Shimano Ultegra BB-6500 Bottom Brackets

• Sealed Cartridge Assembly
  • Double and Triple Options

• User Reviews (27)

Denis Rouette   [Sep 03, 2014]
    Strength:

Probably last a lifetime on my tandem

Still drag a lot although put both bbs though many hours of drill rotation.

Please help me. Should I buy new ones, doen't matter if I have to buy Dura Ace type. Price is no problem. Thank you !!!
    Or is there an equivalent but without any drag.

vern zander   Recreational Rider [May 03, 2012]
    Strength:

Smooth and free, no perceptible drag. Long life.

Over a 10 year span I have put 54,000 miles on this bottom bracket and am starting to get a clicking concurrent with each pedal stroke, so it looks like it is time to replace the BB. I weigh 160 lbs and am 73 years old, so perhaps I have not put serious stress on the BB. I do pedal up 15% grades several times a year, though.

Similar Products Used: In my garage also are Litespeed Solarno, Mercier. None of these bottom brackets spin as freely as my Shimano 6500. (I do not know the brands of the bottom brackets for these bikes.)
    Oj   Road Racer [Sep 21, 2008]
    Strength:

Strong

huge rolling resistance

Shimano bottom brackets are terrible! The ultegra SL bottom bracket and durace BB are the same BB. Pull the bearings out and compare the rolling resistance to a ceramic BB.

Similar Products Used: Enduro ceramic BB
    carbon13   Road Racer [Dec 26, 2007]
    Strength:

Not one problem what so ever.
    Did its job even when l weighed 260 lbs.

Compared to newer ultegra external bearing bottom bracket it felt neither as stiff or smooth.
    Apparently some people have a bad track record with these but after my experience
    l dint see why.

l have used this bottom bracket with italian thread for about nine years.
    How good was it? Never really notices it there during the hole time.
    The bike was ridden down many dirt roads but not though much rain and it didnt need to be replaced during that hole period and is now in storage should l build another italian bottom bracket bike.

Similar Products Used: old square axel campag
    shimano 600
    new external bearing ultegra
    Veronikafan   Recreational Rider [Mar 17, 2007]
    Strength:

Mainenence free. Inexpensive. Good alternative to Dura Ace model.

Not as durable as some may say.

I bought this bottom bracket for use with my otherwise all Dura Ace 9 speed group. I was warned away from the Dura Ace Octalink bottom bracket by reports of poor durability in wet conditions. The Ultegra BB lasted about 5,000 miles before seizing up. I replaced it with same and so far so good after another 5,000 miles. Time will tell if these are really as bulletproof as some say. I bought spares just in case. They were cheap enough.

Similar Products Used: Old-style Dura Ace 7400 ball-bearing bottom brackets.
    ElSupreme   Road Racer [Feb 10, 2006]
    Strength:

Never dies.

Only shimano cranks work. The ritchey crap cranks wont stay on for their life.

Took years and thousands of miles of SERIOUS ABUSE. And is still perfect.

Similar Products Used: ISIS by truvative, FSA Ulterga in other bikes. CRAPPY ST truvative.
    cthomas   Recreational Rider [Dec 18, 2005]
    Strength:

Solid. Dependable. Durable. Quality.

None.

I was an early adopter of Octalink, and after riding several versions this is the best BB made. I eventually upgraded both of my bikes to FSA compact cranksets, and after finding out that ISIS was crap (not their fault, Shimano played their monopoly card here...shame on Shimano) shopped around to get both in Octalink. Even though both bikes are now Campy, I have kept the Ultegra bottom bracket (gasp) and cranks because they are so solid and reliable. Sure, someday I will likely upgrade to the new outboard bearing bottom bracket, but in the meantime this is the top of the line in my opinion. Don't waste your money on a D/A BB, because it is crap compared to this design. Put it on and ride it till it wears out. What more can you ask for?

Similar Products Used: Campy square taper, 105, Dura Ace.
    toddj39   Triathlete [Oct 09, 2005]
    Strength:

Strong, no maintenance required, easy to install and should last forever.

The BB case will get some surface corrosion (rust). If you ride in the rain a lot or leave your bike outside. But, if you treat the case w/ silicone or a CPC spray before installation you should be good to go.

This Shimano product is Bomb Proof. I've used and installed many BB's over the years. But, the Ultegra 6500 BB is so easy to install and never needs to be looked at again. Unless, you ride in the rain a lot. Then the case will rust, so you need to cover the case with silicone or a Corrosion Preventative Compound before installation. But, other than that you can't beat its bang for the buck. For around $30 and only a few grams more than Dura Ace minus the DA maint. every 3K and setting a bearing preload. I feel if you have a Shimano DA 9 speed drive train going to the Ultegra BB is an upgrade. The Ultegra BB is a true "Sealed Cartridge Unit" unlike the Dura Ace. I just pulled one today (hence this review), because it had 4 years, 15,000 miles and countless trainer hours on it. Believe it or not the bearings are still very smooth and this BB could've lasted longer. But, Supergo.com is selling them for $30 this week so what the heck.

Similar Products Used: All Shimano BB's Road and MTB(Not the new 10 speed yet..)Race Face and ISIS.
    1packaja   Road Racer [Feb 29, 2004]
    Strength:

No Problems at all. No grinding at all.

N/A

I ride all year round, through snow, rain, heat, etc. I have hammered this bottom bracket and it continues to work great. I have put over 15,000 miles on this bad boy.