Shimano Dura-Ace 8/9 speed SG Big Chainrings

Dura-Ace 8/9 speed SG Big

54T or 55T

Andrew Marchant-Shapiro   Commuter [Apr 07, 2000]
Strength:

It's much prettier than the equivalent Ultegra model. Reputed to be somewhat stronger (more durable).

None that I can see.

I picked this ring up for $15, and I think it was well-spent. It's strong, it's light, it's pretty, and it's very round. It is also rather expensive if you have to pay full retail, but if you don't have to, it's well worth the price.

Similar Products Used: Gipiemme, Shimano 105.
OVERALL
Juny Binamira   Road Racer [Jan 15, 2001]
Strength:

Very true, quick-shifting from the small ring, really cool-looking (to me) coating.

That cool-looking coating? Well, it doesn't take very long before the rings start oxidizing and the stuff starts flaking off... it then looks just awful!

I've always loved the color (pewter?) of DA chainrings, so even though my old ones were chipped and oxidizing away, I ordered a new set to mount on my new Profile carbon cranks - thinking that, hey, the new set should look good for a while anyway, until the onset of the dreaded chipping, flaking away of the cool coating. Wrong! Here I am less than three months and 2,000 km later, and the stuff is again beginning to flake off. The rings are very true, and I can't complain about shifting action, but the long-term aesthetics just don't cut it. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for these, but next time, I'm not buying Shimano - maybe I'll try TA.