Cinelli Solido Stems

Solido

• Sizes: 100 - 105 - 110 - 115 - 120 - 125 - 130 - 140
  • Clamp diameter: 26.0
  • Fork clamp diameter: 28,6 mm (1 1/8") - with reduction sleeve to 25,4 (1")
  • Angle: 80°/100°
  • Weight: 125 gr. /110

• User Reviews (9)

gemclco   [Apr 13, 2013]
    Strength:

No comment.

Two bolt stem clamp with titanium bolts.

I have read several post by riders who had Cinelli Solido stems where one of the Titanium bolts in the two bolt stem clamp failed (sheared off). I am interested in talking to anyone who has experienced this. I am a lawyer. I have a client this happened to. he was riding on a paved street, on his way to work. When the bolt broke he lost control, crashed, broke his neck and died. My name is George McLaughlin. Denver, Colorado. Direct dial to my office is: 720 542-7885 My work email address is gmclaughlin@tractorlaw.com

Bumblebee Man   Road Racer [Jul 19, 2007]
    Strength:

Looks, angle, price

may or may not creak at the cap :-)

Bummer! I just bought a second one of these, and now, having read these reviews, I suspect my other one does creak!!

After my 2nd purchase, I Googled the stem just to see if I got a bargain, and these reviews came up. I guess my other Solido does creak, but it didn’t dawn on me that it was the stem; I assumed it’s just that I didn’t have enough grease where the stem attaches to the heavily-lacquered steerer. It’s not really a ‘creak’, it’s more of a ‘click’, and it’s intermittent. Ah well, it’s not that bad, and my new one does NOT creak. The comment below about uneven wear under the cap is very interesting, and something I didn’t know -- I’ll check mine some day soon.

I have no slipping problems.

Apart from that, these stems are fine; they look fantastic, they are on a steep enough angle (most stuff around here is 6 degrees), not too expensive, and they seem to me to be as stiff as my other stems (mostly Easton EA50s and ITMs), but I’m not a sprinter, so I don’t really mash the bars.

Similar Products Used: Eastons, ITM
    gear1152   Road Racer [Jun 25, 2007]

I never had any problem with creak or slipping (I have been using the Solido/Solida Stem/Bar combo. Performed fine for a long time, but last week one of the Ti bolts sheared off after hitting a pothole in a race on a downhill. I managed to slow the bike significantly before the second bolt broke. I've been careful with the torque, and after reading some of the other reviews, I would highly recommend ditching your Ti bolts for steel ones if you are currently riding this stem. Overall, this stem survived many years of poorly paved urban roads, but it only takes that last pothole to cause it to fail, so be careful.

sevenrd   Recreational Rider [Aug 02, 2005]
    Strength:

Light weight. No problems after about 2 years of use.

None so far.

No problems with this stem so far. Maybe I lucked out and got a better-machined version of this stem than previous reviewers. Bars don't rotate. Don't notice any flex from the stem. From my experience it's been a reliable, light component that does it's job without me noticing...which is a good thing. If I noticed the stem I suppose it would be due to a problem. No complaints here.

Similar Products Used: Ibis Ti quill. Ritchey WCS.
    Ronald   Road Racer [Jul 15, 2004]
    Strength:

Looks, flip-able, comes with 1 inch adapter.

-Two bolt system, when one snaps you're lucky not to crash. If you need a stem get a four bolt design! -Titanium bolts for end cap, these snap too easily. -Slippery inside of the stem, they should roughen it up a bit. -Price, it's too much, comparable stems could be had for 50%.

After using this stem for some time i'll never buy a two bolt stem again. First problem was the handlebars slipping in the stem. I tried to tighten the bolts but this didn't help much. I cured the problem by using some sandpaper on the inside on the stem. After that the stem performed fine until one of the titanium bolts snapped. Luckely i managed to stop without crashing. Replaced the titanium top bolts by some steel ones, after that it worked ok.

Similar Products Used: Look Ergostem, BBB Litestem, older Cinelli quill stems.
    martin   Road Racer [Apr 13, 2003]
    Strength:

Light weight, good looks

As above, lack of security even with the correct bars, leading to failure of one of the bolts.

I can not recommend this product- I have used Cinelli for years and bought the stem together with Solida bars for their looks and light weight. Right from the start I found it impossible to tighten the bar clamp enough to prevent the bars from slipping down if I hit the slightest pothole. Then recently while riding along a smooth stretch of road the head of one of the bolts sheared off, leaving me with wobbly bars, and nearly causing a crash!

Similar Products Used: Various Cinelli and ITM quill stems, Colnago (ITM) ahead stem (perfect so far)
    Hackney   Road Racer [Mar 17, 2003]
    Strength:

Pretty. Light.

Flexy. Creeks. Fairly expensive.

Would have written a different review 3 months ago. Lightweight, good looking stem but always had a slight creak with Deda 215 bars. Uneven wear marks on the inside of the stem clamp indicates uneven CNC machining - hence the creak probably. Still - a good stem, so I thought. Calamity last week; stripped one of the Ti stem clamp bolts - even with a torque wrench. Changed to an 120 mm ITM Four stem and can't believe the diffence in rigidity in every plane. The ITM is definitely heavier but it's made such a positive difference to the front end - no creaking either.

Similar Products Used: ITM Four
    Juanmoretime   Recreational Rider [May 19, 2002]
    Strength:

Same as before

None.

Well this is an update on my first review. I changed handlebars, Cinelli''''s of course, and the creak is gone. I guess my old bars were slight undresized or the Cinelli stam and bar mate together better. I don''''t know but I''''m happy, it''''s a great stem.

Juanmoretime   Triathlete [May 10, 2002]
    Strength:

No welds, Love the black color and nice machining.

Ti bolts, put in steel, it only adds five grams and brings the weight up to 130 grams.

Very light and stiff stem. I had a 130 and went to a 110. Typical of any product with ti bolts, creak. The longer one being a longer lever, creaked a lot. The one 110 creaks much less. I going to replace the ti bolts with steel to eliminate the creak. It will add about 5 grams, big deal it''''s still very light.

Similar Products Used: TTT, Kore, Specialized, Controltech, Icon.