SRAM Red Shifters

Red

Proprietary Double Tap Mechanism with ZeroLoss Technology delivers smooth up and downshifts in one motion...

Deltadawg   Road Racer [Jan 24, 2011]
Strength:

light, looks good, precise, ergo. Good price for what you get!

looks fragile, doesn't have the half shift like Shimano does.

The rear shifter is awesome - very precise, ergo, predictable, and I can count on that thing getting into teh smallest gear every time when sprinting while I fly through the gears. I only wish teh front had a half up shift to quit rubbing teh der. like Shimano has.

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace, Campy
waltldep   Recreational Rider [Jul 30, 2010]
Strength:

Comfort for small and medium hands. Responsiveness. Adjustability of shifter paddle. Weight. Braking feel.

Minimal feathering. Awkward feel for x-large hands.

Liked the precision of Red shifters and compatability with Shimano DA cassette and chain. I can see how a sprinter would like the instantaneous upshift. However, I really missed the robust feathering ability that Shimano gives you to utilize more of the gear range for each chainring. My extra large paws never got comfortable either, so I switched back to Shimano DA 7800's.

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace 7800
Sc0ttyb0y   Road Racer [Jun 12, 2010]
Strength:

Adjustable reach, weight, equal to in performance but cheaper then top Shimano or Campy

None so far

Love the entire groupo hae bike fitted with everything Red, love the adjustable reach great for those with small hands.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura-ace 10 speed
Justridinalong   Road Racer [May 14, 2009]
Strength:

weight, control, easy to use, accurate shifting. zero loss touch. adjustability (sp?) being able to move the shift lever back towards the bar while riding

none that I have found.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy to have made the leap! No more shimano on my bike, EVER!!! unless it is DI2...but that is a pipe dream.

Similar Products Used: Force, Rival, Dura-ace and ultegra
Luke Farkas   Triathlete [May 04, 2009]
Strength:

Double tap
Light
Reach adjustability
Sleek looking

Have not found any yet

These shifters are fantastic. I am a former Shimano dura ace 9 user and I "made the leap" to sram and I love it. Don't let people convince you that the throw is too far. It is almost identical to shimano as far as throw distance. I can't believe how easy it was to switch to double tap, and now I really like it!

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura-Ace 9
messyparrot   Triathlete [Jul 27, 2008]
Strength:

It is beautiful, light weight, very easy to use. It encourages me to push myself, I love it.

Pricey but kewl stuff often is.

Goodness, it was soooo easy to adjust to the double tap system. I have to say the machine is wayyy better than me. It allows you to accelerate by shifting so quickly I wish I could muster up the legs to go with it. lol

Similar Products Used: Ultegra
James D.   Road Racer [Jul 10, 2008]
Strength:

Smooth, very fast shifting
Very light effort
Don't have the 'clothes hanger' wires off the handle bars anymore.
Comes with Jagwire shift cables!!! :-)

Can brake and Down-shift at the same time!! Try that with your Ultegra Setup!!

Front shifter - when going from the little ring to the big ring, if I move the lever too far, it seems to get hung up on the rubber boot of the shifter and does not automatically return behind the brake lever. BUT the shift is perfect, even when I push the lever too far.

Rear Shifter - if you're in the smallest gear in the back, and you push on the shifter lever, you go down 1 gear. Small frustration when going downhill, and you've wound out the gears.

Oh, why didn't I do this sooner?!? There is NO hesitation in the shifting, the shifting is very positive and smooth, and the brake levers are more powerful than the Ultegra units (still with the Ultegra brakes for now).

Hoods are mostly comfortable. I believe that I will get used to them soon enough. Even though I put the shifters in the same spot as the Ultegra Units, they feel like they sit lower. Keep this in mind BEFORE you put the handlebar tape on.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra, 105
johnnydrz   Recreational Rider [Jun 29, 2008]
Strength:

Fast
Precise
Efficient
Easy to get used to
Weight (even if I'm not a weight-weenie)
Looks (not a priority for me)

Price?

RED shifters, used in combination with Dura-Ace cassette and chain. SRAM Rival rear derailleur. This is the combo my mechanic recommended. Fast, precise, efficient. Zero-loss is fantastic. The shifters themselves are "noisy" while shifting, a la Campy, but everything else is noiseless. This is really a great combo. I have been using Ultegra up til now, which are great also. But this is different. I have small hands/fingers and the adjustability of the SRAM REDS is perfect for me.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra
Jonathan Austin   Recreational Rider [Feb 10, 2008]
Strength:

lightweight
longer brake levers and larger surface area for shifter paddles
very quick and solid shifting
look very cook

price!!!!

got the new sram red shifters after using sram rival and durace 9spd. before that. the red shifters are really impressive. i loved the feel of the rival shifters but the red has completely honed the feel of these babies. the slightly elongated brake lever helps with smoothing out the braking and the shifting is very quick and solid. perhaps my favorite improvement over previous model is how fast and solid the front chainring shifting is. I would really have to twist my wrist to get from the small ring to the big sometimes. now it's all done in just a quick flick of the wrist. i really don't use the adjustability factor on these because i have pretty large hands. nonetheless, between the zero loss technology, the elongated brake levers and larger shifter paddles, and the ridiculously light weight these shifters are the best things out there right now. if only they weren't so damn expensive. are they that much better than force? maybe, maybe not. but if you're not shy about throwing down a little cash and want to treat yourself to the best shifters in the world, these are the way to go.

Similar Products Used: sram rival
shimano 10 spd. ultegra
shimano 9spd. dura ace
ejprez   Road Racer [Jan 09, 2008]
Strength:

Light, Great ergonomic fit, quick and precise shifting. Looks nice. Adjustability.

Expensive, not sure why the MSRP is so high, especially compared to Record.

Well I only got about 100 miles on the entire groupo alone. The shifters are just great, I'm coming off of using force, DA 10 before that, and these shift so much quicker.

The shifting on both sides is almost instantaneous, as in there is almost no travel before you feel the click. The front shifter has trim in the big instead of the small ring, I personally like the other way better with force, but I'll be fine. The sprint shifting on the right is so much better when you're in the drops. With force I really had to twist my wrist, which was awkward when doing out of the saddle sprints so I ususaly just used as I would with a Dura ace shifter when sprinting. Now with red you just have to move you're finger a little and it'll work easily when in the drops.

The brake lever is a tad longer too which helps with braking, and the ability to adjust it too is very nice.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra 9, Dura Ace 9, Dura ace 10, Force.