Praxis Works BB30 Conversion BB Bottom Brackets

BB30 Conversion BB

Available for 68mm or 73mm Shell

Have a Shimano Crank and trying to mount it in a BB30 Frame? No worries. Praxis Works Conversion Kit is just what you're looking for. Designed to fit in a BB30 frame, the conversion kit BB can be installed to allow for a Shimano* Hollowtech crank to be used on your frame. The bearings are high quality bearings and seals are shield type and quad-ring. This aluminum cartridge design keeps the bearings outboard of the frame for greater rigidity and free of frame/cir-clip tolerance issues that other systems deal with. The shell simply mounts inside a BB30 frame and keeps the bearings in perfectly concentric at all times. Since it's a cartridge style, the BB can't wiggle out, fall out, or come out of alignment like other current adaptors in the market.

*Compatible with Shimanoâ„¢Hollotech II cranks.

Matthew   Commuter [Dec 13, 2015]
Strength:

Hugely over-engineered and solid bit of kit. Clear instructions.

VERY tight fit into my Bianchi BB30 shell, hope I haven't damaged the frame.
Pricey, for what is basically two bits of alloy machined to screw into each other.

I bought a new Bianchi Sempre Pro frame in the end of summer sales, before realising that it had the dreaded BB30 press fit bottom bracket. I wasn't going to put myself through the torment of a creaking BB so purchased a Campy-compatible Praxis Works BB30 conversion kit for £59 from GB Cycles. It came with a plastic sleeve for PF30s, which I put aside, and I got my bottom bracket press ready.

The easy part is putting in the left press-fit sleeve. Then you have to screw the right hand (drive) side cup into the left hand sleeve to expand the collet tightly into the BB30 shell. This started fine and easily achieved with two BB tools, until the collet started to expand into the Bianchi's heavy gauge aluminium BB shell. Tightening to the required tolerance - so that the crank halves could be torqued to the required torque without binding on the Praxis cups - required huge amounts of effort, a continuous torque of about 60Nm, according to my torque wrench. Praxis's very good instructions say not to compress the rubber O-ring on the left, but by the time I could fit the crank halves without the crank binding on the Praxis BB cups, the O-ring was fairly compressed.
I suppose the Bianchi BB shell may have been slightly wider than specification, but it was worrying to have to tighten the Praxis Works so hard - so tight in fact, that I had to use the BB press to stop the BB tool coming off the end of the BB.

Once fitted, and 100 miles under the belt, there have been no noises at all, but I was left wondering whether this kit is the final answer. It felt wrong to be expanding alloy into alloy so hard, and I felt that it could easily have distorted the original BB shell if I'd gone further. So, it's a qualified succes: No creaks, but at what cost to the frame?

Similar Products Used: BB386 - no problems, ever
BSA threaded BB - no problems, ever
johnsonian85   Road Racer [Apr 27, 2015]
Strength:

Quality machining, great customer service, easy installation.

I have a couple of these bottom brackets in different bikes and have been impressed with all of them. I do not like press in BB bearings and this is a great alternative and allows you a better selection of cranks. I have had nothing but issues with press in BB's over the last couple years from bearing wear to not being able to install new bearing because the of over sized BB shells (that probably was my fault, but never had issues with thread in BB's). This feels like a much better design for any press fit frame, it relays on more than just a friction fit. I will be using these on all my bikes with press fit BB's from now on.
On my last install of the Campy conversion BB I had a few hick-ups with the install due to frame, crank and BB interfaces, the costumer service at Praxis was above and beyond helpful and I was able to resolve all the issue quickly and get out on the bike! This is a great product and company. Buy with confidence.

Similar Products Used: Wheels Manufacturing pf30 bottom bracket for shimano, Problem Solvers Adapter
Chad Henderson   [Aug 04, 2013]
Strength:

Very easy to install. Smooth ride.

No weaknesses to speak of.

After just a few months on my Cannondale, I got the notorious clicking and creaking associated with BB30. Rather than go through frequent greasing or replacing of bearings to remedy the problem, which often seems short term, I decided to give the Praxis Works BB30 Conversion BB a shot.

Though new to installing components on newer bikes, installation was easy; just followed the instructions to the letter, and everything was done in no time. In addition to getting rid of the BB30 clicking, I also replaced my compact cranks with a preferred Shimano 53/39 combo. Now, the bike rides as smoothly and quietly as ever. Praxis Works got this one right!

John   [Jul 15, 2013]
Strength:

Simple and easy to install

none, it just works as it should

Just took just a few minutes to throw in my Specialized Camber/ Stumpy and Enduro and now I can run my XTR cranks with no troubles or alignment issues. Thankful Praxis doing it right!

ben   [Jul 14, 2013]
Strength:

bearing quality and longevity, added stiffness

you'll need 2 BB tools to install.

I got this BB to replace the strange spacers that came with my bike, i had already gone through 2 sets of BB bearings and wanted something that would last. install was easy, i just had to borrow my brother's BB tool to go with my own as the two sides lock against each other and you'll need 2 tools to install. once in the bike i have not had another thought about my BB, which is as it should be. bearing life is great, it's silent with no creaking, and there's the added benefit of some increased stiffness in the BB area. i would highly recommend this BB!

Stacey Sell   Road Racer [Jul 13, 2013]
Strength:

High quality. Easy install. Worry free performance

When I knew I was getting the D-Vore and found out it had PF30 I contacted Praxis about their adaptor. It wasn't in stock at the time but it came in just when the frame did. SCORE! Install was SUPER easy.
Once in hand, one thing was apparent to me, the quality and thought that went into the design and manufacturing of this adaptor. Something as simple as the a o-ring on the non-drive side that's used for frame tolerance just makes sense. The ability to still run Shimino cranks with its stiffer outboard bearings on a PF30 gives you added advantages over standard PF30 set ups.
After a couple months and a few hundred miles of dirty dusty training and racing, this BB is still super smooth and creak free as the day it went on.
If you have any bike with PF30 and want to use a Shimano (or other 24mm spindle) crank this is THE adaptor to use. You can finally have piece of mind knowing that those annoying noises coming from your bike are FINALLY not from your BB. Mileage junkies rejoice and keep hammering out the worry free miles.

steve marshall   Road Racer [Feb 07, 2012]
Strength:

perfect fit, easy install, great instruction videos.

Wish it was around a year ago :-)

I was lucky enough to receive a preproduction BB from Praxis works, I struggled to find a BB for my PF30 S-works Stumpjumper and run my XTR crankset. After 2 DNFS and 2 broken sets of Specialized adapters I installed the Praxis works BB and have not looked back. Very easy to install, converted my PF30 to work with my shimano cranks perfectly.
After 6 months of winter riding (snow, mud rain, etc) the BB is still running flawlessly.