DEDA Newton Stems

Newton

Deda Elementi Newton 31 Road Stem: 1-piece, CNC machined 2024-T3 aluminum main body construction. 6/4-titanium hardware with removable, 4-bolt aluminum faceplate. Flip-flop design for 82-degree or 98-degree use...

jefseven   Recreational Rider [Jan 12, 2012]
Strength:

strong, light

expensive

I've read a lot of reviews about these stems and I wish I could find the mounting instructions. Unless the instructions SPECIFICALLY tell you to lube the threads this should NEVER BE DONE! Lubing will throw off the torque, especially in the case of a delicate part like this. If I recall correctly, and I may not, since I've used ITM's and Cinelli's as well, they call for the use of spacers, although I know the torque spec. is used here.

Having said that, I always put these on following manufactures's spec's (in this case, printed on the stem itself) and have never had a problem with any stem, ever! I've had fatigue fractures after a couple of years use, and these need to be discarded, but that's to be expected after all the flexing and torsion these go through.

These are one of my favorites so far. Even though they're somewhat expensive, they're light and strong and have outlasted almost everything else, except a Cinelli, which are even more expensive. I also use the Newton bars and I like keeping the two in tandem.

Similar Products Used: Cinelli, ITM
maurice saunders   Recreational Rider [Oct 09, 2009]
Strength:

light

easily cracked

Very light alloy stem, but recently developed a crack in the steering tube
clamp. Deda said it's from overtightening
but I use a small hex and am very carefull
so as not to crack the carbon steering tube.
Not covered by warrenty. I think these super
light alloy stems are too delecate. I am
a light rider too, so little stress.

Jeffrey   Commuter [Jul 04, 2009]
Strength:

? I wouldn't know. The product failed.

I honestly beleive this to be a case of the torque specs being too high. If I had used my better judgement I would have simply used the same torque specs as most other stems I have used. But what I just followed the manufacturers reccomendation.

I went about installing the stem. I greased the bolt threads and tightened bolts using a torque wrench in an X pattern. Never got a chance to ride with the stem though as the bolts cored out the threads of the stem.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, easton, ritchey, bontrager
acid_rider   Recreational Rider [Mar 03, 2008]
Strength:

4 degree angle is less steep then usual 6 or 8 degree so you need fewer spacers flipped down and if flipped up it looks better in +4 position compared to +6 or +8 stems.

price is very high for a small aluminium part. alloy is not rocket science! hence average 3/5 value rating.

this is review for Newton 31-86 stem, i.e. 4 degrees not the Newton 8 degree. i have 3 of these: 100mm, 110mm and 120mm for different bikes. great stem, excellent angles, compatible with non-Deda 31.8mm O/S bars. i dont know why others dont make +-4 degree stems, they are perfect for less flexible riders who may find 6 and 8 degree stems too steep.

Similar Products Used: BBB, Bontrager, Specialized
ladams   Road Racer [Apr 08, 2005]
Strength:

Light. Been reliable for me.

None that I have found.

I have used the Newton Stems since they have come out and never bothered to read the reviews until today and was surprised. I am 6'1" and 200+ sprinter/TT sorta racer. I have never experienced the problems mentioned and have four of the stems in various lengths and ages that get swapped around a bit. I do grease the threads when first out of the box and am careful with getting the bolt tension even, although I use feeler gauges to set even spacing as my torque wrenchs are for bigger stuff.

Similar Products Used: Think of a high quality stem over the last 35 years and I have used it.
KenNJ   Recreational Rider [Mar 26, 2005]
Strength:

Good ads and pro sponsorship which provide cover for the junky products they release.

Two stems in four years. It's a ratio I can't afford to maintain. Time to move to another manufactuere.

Two stems, both of them have broken. It's time to move on to something safer and more reliable. On the first stem the face plate cracked. That was replaced. Then the steere clam cracked. I made the mistake of purchasing another Deda stem. This one has lasted just ovre a year and again the steerer clamp has cracked. And yes I have a torque wrench and follow manufacterer's guidelines.

Similar Products Used: Richtey. These components appear very solid and will be my choice moving forward. Cinelli
Road cyclist   Recreational Rider [Jan 14, 2005]
Strength:

No clamping problems or stripped bolts. I think the tightening torque specs are too high.

No weakness so far

Deda Newton stem with a Carbon steer tube I recently purchased a Deda Newton stem and a Reynolds carbon front fork with a new cycle purchase. The Reynolds fork included a product warning about not using certain types of offset clamping stems. I called Reynolds up and they said that they have had no problems with Deda stems, even though the Deda Newton has a slight offset clamping system. It seems Reynolds carbon steerer tubes don't like to be point loaded. Anyway I found very slight impressions on the steer tube after low trial clamping from the stem's inside machined edges. I think it is wise to lightly take 400 grit wet sandpaper and relieve the sharp inside aluminum edges on the Deda stem which can have a high stress concentration. Just using caution here.

wzq622   Recreational Rider [Aug 03, 2004]
Strength:

lightweight, looks, durability

I have used the Deda Newton stem for two years, and it has performed flawlessly. I built my bike two years ago and have not had to retighten the bolts since. The bolts have never came loose and securely hold the handlebar in place. I have ridden over various terrain and have encountered numerous road hazards. My bike has been over potholes, cobbles, gravel, dirt, and numerous road surfaces. The stem help up perfectly and I never had problems with loose bolts or stripped threads. The Deda Newton is an excellent stem that instills confidence in my rides. With proper installation, this stem will not strip or come loose.

Similar Products Used: 3T zepp XL
Eric_H   Road Racer [Mar 16, 2004]
Strength:

Light, stiff, Ti bolts will not rust like non-stainless bolts in ITM Millennium.

None that I have found.

I bought this stem reluctantly as the reviews are very mixed. After deciding to go with Deda Newton bars my sense of fashion dictated my choice, I wanted my bar and stem to match! I have had zero problems with stripped bolts, cracked faceplates or slipping bars. I greased the bolt threads and bolt heads liberally and tightened them in a "Z" fashion uniformly, using a standard Bondhus 4mm allen wrench (no torque wrench). Everything seems fine. The stem is very well finished and stiff for its weight.

Similar Products Used: ITM Millennium, Ritchey WCS, 3T Forgie.
  Recreational Rider [Jan 30, 2004]
Strength:

weight, durability, looks, craftsmanship

none! -FYI: i have read lots of reviews about stripped bolts and etc. Perhaps there are minor problems but i have not had any. Greasing the bolts a little eases the installation. Also, there does not need to be nore than a few ft.lbs of torque when installing (No more than 5 ft.lbs) Personally, with all the "fragile" parts on bikes, such equiptment Need No Nore Than Three Fingers on an Allen, or a ball and socket wrench. Only tighten the bolts until they CANNOT be Tightened anymore With the Fore and Middlefinger, and the the Thumb (about 5 ft.lbs of torque) Using the entire hand to tighten a stem usually overpowers the wrench, resulting in stripped bolts. those are only techniques that i have found to be very useful when installing any "control" equiptment on bikes. while i may not be a pro mechanic, building numerous (+10 and counting) high end bikes in the last 2 years as a hobby has more than taught me installation techniques and all my bikes have more than satisfied my buyers.

!Awesome Product! There are more than 2000 miles on the stem, after a year of riding, and the Deda Newton has performed flawlessly. The titanium bolts with the aluminum, magnesium and copper alloy are a great match for lightweight and durability. i can climb and sprint with confidence because of the stem's strength and its reliability. Since August '03, i have not had to retighten the bolts or service the stem in any manner. The Deda Newton remains trouble-free and performs like new.