Ritchey WCS Road Stems

WCS Road

Philger   Commuter [May 04, 2011]
Strength:

118g - 120mm

Felt quite weak and made creaking and sqeaking sounds whenever I pulled at the bar.

I bought this stem with a 25,4 clamp at the bay, because I wanted my commuter-bike to be as light as possible.
So of course I cannot admit that this stem was in the same shape as it left the factory, though I think the discomforting feeling I had while driving the bike with it is not connected with the used condition of the stem.

Basically, it just felt very weak when I pulled on the bar, not even with lots of force, and it made creaking sounds that kept me from leaving the saddle while driving.

As a result I installed the old 25$ ITM RACING stem from my road bike which stopped the creaking and the unsecure feeling.

Similar Products Used: itm - racing, cannondale - fire road
Trouble   Recreational Rider [Apr 09, 2011]
Strength:

None, this product had screw/thread failures.

Bolt pattern location of bolts and clamping surface.
Customer service is the worst in the industry.

Heavy, chunky and cheaply built

Similar Products Used: Thompson is THE BEST and Ritchey knows it.
Bontrager has THE BEST customer service.
Sam   Recreational Rider [May 30, 2010]
Strength:

light, stiff.

too weak. cracked

After about 2 years, it cracked. Good up until then.

Similar Products Used: Lots
zdpn03   Road Racer [Jul 01, 2008]
Strength:

Good value for a stem of this weight.

Cracked after less than one year of average usdage. Two piece face plate doesn't adequately cover the gaps in the stem where the handebars clamp on.

This review is for the newer version with two piece front handlebar plate.

I have used Ritchey WCS stems on all my bikes for many years and they have all performed great. However, this newer version does not appear to be made of the same quality. My stem developed a crack on the steerer tube clamp portion after about 10 months. This is the first stem that I have ever had crack on me. I don't know if this is just bad luck, or a sign that the material/design used for this version is not very durable.

Aesthetically, the front 2-piece stem clamp plate doesn't have a nice clean look. (It doesn't blend into the stem very well, leaving some open gaps showing where the handelbars attach.) The one piece face plates look much better.

Similar Products Used: WCS - previous version.
masshoff   Recreational Rider [Sep 01, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight.

Thin aluminum leads to failure.

I chose this stem because of its light weight and Ritchey's reputation. After a little more than a year of use, I discovered a small crack in the stem. Before the crack, the stem performed great - felt stiff enough, was very light, and no slippage. But the crack scared me enough to remove it immediatly. I don't ride what I'd consider "rough" roads (no cobblestones or anything), but New England roads are not the smoothest in the world, either.

Similar Products Used: Salsa Moto Ace, Bontrager
drewmcg   Road Racer [May 25, 2007]
Strength:

light, strong, does not damage carbon parts, reliable--even looks good.

This review is for the WCS OS stem (110mm)with two faceplates (not the 4 axis). I use this with a full carbon steer tube and carbon handlebars.

I love this stem. I'm 6'4" and 210-220lbs, and a strong rider. Despite being so very light, I never feel any flex in this stem. Recently re-installed (flipped) the stem based on fitting recommendation--no creaks before or after, and no damage to carbon steer tube or bars. Really, really good stem -- I feel no need for carbon stem after using this one.`

Similar Products Used: Specialized; 3T
valodja   Triathlete [Dec 01, 2006]
Strength:

price, weight, design, comfort

not rock-stiff

I have the "old version" with polished two-pieced front. I had a 110mm comp stamp and I decided, that I needed longer. So I bought a 120mm WCS from one guy. The comp wasn´t bad; 155gr. WCS has under 120gr, like it´s design and there was no problem with mounting, neither with squeaking during the drive. It´s just a little bit less stiff, so the ride is more comfy and in agressive attack, there is some flex, but not fatal.

Similar Products Used: ritchey comp
sigmabannysigma   Road Racer [Sep 23, 2006]
Strength:

No creaking!(better facebolt design)
Super Stiff
Very Light
Looks much better than the previous model.

NONE

This is a review for the WCS 4-AXIS. I had the older design(read my old review)which tended to creak when climbing. This 4-AXIS with the new faceplate design is substantially better as it does NOT creak. I think this is due to a larger contact area from the facebolt to the handle bar. It is super stiff(stiffer than the previous design) and very light. The new graphics are high class and look great.
I feel no flex when climbing, sprinting, cornering, or flying up a roller after a long and fast descent. Some stems will flex a little when you hit the intitial incline of a roller or hill after screaching down a descent at very high speeds. This stem has no flex and is very stiff.

Similar Products Used: previous WCS
Bontrager Race Lite
Felt

xcmtnbikernm   Road Racer [Sep 21, 2006]
Strength:

Lightest stem availible, solid clamp,
flex-free, nice clean design

none in the two years I have used it.

Don't be fooled by the light weight, this thing is strong.
It says retail value $99, but I have never seen it higher then $70

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race lite, profile hammer
Dave   Road Racer [Sep 08, 2006]
Strength:

Looks good
Strong
Light

None that a little locktight can't fix.

I used to dismiss Ritchey stuff as cheap junk, but when I got a specialized bike, I had to do the dorky thing and equip it with "team" equipment. So I ordered the 4axis stem, the WCS classic handlebar, and the WCS Carbon Post. I've been very impressed with the whole package, and I plan on using Ritchey stuff on bikes in the future.

As for the stem, I really like it. It creaked for the first few days, like everybody elses, but then I fixed it. How? Blue locktight. That blue magic fixes all creaks. Most stems nowdays include some kind of locktight on the bolts, but Ritchey doesn't. So the whole creak issue isn't a big deal really. Once I used that, I haven't heard a peep of of it.

Other than that, it's strong, and looks good. If I have to buy another stem, it'll be the same thing.