American Classic ISIS Bottom Bracket Bottom Brackets

ISIS Bottom Bracket

With our ISIS design, the cro-moly axle is placed as close as possible to a uniform tube with splines on the end. Competitor's bottom brackets place bearings on the spline. Bill Shook, designer of the American Classic ISIS BB, uses a split aluminum ring on each side that fits behind the spline, and upfront of a small shoulder.

longcoolmother   Recreational Rider [Apr 16, 2007]

crappy design
non-durable

bearings shot in 500 miles-- i have the previous generation, and servicing the bottom bracket was a nightmare. design flaws throughout including near inability to remove old bearings.

Keith   Recreational Rider [Jul 24, 2006]
Strength:

The design - lacks design.

There’s no doubt about this bottom bracket – it has a serious design flaw. The bear on the drive side is not captured, and after a period of time the bear comes loose of the housing and migrates away from the frame pulling the split pins apart and detaching the bearings from both the drive and non-drive side. The cup on the drive side has a seat that stops the bear heading inwards but there’s nothing to stop it heading outwards – it relies upon the non-drive bearing assembly to keep it in place. It’s only a question of time before the axle is pulled off the bearing housing housings and your troubles will begin.

However a drop of green loctite when you’ve re-seat the bearing on the drive side (assuming you’ve taken it all apart and re-assembled everything in place) will keep the bearing fixed in the housing.

This product is 10/10 for effort but 1/10 for performance

Similar Products Used: FSA - Campagnolo - Specialties
RoadieRob   Road Racer [Jun 16, 2006]
Strength:

Light

Failed after only a few months and hardly any miles.

POS is true - bearings are binding on me after 500 miles due to a bent spindle. I'm only 200 lbs. - the engineering on this BB is worthless (most of AC's other stuff is shoddy at times too - be careful!).

Similar Products Used: FSA, Token, Race Face
Rob   Road Racer [Jun 16, 2006]
Strength:

Light

Like the others have said, lousy engineering - I put in my 3-bearing FSA "tank" and what a difference. I'll gladly add back 150 grams for smooth pedalling!!!

Yep, it's a certified POS. I just got back from a century ride today and for 97 miles, I had a constant "click" on the top of the drive-side downstroke. I had 400 miles on it prior to today's 100. When I took it apart in the evening, there was a noticeable "bind" in the spindle / bearings. It sure was frustrating realizing that I was WASTING MY ENERGY over 5 hours as a result of this crappy BB. BTW, I'm 200 lbs. and it was on an Airborne titanium. It should be able to handle that combo for more than 400-500 miles!

Similar Products Used: FSA, Race Face, Token (all ISIS)
ndbike   Road Racer [May 03, 2006]
Strength:

Are you kidding me?

Durability, Truvative style cups, bearings, EVERYTHING!

This is a follow up to a previous review. I contacted American Classic and as another reviewer he said they were very quick to send me new bearings. I sat on them all winter as I really don't need a super light BB for winter training.

Last week I decided to change the bearings in order to re-install this BB for the race season. After taking the old ones out I decided to pull the dust seals off just to take a look at the insides. To my absolute horror I found the drive side bearing was short two balls compared to the non-drive bearing. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? I found no remains of ground up ball bearings so my only answer is American Classic shipped it to me this way. That is pathetic quality control in my mind.

I installed the new bearings and raced over the weekend. Last night I went for a ride and to my disgust the BB was making such loud cracking noises it ruined my ride. I'm an ex shop mechanic and I know what I'm doing. The BB was installed properly with a torque wrench to the American Classic specs. This product has some serious flaws and I'll be taking it back out to replace it with an FSA BB.

This BB is just like the rest of the American classic stuff in my opinion, very light but not at all durable. This stuff is made for a weight weenie who uses their equipment once or twice a year. What a POS!

Similar Products Used: FSA, Truvative/Bontrager
mtbmike   Recreational Rider [Jul 23, 2005]
Strength:

Light product, and quick warranty response (required to own this)

could afford to lose some lightness for possibly quad bearings or better sealing????

First, I am a good mechanic and a responsible bike owner. A BIG FAT ZERO FOR VALUE! Personally, if I were launching a product I would do some real world testing on it before I started taking money from people. Like the other reviews, the bearings went bad very quickly. When I called the warranty department, they were quick to ask how I ride, etc. (acting like they couldn't believe this was happening) They advised me to avoid riding in the rain! To their credit, they did send me two new sets of bearings in like two days. These bearings lasted about as long as the others. So three sets of bearings in less than a full season, you be the judge. Recall it and fix the problem or give us our money back! You guys are supposed to know a thing or two about bearings and bikes right? I wish the ratings went lower than one.

Similar Products Used: Just about everything else under the sun
ndeibert   Road Racer [Jun 29, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight

durability, Truvative style cups

I've had this bottom bracket for about 6 months. It has about 8000km on it and it's shot. I know I put in a lot of miles but I also regularly service my equipment. The other day I noticed it was creaking during my ride so I when I got home I took it apart. It is loose and has all sorts of play. The strange thing is the bearings seem fine. Yes, it's light but in my opinion not very durable. I'm going to contact American Classic and see if I can have them take a look at it to determine if it can be warrentied. In the meantime I'm going back to the tried and true FSA BB.

Similar Products Used: FSA, Bontrager (Truvative)
Quads on Fire   Road Racer [Dec 21, 2004]
Strength:

Light

Bearings are junk.

This BB came stock on my Fuji Team SL. It has something over 6,000 miles in it, in about 8 months of riding primarily that bike. Not, however, in a whole lot of rain (some, though). I'm 160# so wouldn't expect to tear up BBs too much. The thing got rough after about 1,500 miles of riding, and I had my mechanic take a look and he greased it up again, made sure everything was as it should be, at it worked like butter. For another 4,500 miles. Then it froze up. And then it unfroze with a screech, and got rough and has a "clunk" spot. I'm getting it warrantied, so that my primary bike is ridable, but I'm considering replacing it with something more durable ASAP. I've had bearing problems on the AMClassic 350 wheels I own, too. They are sending me replacements as we speak.

Similar Products Used: Octalink, Square taper taiwan no name stuff, shimano integrated bbs