FSA SL-K Carbon Compact Cranksets

• FSA Mega Exo bottom bracket
  • Super-tough CroMoly steel

[Aug 08, 2009]
scovol

Strength:

Weight, quality, shifting, etc.

I installed this crankset and bottom bracket in my bike. I've had zero problems with it since Day 1 and have ridden it about 4000 miles. I change out my Dura Ace chain before it reaches max. slack (1/16" I believe). I also change out my Dura Ace cables routinely. I say this because I suspect some of the other reviewers may be blaming the crankset for related problems. I also wonder if they know how to do the mechanicals properly (or follow the instructions). They could be running the wrong chain, have a bent derailleur, the list goes on and on.

Shimano

[Jul 16, 2008]
Steven Woods

Strength:

Stiff and Good Power Transfer.
I always have enough left in my legs for a run even after hammering on the pedals

Not quite as rockin as Dura-Ace but really close

It's a very good product, but i would choose a Dura-Ace crankset instead...

Dura-Ace
Ultergra

[Jun 03, 2008]
Echo_Delta

Strength:

Great shifting, Sexy looking.

A little heavy.

This was an Upgrade to my Giant TCR-C2.
I have had no shifting problems. In fact I can hardley emagine anything shifting better! No parts getting loose ever. May be my LBS is better on the insatll than most. I do plan to get a K-FORCE LIGHT CRANKSET mainly for the weight and ceramic bottom bracket.

Tra vetta on my tandem, FSA Afterburner on my mountain bike.

[Apr 19, 2008]
John James

Strength:

Look great, stiff, nice bottom bracket, simple to install (follow the directions regarding the loctite).

none that I have noticed

I have about 1000 miles on these cranks and they are still tight and work awesome. The 50x34 with my 12x27 gearing works great even for the hilly Puget Sound region.

Shimano Ultegra

[Nov 08, 2007]
crashtestdummy

Strength:

Good shifting, good gearing, 50 36

Probably not the best design, shimano's makes more sense.

Installed a few weeks ago, have used on trainer and on several rides. I purchased a new steel crank arm bolt and ground the lip off of the outer nut that sits in the crank arm so it would lock against the crank arm bolt when tightened. No issues with coming loose yet.

Older shimano cranks

[Jul 06, 2007]
cbetony

Strength:

Shift good and look good when they are tight.

Terrible engineering. Bad shifting can lead to crashing, or Fder and frame damage. Buy something else!

I work in a shop and thought the slk's were cool when they came out. I bought my bike thinking they were a bonus to have on it. Soon after my purchase the left arm came loose, I tightened it. It came loose again, I tightened it. It came loose again only this time so did the BB cup. I tightened it, and noticed a cheesy rubber coated metal shim between the cup and frame that got all squished. I removed it and then the spindle was too long to tighten the BB cups. Also the lock ring for the crank arm bolt bottoms out in the crak arm threads before it can be tightened against the bolt, resulting in the crank arm bolt comming loose, leading the spline damage on the crank arm and the BB loosening. Now I will have to result to some serious "rigging" to get it to work right. I will try some metal BB spacers and assorrted washers to see if that works. A nice set of cranks, but they blew it on the details to secure them.

Shimano, Campy, Raceface, TruVativ

[Jun 28, 2007]
FirsTracks

Strength:

Shifts well, good gearing, easily installed, looks good on a carbon bike.

A bit heavy, 50x12 gearing too low for speeds over 40 mph

My bike was originally set up with an FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue crank with 42x53 rings. This was a great crank, very stiff and reliable, but the flatland gearing just wasn't sufficient for Alaska which is anything but flat. I swapped it out for an FSA SL-K compact with the 34x50 rings matched with a 12x27 cassette, and this gives good gearing for everything from long grinding passes to moderately fast downhills. The Mega-Exo bb was easy to install, and I had no trouble running the axle through the bb bearings & seals. The crankset has remained tight, smooth, and silent despite being pushed hard by a big, strong rider in some gnarly, wet, & gritty conditions for several thousand miles now. It shifts great with a standard Ultegra front derailler and a SRAM PC-99 hollow-pin 9-spd chain, about the same as the Carbon Pro. It shifts much better and weighs less than a triple crank to cover the same gear ratios.

FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue, Ultegra, 105 doubles & triples

[Mar 13, 2007]
Neil Judge

Strength:

Looks, strength...

tight bearings
weightier than expected

The crank has worked perfectly for 3,000+miles of hard riding & is stiffer & better looking than the stock DA it replaced. Main concern is the bottom bracket bearing which has no adjustability and seems a little tighter than it should be. I've had no other problems apart from the need to retorque once after initial assembly, I can only believe that all the stories of loosening crank arms are realted to incorrect installation or maybe I am just lucky.

Dura Ace, Record

[Feb 27, 2007]
The orca

Strength:

Its look.

poor shifting

It looks great. But shifting is just poor esp. from small to big chainring.

Shimano ultegra (very reliable), Dura-ace 7800 (awesome stiffness of the cranks with wimpy big chainring)

[Oct 28, 2006]
Michael Woodard

Strength:

Looks hot.

Really not.

I have had 3 FSA Carbon Cranksets and have had trouble with each one.

Reminds me of a beautiful girl who, though beautiful, has nothing under the hood or between her ears, ultimately lacking in the areas of performance and dependability.

Crank #1: (on Orbea Onix)hung up when shifting down to small ring from big ring in front. Called FSA, they ask me to read some numbers off the outer ring, then told me I had one of the rings that had been improperly machined, and promptly sent me a new one. Customer service at FSA was good this time. Replaced the ring ring with the new one, all good.

Crank #2: (on Orbea Opal and Cervelo R3) Problems aplenty. Couldn't keep the crankarm bolt tight and non-creaky, even with blue locktite. Bearing seals 'leaky', crank loosened during several rides, noisy drivetrain.

Fed up, I called FSA and they said they hadn't had any other problems. The guy was a smart-a@$. He said send it back and they would take alook at it. They ended up sending new crank (drive and non-drive sides)and new bearing seals.

While waiting for the FSA I have purchased a Shimano compact road crank and have not had a problem. The drivetrain is much quieter.

I called around to other manufacturers (C'dale, Bontrager and Kuota) and they each had heard of problems with FSA cranks. The C'dale tech guy was especially helpful, he said he just received a bag of FSA crankarms bolts, and would be happy to send me a couple even though I hadn't bought the crank from them. FSA, if there was no problem, why send out a bag of crankarm bolts to C'Dale? Kuota had also had problems. Sounds like most everyone has had some problem.

Do yourself a favor and get your dealer to swap out this eye-candy for something you can ride.

Shimano...it simply works better.