Shimano Dura-Ace BB-7700 Bottom Brackets

• Ball and Needle Bearings Increase Spindle Rigidity

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 24, 2007]
    nieman46804

Strength:

Smooth if set up correctly. Fairly low friction if correct grease used. Light (50 gram saving over Ultegra).

Lockring does deform and is difficult to use vs. cartridge tools. Very hard to set up correctly and VERY sensitive to grease type. Unknown long term life of light spindle.

Follow up review. I think I have this thing figured out. The keys are (1) as noted previously, setup. Tighten until it drags and then back off 1/4 turn. Use green or blue Loctite when installing the cups, but not on the lockring (grease the threads for the lockring) (2) Grease. I tried Finish Line Teflon grease and it really drags. You have to use a lightweight grease on this critter (Phil Wood, Bullshot, etc.) I'm using Shimano Spin Doctor grease and I really like it, though with any lightweight grease it means teardown, clean and repack at more frequent intervals. If you are looking for every performance edge you can find, it is about $10 more than Ultegra. If you want to ride and forget it, get the Ultegra instead. It will last for years without laying a finger on it if you install correctly (using Loctite and a torque wrench).

Ultegra, XTR, etc.

[Jun 02, 2007]
    Freeagent35

Strength:

Very light. Seems to be exceptionally well engineered.

A roaring pain in the butt to adjust correctly. If you are not a seasoned mechanic who has correct tools for such things, go with the Ultegra. It is a little heavier, but you can pretty much just ride it and forget about it.

There are still some people out there riding 9, and those are often trying to maximize performance so I'll throw in a review. After years with the venerable Ultegra BB I tried one of these. I am not dissatisfied, but it is a different breed of cat. It is not an install, and forget it, replace if it dies or gets gritty part. This unit will need regular service (about every 4 to 6 months) and it is very tough to install just right. That said, when installed correctly it does seem to be very light and very smooth.

Almost every other cartridge BB Shimano makes, plus a lot of other BBs on my other bikes, including BMX.

[Aug 03, 2005]
    zdpn03

Strength:

Light weight. No noticeable flex. Octalink design makes intalling and removing crank arms easier.

Durability. Seals dont keep completely keep water out, but they do hold moisture in. Outer aluminum rings used to hold bottom bracket in tend to get bent out or shape when installing and removing. They also scrape up the outside of the bb on carbon frames. Not easy to adujst your chainline. Requires a lot of maintenance as compared to other bottom brackets.

Generally a solid bottom bracket. However, it requires a lot of maintenance in order to keep it working properly. The biggest problem with this bottom bracket is that the water seals do not do a very good job of keeping water out of the bottom bracket. However, they do a nice job of holding moisture in. As a result, if you get caught out in the rain and water seeps into your bottom bracket, you will have to remove the bottom bracket and let it dry out and then repack the grease. Otherwise, moisture will end up being retained and the bearings and spindle will end up rusting. Just as a note, I have used a World Class bottom bracket for over 20,000 miles and have had absolutely no problems with durability or water seeping in. Installing is a little bit tricky as compared to other bottom brackets with traditional cups. With normal bb cups, it is very easy to adjust your chainline for optimal shifting. However, with the Durace Ace bb, you have to purchase and install shims in order to adjust your chainline. Unfortunately, due to the design of the cups, you are limited by the width of your bottom bracket as to how much you can adjust the postion. You man not be able to get the chain line set up in the optimal postion. And finally, the aluminum lock rings that attach to the bb cups tend to deform and develop sharp edges during installation. You have to be very careful in order to prevent damage to these rings. Also, since these rings sit flush against the frame, and have sharp edges, they will scratch up carbon frames. Granted it is in a spot where it is not noticeable, however I still don't like using part that cause any damage to my frame when installing.

Ultegra Octalink. World Class Ti square taper.

[May 29, 2004]
    drewski_1

Strength:

Light-weight Stiff Rebuidable (not that it's really needed that yet)

Tricky to install? Just read the tips on the Park Tools website (and send your mechanics there too!) Small bearing due to hollow spindle may increase bearing friction compared to tapered designs (i.e. Campy)

I can't believe some of these reviews. "The plastic wore away the Aluminum"?? Maybe overtightened the aluminum cups into the plastic sleeve? I've done my own bike work for almost 20 years and remember the days before cassette bottom brackets. It seems like many here do not. This design with the lock-ring was what all BB's were like years ago. Sure it's trickier than the Ultegra, but if adjusted properly, won't need constant attention like many seem to think. Some anti-seize, lock-tite and careful adjustment of bearing pre-load and you're good to go. Several thousand miles later, no creaks, no grinding. After one year, took it apart to regrease and concluded it could have gone even longer.

