DEDA Murex Stems

DEDA Murex Stems

26.0 clamp. 90mm to 140mm.

[Apr 19, 2011]
rodentfield

Strength:

Light, cheap, easy to install, cool design

Heavier than advertised, clamp?

I bought this used off ebay, 120 mm. I've ridden it a lot and have had no problems with it. It doesn't seem flexible at all, although I only weigh 130 lb. The clamp is supposed to be 26.0 but seems a little small. It appears to fit correctly after being tightened, though. It doesn't slip. My 120 mm version weighs 305 g. It looks nice with a black steel frame.

Cinelli 1E

[Jul 07, 2005]
campybike

Strength:

Two bolt clamp is more reliable than other front opening quill stems like Modolo.

Looks. Also, hardware gets rusty. First generation polished version with no graphics and traditional styling is much nicer.

HOW TO FIX DEDA MUREX TORSIONAL FLEX!!! Excess flex is probably due to flex being controlled only by your two bolts. To fix: 1. loosen both bar clamp bolts. 2. tighten the REAR bolt until the clamp is firmly clamped to the stem. 3. Now use only the front bolt to clamp your bar. Now the entire width of the rear portion of the clamp is preventing twisting. Having both a front and back gap in the clamp permits any flexing that the bolts alone might allow.

3T Motus (nice) Modolo Stems (forget it) Cinelli Pinochio (very nice) Cinelli XA (flexy) 3T Synthesis (super flexy)

[Oct 27, 2002]
rc rc

Strength:

literally and structurally - none

excessive deflection, alloy quill bolt prone to stripping. gray finish is very cheesy. must grease steerer to avoid creaking, guaranteed.

i do not recommend this stem. as said before it is inherently weak and flexible. something in your steering system should not be this structurally weak and underdesigned. would you put a "flexible" rod in the suspension on your car?? i'm tempted to say that aggressive sprinters may actually break this stem! seek out a threadless conversion instead.

cinelli xa - built like tanks compared to this murex

[Jul 31, 2002]
Rick

Strength:

Looks, price

flexes and creaks

This stem has been a problem since day one. I noticed how flexy it was on the first hill climb. I stayed with it because it looks great on the bike. Then it started to creak terrible. Ive lubed it every way possible and even tried plumbers taped between the bar and stem to no avail. I am using a Deda 215 bar with the correct 26.0 diameter so my problem isnt there. I finally tightened the bolts too tight. I ended up pulling the treads right out of the stem. I have since ordered the Salsa SUP and cant believe the difference in stiffness. I can actually tell I have more control in the steering dept. Even on things like swerving around pot holes at less than all out sprinting speeds. This stem rocks in comparrison. Dont buy a Murex!

3T, Salsa

[Jul 29, 2002]
Matno

Strength:

Light weight, good looks, shock absorption

Torsional flex... if that bothers you. I love it. Expensive, if you buy new.

I see lots of people complaining about this stem's strength (or lack thereof), but I have yet to hear of a single breakage. On the other hand, it is torsionally quite flexy. However, I find that the flex does wonders for absorbing road vibrations. There is no up/down or side to side flex at all. The stem looks great and is really light. Hard to go wrong with that combo...

Profile H2O (super stiff, but really heavy), Sakae custom (no complaints but kind of heavy. Not very flashy).

[Jan 28, 2002]

Strength:

Good looks. Removable face. Good workmanship quality.

Flexible like a Cirque du Soleil performer. Poor choice of materials/design. Expensive. Durability.

I do not recommend this product. A sales person from a Colorado based bicycle retailer suggested this stem to me because I was looking for a removable face design stem for my bicycle. This one fit the needs at first and I never noticed any creaking or that much flexing in it on my rides. A friend of mine started to complain about the cheap stem on his bicycle flexing under power and giving him that feeling of "instability". He decided to give mine a torque and I was suprised to see how much it gave. I knew my Control Tech one never moved that much, but since I had started to spin more in my sprints and climbs, I never really noticed it. I kept it on there because it was a beautiful piece of metal, but you never know if it''s flexiness could hurt you in situation such as in a big sprint or a hard turn. The biggest problem came when I got a new frame and wanted to take the stem off. I had lubed everything when I had first installed it, but I guess with all the training in "not ideal" conditions, everything siezed in it. I have beat on and ignored my Control Tech stem far worse and never had problems. I nearly babied this stem, only to find out that it had siezed itself tighter than if it had been welded in place on my bike. None of the parts would knock itself loose and I ended up having to take a hacksaw to it. Right now I still have the lower half of the stem stuck inside my fork steerer. Too many of the parts were cheap and they corroded and/or stripped. I guess this would be a good item for someone who has the money to have a shop maintain their bicycle, or who would rather maintain a bike than ride it, but for serious working Joe racers, I''m afraid that this one is too delicate.

Control Tech

[Jul 15, 2001]
Pete Biggs

Strength:

Clamp, weight, looks

The shorter length versions can't be raised high,
Not mega-stiff

I'm now on second Murex, a silver 12cm this time (was using 13cm black--see review below, trying a shorter stem to ease my back!). Note. "6 months" = for both stems.

It may be more flexy than the stiffest stems around but obviously, I didn't think it was TOO flexy, else I wouldn't have bought another one. In my experience, it is no more felexible than an average alloy stem. It is designed to be used with 26.0 bars, not 25.4, not 25.8, but =26.0=. I wonder if other users' problems are due to wrong bars, or some other incompatibility? I noticed that the (similar) Cinelli Frog I used was badly flexy when I failed to do the bolts up evenly.

Also, my Murex's have never creaked.

The clamp design makes this stem very convenient to fit. The angle of the bolts is annoying, but it's not a major problem, and the design does make the stem take up very little room on the bars, leaving more room for computer, lights, etc.

The shape is fantastic. The matt silver finish looks nice but is not as good as the (matt) black, mainly becuase it won't match anything else on most bikes. The polished silver is hard/impossible to find.

Only 4 stars this time because it bothers me that the shaft is unnecessarily short. When you get a shorter extension, it's natural to put stem up higher, and you're too limited.

Big guys/powerful sprinters: convert to threadless, or get a fat heavy cromo job. I recommend this stem to everyone else.

Also consider the Cinelli Frog though--same material, 3 bolt front clamp, shiny black finish, wacky looks, weighs a little more, maybe a fraction stiffer.

Cinelli Frog, various other regular stems

[Jun 22, 2001]
Antonino Cangialosi

Strength:

Looks pretty cool. Matches 215 stem.

Creeks like a mother and way too flexy

I am getting rid of mine for a Synchros hinged. This thing creeks like a M-er F-er even though I regreased three times in just under 1000 miles. Forget about sprinting. All your energy will be lost on the flex. If it wasn't for the fact that my threaded KMS fork is the same ruby red pattern as bike, I would have upgraded to threadless for a more solid stem.

Profile H20

[Jan 22, 2001]
Mike Gabbay

Strength:

Looks nice and detachable face plate.

Flexible

For longer stem lengths this stem seems too flexible. The bars can be twisted an inch or more side to side. I'm going back to a more traditional stem - TTT or Cinelli. It's not worth $60 and the weight savings is not that great.

Cinelli XA

[Apr 23, 2000]
David

Strength:

Detatchable faceplate
Reasonable weight
Looks cool

none for me!

I like the detatchable faceplate (I have two sizes, and can readily switch as needed). The stem is a little flexible rotationally (i.e., as you pull/push on one side of the handlebar) but not excessively so. Fit and finish is very nice... what more can I say - it's a stem!

Profile