3T Zep Stem Stems

3T Zep Stem Stems

130 grams (110mm) CNC machined from 2030 alloy with Titanium hardware.

[Aug 14, 2008]
DM.Aelis

Short and sweet. Bought the stem, trusted the 3T name and the light weight, figured I got a good deal.

Playful little sprint on flat ground (not even all out), bolts on faceplate snap, I go down, nasty road rash and bruises.

Disappointed in the extreme. 2 bolt version, I'm never buying a 2 bolt again and certainly not a 3T again.

Terrible product. BUYER BEWARE

[Jun 13, 2007]
derek mcclain

Strength:

light, good feel from road, perfect angle, no previous problems.

upper bolt snapped, causing uncontrollable swerving

riding my 2002 jamis eclipse monday and all the sudden, SNAP! sounded like a gun went off. i swerve to the right uncontrollably followed by swerves to the left, right etc. somehow managed to stay upright but ended up going into the grass off the trail and dumped my ride going about 8 mph. had this happened when the bolt broke when i was going 21 mph and i wouldn't be writing this today. i was very lucky. hall bike in cedar rapids, ia was absolutely no help. i will never shop there again. and i find it unbelieveable how they treated me. they totally are trying to sweep this problem under the rug.

[Sep 22, 2004]
Acenturian

Strength:

Looks, weight

2 bolt design

Pretty light stem. Very cool blue color (never seen another in blue) It works, I have not had any problems with it. The overall look is very cool, wish it was a four bolt design.

[Jul 12, 2004]
munga22

Strength:

Lightweight

Poor build quality. Threads stripped (apparently I'm not the only one who has had this problem)

Had this stem put on my new bike a month ago. I have travelled with my bike a couple times since so I've taken off and put back on the face plate several times (I take the bars off when the bike goes on a plane). Returned last night from a trip and was reassembling the bike. Put the faceplate on, was BEGINNING to tighten (was not applying a lot of force) and the threads stripped from one of the holes. Incredibly aggravating. Very poor construction from such a big name in cycling.

[Sep 12, 2003]
llbr22

Strength:

Light

Scary! I've emailed the comany, and so far they have responed, but as soon as I emailed them the desciption of the problem... silence...

Beware! Like one review pointed out, the stem bolts that hold the handlebar clamp can break. Same thing happened to me! I haven't made any adjustments to this stem in months!

[Sep 11, 2003]
danielc

Strength:

Lightweight and stiff. No creaking or loosening of bolts.

It would be nice to have a four bolt face plate. The aluminum seems to pick up one or two scratches.

I have the 3T Zepp 120mm stem and not the 'XL' version for 31.8mm bars. I find it very stiff considering it is relatively light (I'm also only 140lbs). When I built my bike I was constantly adjusting both clamps and never had problems with the bolts. I also mated the stem to 3T Prima 199 handlebars and they seem to work real well. Since then I've put in over 2K miles with lots of climbing and haven't noticed any creaking or loosening of the bolts. I also did a fair amount of training with aerobars and didn't have a problem with the handlebar/stem clamp loosening. I know other people with the same stem/handlebar combo and they have no complaints. Considering how cheap you can get these stems now, I think they are a solid deal.

Ritchey Pro stem.

[Aug 17, 2003]
Thomas

And that ain't all. Cannondale Corp. of Bethel, CT is recalling about 1,300 2002 and 2003 model year bikes with stems that can break, leading to loss of control. Cannondale says it heard of four breaks and one minor injury. The company warns that more serious injuries could occur, however. The stems are black with "3T ZEPP XL" printed in white on the sides. The faceplate also reads "3T" in white. Tecno Tubo Torino of Italy made the stems. The following models are included: 2002 R3000 Si, Double; 2003 R3000 Si, Double; 2002 R3000 Si, Triple; 2003 R3000 Si, Triple; 2002 R4000 Si; 2003 R6000 Si, Saeco Team Replica; 2002 R5000 Si; 2002 Black Lightning; and 2002 Chain Gang. The problem stems (no pun intended) from the fact that the two recessed holes for the bolts in the stem that clamp the handlebar in place weren't drilled deeply enough. The bolts, therefore, could strip or come loose. Dealers sold the affected cycles between March of last year and this July for between $3,400 and $5,000. Contact any authorized Cannonade dealer or call (800) BIKEUSA for a free repair. Or see www.cannondale.com.

[Jun 14, 2003]
mbjel

Strength:

Stiff, relatively light 152 gms for 110 size, 167 gms for 120 gm size.

Titanium bolts will snap after several loosenings and tightenings plus crashes.

This stem is realitively stiff. I have the XL model in 110 and 120 sizes. The 110 recently died in a crash. I have had zero problems with the stems but have noticed that after several loosening a retightenings the top ear on the steerer clamp began too weaken (i.e. the two ears would get closer and closer together to maintain the same torque on the bolt). I weight about 170 lbs and a masher and sprinter I use 46 cm bars so I guess I generate a fair amount of stress on the stem. The stem never gave up or felt flexy, BTW I used the Zepp XL bars. My recommendation is to set up this stem once and leave it alone. If your situation necessitates you loosen the bolts frequently (eg. travel) then get something else.

[May 30, 2003]
V02-Max

Strength:

Stiff Super Light Problem free Easy adjustment Flip ability (pos or Neg rise) looks great

none to date Would prefer the inate security of a 4 bolt design

over 1,400 miles of PTP racing, crit racing, training and recreational riding on my Zepp without a single problem (hope I didn't just jinx myself).

Syncros (One of the greates bike companies ever) Ritchey (over hyped crap from an over hyped company founded by an over hyped guy) Litespeed

[Apr 04, 2003]
Steve

Strength:

Light weight aluminum but so is a gum wrapper!I

Dangerous Product!?

This stem seemed fragile when I mounted it. I used it for months and ended up changing to a Ritchey WCS because I did not have confidence in it's strength. When I ordered my Ritchey I was told by that LBS that there had been a recall of the Zepp XL due to failure. I checked and found a CPSC recall due to the bar-clamp detaching from the stem. DO NOT USE THIS STEM OR YOU RISK SERIOUS INJURY! I have still seen this stem being used as standard equipment on some current model bikes. Hopefully they have corrected this problem but would you take a chance?!!9

3T Forgie (good but heavy) Ritchey WCS (probably the best made stem at a reasonably light weight).