Ultegra splined, Deore, DA square taper (loose ball bearings), Phil Wood cassette

[Sep 01, 2003]
    The Mouse

Strength:

Very smooth, stiff, and reliable, not to mention very inexpensive. At 40 bucks it's about half the price of top of the line ISIS drive BB's. All of you guys that say it fails is because you all weigh 200 lbs! Cripes man, lose some weight. Of course they failed on you, Dura Ace is designed for pros and I dont know of any that weigh over 165. Idiot.

None, unless your body is a bloated over weight carcas, Dumbass.

Have it mated to FSA Carbon Superlight crankset. Awsome stiffness, buttery smooth. Have 4,000 miles on it from this summer and works PERFECT!

Ultegra

[Aug 06, 2003]
    TryJokerBrand

Strength:

Stiff and smooth in the beginning. Let there be light.

Beginning to fail after 3 months.

WTF?!#$%#**? Read carefully. Had the frame faced and threads chased. Greased with high quality stuff b4 install. Had the LBS install so I wouldn't have to worry. Here we are 3 months later and there is an audible clicking/grinding. The frame is so stiff that it acts like a resonator and I am able to not only feel the problem but hear it too. The dude at the shop painstakingly adjust it to perfection on install and I was wondering what was taking him so long. This dude is a great wrench with mucho experience. My riding style is varied and I love a good sprint and hills. Weighing in at 170 lbs I didn't expect this thing to fail so soon. If you haven't built your bike yet, then get Chorus or Centaur group. I only wish I would have. Campy for 2004 will be much more expensive so get your stuff now. I have seen the distributors price increase to the LBS. :( Shimano fishing reels perform better than their DA BB. What a shame. Too bad I can't find a way to catch catfish with my bottom bracket. Then again, I don't want to let the "big one" get away. Hey Shimano, "Booooooo!"

Old school Sqr taper BBs that still are bullet proof.

[Aug 04, 2003]
    Rock Bottom

Strength:

It's light.

Bad seals and needle and roller bearings that are a bit too small to get the job done well.

I usually check this site for reviews on parts before I purchase them. I did not, however, do this before I bought this bottom bracket. It's Dura Ace - what else do I need to know, right? I and two of my friends have had these bb's fail within the last two weeks. I agree that you need to set them up correctly and they have to be frequently readjusted (the root of many people's problems on here) but for the three of us, the main problem was in the seals. After one wet ride I had most all of the grease come oozing out of the seals. When I took it apart it was a mess. It was very wet and the bearings were running on a mix of light grease (what remained after being washed out) and water. I'll be putting an Ultegra in very soon. The 50 grams of weight shaving isn't as important to me as is a well lubed, well adjusted bottom bracket.

All of them by now, I'm sure.

[Jul 24, 2003]
    Justine

Strength:

Light weight. Smooth operation--for the 2.8 seconds (on average) it stays adjusted and clean after it's overhauled. And, for all this bottom bracket's problems, I've paid more and gotten worse.

Let's see: Short Lifespan. Sealing not as good as Ultegra or 105 BB. Finicky adjustment.

One of the great ironies of the cycling world is that one of the planet's finest components is joined at the fixing bolt to the "weak link" of the Dura-Ace gruppo. (The Dura-Ace pipe-billet crankdet and bottom bracket respectively.) One of the great ironies of my own cycling experience (25+ years) is that I "upgraded" an 853/Ouzo Pro/Ksyrium/King/everything-else-Dura-Ace bike with an Ultegra headset.

Previous Dura-Ace and other BB's, various Campy, Sugino and Stronglight. Various titanium-spindled BBs: Great if you're a size 4. (I'm talking about dresses, not Wuropean pro jerseys!)

[Jun 26, 2003]
    spinordie

Strength:

Smooth, frictionless

Buttery smooth and noiseless (so far). If it stays the way it has performed so far I will continue to be a very happy camper, but if previously mentioned concerns appear I will write a follow up review.

RX100 and ultegra BB

[May 28, 2003]
    R P

Strength:

it's light

It let me down, I was shocked to see this kind of wear on DuraAce, suppose to be the creme de la creme. Lightness just isn't worth it when it comes down to your most critical bearing surfaces. Unless your sponsors are giving you this stuff and your mechanic tunes your bike

Sounds like the reviews on this indicated the units are either great! or garbage. 3,000 miles on this, and there's aswishing noise almost like a chain rubbing on the front mech, but it's on the downstroke on both pedals, and I can see daylight between the chain and the sides of the derailleur. Took it to LBS. It's totally chewed. I have no idea why unless some great got the the seal. They didn't have too many good thigs to say and recommended I go with Ultegra

Campy Chorus (still good after 20,000+ miles bullet-proof), Shimano Ultegra (no nonsense quality)