Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7700 Chains

Dura-Ace CN-7700

The new 10-speed Dura-Ace chain is lighter by an astonishing 24g, yet maintains the same durability as the 9-speed predecessor. The chain also adds a new fluid-smooth feel to the performance of the overall system.

osfan456   Road Racer [Aug 08, 2005]
Strength:

The DA chain is of course, quite light. It also shifts beautifully with my 105 drivetrain. When it's all clean, it's pretty and shiny.

Well, it doesn't work. I'm a bit of a clydesdale, and the chain really complained on any climbs, and on what turned out to be the last climb of the day, the chain just broke. It looks like I lost a side plate. After numerous failures/repairs, I had to ditch it. I might make a chain whip out of it. It'll be the prettiest chain whip on the block!

I was very disappointed by the quality of this chain. It hasn't lasted me even one ride, and after numerous repairs, it still doesn't want to work.

Similar Products Used: The 105 chain that came with the bike gave me no problems.
dean   Recreational Rider [Apr 14, 2004]
Strength:

Durability.....ha,ha,ha That is a joke

Craftsmanship

This chain sucks *ss. I used chain 4 times. Once on my trainer and it broke one side of a link off so I fixed it. The next 2 rides were fine. Then a pin fell out and took my derailer with it and bent my hanger and stripped the hole. The hanger is alum. and LBS said that if they bend it back it will fatigue and break. So now my frame is toast. Thanks Shimano for make a complete piece of crap and killing my frame.

indianabob   Recreational Rider [Nov 06, 2002]
Strength:

Perfect shifting, looks good, very quiet and smooth feel. ,

I've run through four of these, and once, had a link start to come undone. I soft pedaled back to my car and it held together. I did have about 2,500 miles on this chain that went bad. Since, I change the thing out at about 2,000 miles, and it's been fabulous.

I keep my D/A derailleurs well adjusted, and the thing shifts like a dream. I dunno, but I think that some of the complaints others might have are from not keeping the chain clean and lubed, and their drivetrain well tuned. I've wanted to try the Wipperman, but can't bring myself to pop 35 bucks (on sale) on one.

Similar Products Used: SRAM 89. SRAM 89 looks cool with the little cutouts, but after about 1,000 miles, the thing was noisy as hell (squeaky), and never did shift as well as the D/Ace. I had let the LBS guy tell me that D/
lt   Recreational Rider [Sep 04, 2002]
Strength:

It comes with a Dura ace Build kit

Replacment pins. Noisy.

Chain came with Dura-Ace Group. I bought a new frame this year and transfered the group to a new bike with a new Dura Ace Cassette and SRAM PC-99 chain. I never realized how poorly the Dura Ace Chain shifted. It is also very noisy. I had to put up with Shimano replacement pins when a SRAM powerlink works simply and does not require special tools. I can only thank the guys at my LBS for recommending the SRAM.

Similar Products Used: SRAM PC-99
Marino   Road Racer [May 21, 2002]
Strength:

Nice when new

Not so nice when worn. Incompatible with worn cassettes.

Although designed to work well with the entire DA gruppo, this chain is lacking in overall performance. This chain only likes perfectly new cassettes and is unforgiving if either is worn. As with the rest of the DA gruppo, this chain should be considered a high performance, high maintenance.

Similar Products Used: SRAM 99. Easier to clean. Perfect replacement for DA, shifts better under all conditions, regardless of cassette wear.
Barry   Recreational Rider [May 12, 2002]
Strength:

Quiet (extremely important)!

Break off pin. Must clean on bike.

I have used a Dura Ace chain for the past 3 or 4 years. I can put about 2,500-3,000 miles on this chain before it has stretched 1/32'''' the point at which I replace it. (I weigh 175). I''ve never had a problem.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra (good chain), SRAM PC-89R (squeaky, be sure to read my review of that one).
hillerj   Road Racer [Feb 14, 2002]
Strength:

light, but so are plenty of others

see above

do NOT get this chain! after about 1,000 miles, a pin came loose and got caught in my derailluer, bending my derailluer hanger and trashing my d/a derailluer.