora.

[Aug 28, 2006]
    Jim D

Strength:

Inexpensive, clean and precise shifts.

Sora nameplate. Other than that, I'm pleased w/ the performance.

I wanted to do a budget build on a sweet old frameset that I have. I know that 'Rosebud' deserves a better nameplate than Sora, but I'm a little short right now. Actually Rosebud & I are really happy with the performance of these dbl. shifters. I ride w/my hands 99% on the hoods, so the the shift levers are real accessible. If you ride in the drops you may have trouble getting your thumbs on the inside shift levers.

Ultegra on my other 2 bikes

[Aug 27, 2006]
    Competitive Club Rider

Strength:

As indicated above. No problems whatsoever. I ride the drops, and have no problems with the thumb shifting.

Converted an old steel Peugeot with downtube shifters to a seven speed with Sora shifters. They shift great; reliable, durable, precise and inexpensive. They look nice. What more can you ask for?

Ultegra shifters, which perform no better.

[Dec 29, 2005]
    Ronsonic

Strength:

Reliable and inexpensive. These let you put STI on old bikes without spending much money. Ignore the reviews that use the word "sucks" both in general and especially in this case. These aren't fancy but they work.

The thumb levers are a bit hard to get at from the drops, I've got large hands and it's a reach for me. The body is a bit smallish for large hands. I would spend more and convert to Campy Mirage if I were to do it over.

Decent, inexpensive shifter for the thrifty (cheap) upgrader or the entry level road rider. I bought these to update an old steel frame bike that had 7 speed downtube shifters. They've worked perfectly for about 1,000 miles, some of it pretty rough.

Shimano 105, Campy Mirage.

[Aug 23, 2005]
    vansiclenr

Strength:

Looks nice, and seems to shift well.

I don't have chimpanzee thumbs. These are for people who only ride the hoods, never ride the drops, e.g. people who really want a hybrid, but don't want to look wimpy.

This is a note of thanks to the reviewers of this product. Shimano's photos and specs do not make it obviousl that the Sora shifters have a thumb shifter for the large-to-small gear shifts. I was about to buy Soras to replace my no longer functioning Ultegra 8 speed shifters, but I don't have chimpanzee thumbs, so I found used gear on eBay.

Ultegra / 600 / 105

[Feb 27, 2005]
    Lloyd

Strength:

Shifting is crisp... a real value for your money...

Plastics are used - well what can we ask for on its price...

Had used the shifter for training (sprints & climbs)... i'm a new roadie - cross trained from MTB to road. I'm satisfied on the Sora's performance... also used it for racing. Had no complaints on handling from the hoods...

None... my first STI

[Sep 02, 2004]
    mhwg

Strength:

cheap

the thumbswitch, but it's fixable.

SORA is a solid shifter for an affordable bike. However, I like to ride the drops on ca. 30-50 mile trips at ca. 22-24 mph with frequent stop signs, sharp turns, railroad crossings and small hills, and the miniature thumbswitches are an issue in that case because they are practically unreachable from the drops unless you have extra-long fingers. I solved the problem with a mod that took ca. 3 hrs and $5: drilled 3/64" holes through the thumbswitches, press-fitted stainless steel cotterpins, and molded two epoxy resin extensions (matched to the same gray with gray plastic paint) of ca. 3/4" length. Sanded both new levers to match and look good. I can still ride the hoods without bumping my thumb, but now I can switch from the drops. With that little problem solved, I'm very happy with the SORA. It switches reliably and noiselessly, the break levers feel comfortable, and the system now works equally well from the hoods and drops.

Simplex

[Sep 23, 2003]
    kc2hje

Strength:

easy shifting, flight deck is the best

the shift button if they could just make it lower so one would not have to try so hard to reach it from the lowes on the bars

not bad for someone starting off shifting is crisp and fast as with just about all of shimanos shifters. with the flightdeck computer you never have to take your hands off the bars. And unlike the other sti handles they are very quite, I have herd that that problem has been fixed on the other ones 105, ultagra...etc

deore lx on my atb

[Sep 03, 2003]
    smokey422

Strength:

easy to install and set up. this was my first experience with STI levers, and had everything working fine in less than an hour. they don't seem to be finicky, usually if your shifting changes it's time to check things like the condition of your cables and rear wheel alignment. very easy to replace cables or remove them for cleaning and lubing. comfortable hood shape, which is where i spend the majority of my time riding. economical.

if it's a big deal for you, shifting up from the drops is very difficult. i guess profilers will complain about the lack of pinache. thumb buttons can be a bit noisy to use (VERY minor complaint).

very good value for the money, especially if you're one of those 8 speed holdouts like me. these are for RECREATIONAL USE, not racing! i wouldn't put them on a trek 5500, colgano, or litespeed, but for less expensive bikes, they're a good choice. we all can't afford to ride dura-ace or campy record.

shimano bar-cons, which also work very well, just not quite as handy to use from the hoods.

[Jul 07, 2003]
    Bruce Fritchman

Strength:

Durable Looks good 8-speed (I like 8-speed on my commute bike because it lasts twice as long as 9-speed)

Upshift in front is difficult from drops..I can downshift front and rear ok from the drops using the buttons...but the throw on the front for the upshift almost requires moving my hand to the hood I wish Shimano made a version of the Sora with downshift levers like the rest of their line

What can I say ? My Sora shifters have gone over 10,000 miles in two years of daily commuting...35 miles per day in hilly Seattle...that's somewhere around a gazillion shifts per day...and they still work fine and produce flawless shifts with fresh cables and proper adjustment

Shimano Deore