Bontrager Race X Lite GXP Cranksets

• 7075-T6 aluminum chainrings
  • Tru-Vativ Giga X-Pipe bottom bracket

[Mar 25, 2010]
tuffguy1500

Strength:

Easy turnover, no noticeable bearing drag. Smooth shifting, even on my converted triple derailleur. Super stiff during climbing, and they just felt good overall.

One unexpected weakness was noticing more vibration feedback from super choppy sections of road. It only occurred when the road was really choppy with pothole repairs, chip-seal cracks, etc.

I was due for new chainrings and opted to buy the RXL GXP 53/39 crankset instead. I installed it to my 05 Trek 1500 and replaced a Bontrager Race Select triple. The unit was a take off from a factory build hence the great deal. So far, I am completely impressed by these things. They make my feet feel like they are attached to my rear wheel in such a way that I no longer feel like I am putting any effort into pedaling. Used them on a really steep climb, long flats, and bumpy city terrain and I felt like I could keep going ang going with them.

Bontragr Race Select aluminum triple

[Jan 01, 2010]
jaybhiggs

Strength:

Smooth Shifting. Nice Ride.

Stiff bearings at proper crank nut torque if not carefully installed.

My Bontrager Race X Lite crankset came installed in a new Madone. Hence, my experience applies only to this crankset in the Madone, which has a unique integrated bottom bracket. As one other reviewer mentioned, the bearings seemed stiff, and I had heard that this was normal. However, after several hundred miles, the crank still seemed stiff, and the left crank developed a “click” with each pedal rotation. After much trial, error and internet research, I discovered that the left (non-drive side) bearing was installed backwards. The proper orientation of the left bearing is not intuitive. I discovered this when I found a video for proper installation at http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id204.html I purchased Enduro ceramic bearings, and had them installed by an excellent mechanic at my LBS, who was kind enough to let me observe the process and learn. In order to get stability without stiffness at the proper torque on the crank nut, he tried multiple combinations of washers and seals. The final result was excellent, and I think it would probably be good even without the ceramic bearings. My intention was to replace all this with a Dura-Ace crank, but after 300 miles on this crank I find my current set-up so smooth that I am going to use it until it wears out.

Shimano Dura Ace

[Apr 10, 2007]
Corey

Strength:

nice understated look, laterally stiff. Reliable GXP interface. Rings shift well.

not light (heavier than the Aluminum Race Lite version in fact). Lots of drag when new. Not the most upscale marque (for those who care).

My bike came with FSA SLK cranks, so I threw on these, because of the known problems of the MegaExos. Easy to install, and does everything as it should. More bearing drag than I'd like, but that should break in. The rings shift surprisingly well on my Shimano 10 drivetrain. Notably stiffer than the 3 piece cranks I had been using up to now. These will stay on until I get Dura Ace or the Fulcrum crankset comes out.

Dura Ace 7700, Shimano 600 6400, LX Hollowtech II.