Bontrager Race Lite GXP Cranksets

• Coined and machined 7075 aluminum chainrings
  • Strong, flex-free arms are cold forged from 7050 aluminum

[Mar 23, 2010]
Rapolsive

Strength:

Strong, feels smooth through full rotation, quiet

Chrome paint falls off after awhile

This came with my 2005 Lemond Buenos Aires. I don't have much to compare it to except a couple of cheap old crank sets on older bikes. It feels really strong and it gets the job done with out any problems. The only issue is that the chrome paint is starting to flake off from being old. It's kind of ratty looking but still functions great. I would only replace it because of this.

[Oct 23, 2008]
stbrendan619

Strength:

Better gears with compact double, less shifting.

triple cranks would come loose every 5 miles. Double crank set doesnt work with triple der.

My Lemond Sarthe came with the Bontrager race lite triple that didnt last very long. The left crank arm would not stay tight at all. LBS tried everything, but they finnaly gave up and tried to order a new one. The triple was on back order so a got the race lite compact double instead. but I had to switch out my shifter and they "adjusted" my der. to work with the double. It didn't work out too well. Get a double der. if you switch for triple to double. I like the compact double a lot better though.

[Jul 10, 2008]
mtbiker278

Strength:

Solid, stiff, cheap (came with bike)

Heavy, can be fickle, requires tightening over time(not really a weakness since most cranks require this)

Overall this is a decent crankset. It came with my Trek 2100, and is a standard geared double. It's definitely on the heavy side, but it's built solid. Very stiff when everything is tightened up. I didn't notice any flexing while out of the saddle. Shifts are good when you have the front derailer set-up correctly. Use the adjustment pins to dial in, otherwise you'll drop your chain off either ring. Also, you'll need to tighten up the crank bolt a couple of times as it comes loose after a while (Basic bike up-keep). It doesn't look flashy like a carbon crank. Just your typical gloss silver (who cares anyway).

Shimano LX, Raceface Evolve (Mt. cranks)

[Oct 18, 2007]
drawkcab

Strength:

Came stock on my 2006 Lemond.

The ramps on the large chain ring are terrible leading to poor shifting. Thankfully, the GXP bottom bracket couldn't be tightened leading to a warranty of the entire assembly. This crank and bottom bracket lasted me less than a year. Did I mention how ugly it was?

This is a rebadged Truvativ GXP. Please stay away from this product.

Prior to this I had been riding an ultegra 6500 double with an octalink bottom bracket. The ultegra bottom bracket lasted 10 times longer than the Bontrager and the crankset is still working as well as ever on my commuter.

[Jan 11, 2007]
Bryan

Strength:

Crisp shifing. Good looking until decay sets in.

Cheap.

Crankset was included with my new LeMond Versailles. While functionally fine w/ crisp shifting, the finish is pathetic. Within 3 months, the cheap "clearcoat" (read: metallic paint) covering the crankarm was peeling off. Granted, I live in FL, with salt and other factors, but I'm almost anal with bike care, and no Campy or Shimano 'arms I've had on other bikes have EVER had this problem. A cheaply made crankarm, that has slightly tarnished my view of what has been a very enjoyable bike, the LeMond Versailles.

Campy Veloce & Chorus gruppos. Shimano Ultegra gruppo.

[Oct 22, 2006]
dtarrant

Strength:

NO problems.

I've had this on my Trek 5000 TCT Carbon Bike. I've had no problems. I have little to compare it to, but I can say that I have ridden it extremely hard (about 200 miles a week) and have had zero problems.