Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 Stems

Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 Stems

The Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 Stem is a lightweight stemThat does not sacrifice strength or rigidity for weight. 3-D Net forged from 2014 alloy for a superb strength-to-weight ratio Specially designed forged and contoured 4-bolt faceplate for use withTodays lightweight, oversized carbon and alloy bars 31.8 diameter for increased strength and rigidity 6 degree rise 120 grams manufacturers claimed weight (110mm)

[Jan 31, 2017]
Shane

Strength:

Light, stiff enough, reliable, looks good.

Price

I've had this on my road bike for a couple of years. I'm not a powerful cyclist, so I haven't noticed any flex. The bike steers accurately with it fitted. It has been perfectly reliable, the wet black finish also still looks new.

OVERALL
[Dec 15, 2010]
shp

Strength:

Nice looking (if you're into modern racing chic), light (mine was around 119g for the 90mm version)

Serious quality control issues: bad machining renders the stem practically unusable

I got a 2010 Ritchey EvoCurve handlebar for my new bike in a sale and decided to match it with this Ritchey stem, since it was also on sale, and had a nice matching 'wet black' finish. Initially, all seemed well.

Soon after that I noticed that my Chris King headset had come slightly loose. I re-tightened it, but after a couple of rides the looseness was back. Since the bike was new, I first thought that the headtube wasn't properly reamed and that the upper bearing cup was not sitting straight in the tube. However, after consulting the CK Technical Service Manual and trying on some spare stems, it turned out that the lower contact surface on the stem was not square with the steerer hole, and was causing the bearing cap to sit unevenly in the cup.

This stem (along with the bar) was the first Ritchey product I've owned, and it didn't exactly give me a good first impression. I would've expected better quality control from components that belong to their supposedly high-end WCS series.