Cinelli Alter Stems

Alter

Sizes: 90-100-110-120-130-140. Clamp diameter: 26.0 Angle: 80° Weight: 210 gr. Screw: stainless steel. Construction: C.N.C. Assembly: Alter is also suitable for traditional forks if used with a special adapter, Quill, produced in aluminum alloy AL 7075 T6 with screws in stainless steel and expander aluminum to assembly the stem on old forks with an extra weight of only 75 grams. Height control is guaranteed with a special aluminum adjustable cup, Spacers, built in aluminum alloy AL 6082 T6 to give much height, guaranteeing always the best touch with the headset block.

the beef   Recreational Rider [Oct 15, 2007]
Strength:

Looks amazing; definitely gets a lot of compliments/questions/attention. Stiff; sturdy.

It's rather heavy as far as stems go.

I've never been actually big or strong enough to really feel stem flex, but it's quite easy for anyone to tell that the Alter is one stiff mofo. Hot-as-hell machined looks, and a really solid mounting design with recessed bolts and three front plate bolts for extra security.

Similar Products Used: Deda Zero stem - somewhat similar to the Cinelli Alter. The Zero in my opinion doesn't look nearly as good and probably can't match the sturdiness of the Alter; it's just as heavy, however. Alter wins.
Ted Gniffke   Road Racer [Sep 02, 2007]
Strength:

it's very strong and causes extreme jealousy among my friends.

A bit heavy.

I love this stem it's strong, great looking, and all my friends want to buy it from me.

tcolucci   Road Racer [Jun 22, 2005]
Strength:

Stiff, easy adjustment, smooth. Different but great look.

None that matter.

Just a really cool stem. The look is very unique, and while not as light the carbon craze stems, it is not a clunker at all. Extremely stiff and the removable 3 bolt bar clamp is excellent for being able to make adjustments. Also, the steerer clamp is great because the bolts are recessed into the side of the stem. No protruding bolt flanges to hit a knee on when you lose all decent form while trying to catch that psycho attack on the local mountain climb... 1" is not a problem since I have a 2003 Colnago.

Similar Products Used: Modolo, ITM Millenium, Cinelli Groove
noah_pression   Road Racer [Jun 05, 2004]
Strength:

its pretty strong

getting it tight on the fork takes some tuning

i'm using it on my fixie. it works out really well and the length is great since i'm a bigger rider. i love the look of it and i got it in saeco custom colors so it would match my bike

DY   Road Racer [Sep 25, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff and strong. 3 bolt face plate. I’m a bigger rider (6’, 175 – 185) and I never heard a creak. You don't have to worry about stripping the bolts like with other stems. I must have taken this stem on and off, adjusted it, switched between bikes, etc. 50 times and never had a problem with stripping the threads using moderate hand tightening. Cool fork collar tightening (bolts) on opposite side from rider. Available in colors.

Not as streamlined nor as light as other higher end stems. Only works for a 1" steerer

I used these on my last bike. I saw them I loved the modern CNC'd look. Some probably either like the look or hate it. They were on sale for $19 so I bought one.

Similar Products Used: Cinelli, Ritchey, Stella Azzurra, ITM
Mark   Road Racer [Mar 31, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff, solid feel when climbing and sprinting. Quality construction.

Heavier that some stems.

I swithched from a ITM Millenium set up to the Cinelli Alter w/ Deda 215 bars. I weigh 160 and am a fairly powerful sprinter. The difference was immediately noticeable. My front end is now very stiff and I have confidence when tourquing the bars in a sprint. If you use your upperbody when climbing or sprinting I reccomend this stem. If you weigh 130-140 and are a pure climber then I would go with a lighter stem.

Similar Products Used: ITM Millenium
skirschner   Road Racer [Nov 20, 2002]
Strength:

Stiff. Great looking

Fork mount took some adjusting to keep from moving without over-tightening the bolts

Bought it because of the 3 bolt pattern, looks different and goes with the overall Cinelli bike setup

jharris022   Recreational Rider [Nov 16, 2002]
Strength:

larger footprint on both bars and fork than any other stem, so you can overtighten a bit and be forgiven. Very stiff. Looks great.

Some squeaking; resolved with nylon tape on the threads. Chromed bolts on the bar side are angled upwards; these are rusting from getting hit with sweat. these should be stainless bolts.

While Cinelli did not recommend using a stem this stiff with the carbon bars, I've had no problems. I've put over 7,000 miles on this stem with an easton carbon handlebar. I pull really hard on climbs and this combination has been great. There was some slippage at first but I retorqued to 70 in-lbs on both bars and fork stem; problem fixed.

Similar Products Used: Only had quill stems before, and all were Cinelli.
Jon Kraft   Road Racer [Jun 21, 2002]
Strength:

Stiff, machined

None yet. Not the lightest stem available

I put this on my carbon bike to stiffen up the bars when climbing and sprinting. It did just what I need and it looks good. Nice choice of color combinations.