FSA K-Force Light Compact MegaExo Cranksets

K-Force Light Compact MegaExo

• Monocoque crank arm/spider construction
  • AL7075 Tork T-30 alloy chainring bolts
  • MegaExo ovesize ceramic ball bearings
  • MegaExo alloy bearing cups
  • Q-Factor: 144.5mm

lebikerboy   Recreational Rider [Oct 14, 2017]
Strength:

Strong, light shifts very well

Only perceived weakness is the FSA bottom bracket. As I bought these used, I chose a
wheel manufacturing BB which works great.

These a a great set of cranks and lighter than anything made by Shimano
at the time...

bddbb   Road Racer [Feb 08, 2012]
Strength:

Looks, weight, ceramic bearings

Soft metal on the crank spindle, otherwise they would be great.

I just removed my second set of K-Force Light cranks because of play in the bottom bracket. When I first installed the cranks I followed the directions correctly and everything seemed fine. Then, during a regular maintenance check, I noticed that there was a slight amount of side to side play in the cranks. I checked the crank bolt for tightness, but it was at the correct torque. So then I started really keeping an eye on it and after one year the side to side play was so bad (even though the crank bolt was tight) that I removed the cranks and checked the bottom bracket cups. They were tight, so I started looking further into it. I noticed that while I had the cranks and bottom bracket off of the bike that the bearings were loose on the crank spindle. I noticed some wear on the spindle where the bearings ride. I contacted FSA about this and they said they had never heard of this before, but they sent me a new set of cranks. The new cranks went on fine, but developed the same problem after a month or two. I have since removed the cranks and BB and replaced with Shimano Dura Ace.
I would not recommend getting these cranks.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Johnstone3   Road Racer [Oct 06, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth ceramic bearings, smooth shifting and stiff rings. A lightweight setup: 700 grams for crankset and bearings put together. Looks good with my Look bike.

None that I can find.

I have the carbon compact crankset exactly as pictured above, with 34-50 chainrings. I believe this is the third generation of this crankset. Neither myself nor anyone I know has had any problems with this crankset. The ceramic bearings are smooth as silk; the 7075 CNC chainrings are plenty stiff and the pedals attach securely. I replaced a DA 7800 double crankset with this FSA carbon compact crankset. The compact 34-50 rings are great for all day rides in the mountains and there is still plenty of gear for racing. My FSA 50-11 high gear is actually a higher, stiffer gear than the 53-12 gear I used when I first started racing.

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace 7800 crankset.