FSA SLK MegaExo Cranksets

• MegaExo alloy bearing cups
  • AL7075 Torx T-30 alloy chainring bolts
  • Precision CNC machined 7075/T6 chainrings

piaseq   Road Racer [Apr 12, 2010]
Strength:

Light, stiff, good looks, superb chainrings - they last a lifetime!

Left arm was coming loose after like 50hrs of riding. It turned out to be manufacturing problem. FSA gave me finest quality service and replaced the whole set. I was shipped a brand new, boxed SLK cranks, installed them and they have all the previous had, plus left arm never came loose.

Mixed feelings but with great final. Came stock with the bike. A great product. Since replacement no problems whatsoever.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, DuraAce, Chorus
fsa blues   Road Racer [Jan 24, 2009]
Strength:

uh?

See above. Who wants to change BB every month? Customer service has been challenging to work with.

Absolute worst crankset/BB I have used in 25+ years of racing & training. The BB come brand new with an ugly grinding sound - produced while spinning the crank without any load. Sure enough, the bearings seized within 1,500 miles. Thus, 2 BB sets within 3 months. This occurred in dry California conditions.
Front shifting lacked the crispness that comes with a Shimano or Campy crank.
What's worse, the design of the securing mechanism leads to failure. Non-drive crank loosens, and finally, when reinstalling crank for 3rd BB, non-drive crank stripped while applying spec load (measured w/Park torque wrench). Now sawing crank off to replace w/Dura Ace. Bottom line- AVOID!

Similar Products Used: Campy, Shimano
depp   Recreational Rider [Dec 27, 2008]
Strength:

Modern tight carbon weave with a great power transfer.

Slightly heavier than Team Issue with ISIS Ti BB.

This is a strong percise engineered stiff carbon crank. The item is straight and shifts quite well, with a nice modern strong carbon weave. The bearings are smooth the power transfer is great with a bit of a spring. This really is a great crank.

Similar Products Used: FSA K force, total junk.
69chevelle70   Recreational Rider [Nov 02, 2008]
Strength:

??? gee, it looked kinda nice..

Stripped out..Junk.

This crankset came on my last Cannondale and lasted 62 miles before completely stripping out..Nothing more needs said.

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace, Record
Sheik Yerbooti   Recreational Rider [Oct 01, 2008]
Strength:

-price, price, price!
-performance-to-price ratio
-looks cool (matches this particular bike well)

-a tad heavier than many others out there but for this price...
-FSA bolts are really soft; easy to strip the threading
-Noticably noisier than the big brands
-Make sure to use proper torque wrenches and follow always FSA's recm'd specs (any FSA bolts are really easy to snap/strip)

I don't know what everyone is complaining about, but maybe I'm just lucky, like with every other badly-rated components I've bought. I would attribute it to the installation process, even if it was done "professionally." I've purchased a lot of FSA products - cranks/BB's/seatposts/Plasma handlebars (I actually live in the city of their world headquarters - Taipei!) and every single one has had its bolts stripped from just ever-so slightly over-tightening. All for the sake of saving a few grams of weight!?!?! Good thing that my trusty LBS never really tightens anything. Never came across this problem with any other brand where durability overweighs the sacrifices in weight. Weight-weenies don't actually ride/race their bikes I'm sure-wouldn't risk things snapping I'm sure!

In all fairness, I've used this crank - my 3rd SL-K (but first Mega-EXO) over two years and several thousand kms without any problems at all. I've bought 3 different FSA carbon cranks already and they're all fine. The crankarms themselves are fine, just not their FSA (ISIS) BB's. I chose this crank to replace another problematic SL-K (non-Mega-EXO) with a FSA Ti ISIS BB that was on this bike initially. I had replaced that pricy P.O.S. BB 3 times in 2 years! They kept developing a really annoying and noisy creaking/clicking sound after only ~1000 km. It was the same on 3 different bikes. Couldn't nail the problem for the longest time like exactly which part/bolt/washer/bearing was causing it. After that, I had enough and swapped to the then-new Mega-EXO and voila! Never any annoying sounds again. The crankarms themselves though are strong enough for me, but I'm only about Lance's weight - and I do thrash them and they've held up well.

Mine actually came with the better (?) K-Force chainrings but hands-down, the teeth-profiling is still not incomparable even to the mid to low-end from Shimano/Campy in terms of smoothness/shifting. They're definitely noisy in comparison. The BB is certainly not nearly as smooth as the the better brands, but like everything else, you get what you pay for!

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Campagnolo
FSA SL-K (not Mega-EXO)
FSA Pro Team Issue (Ti ISIS BB)
Lee   Recreational Rider [Sep 20, 2008]
Strength:

Light, attractive, smooth shifting, stiff.

Bad reputation but I have had no problems.

I wanted to do a quick review due to the number of really low scores this product received. This crank came on a demo bike I purchased from CC. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe I have correctly used a torque wrench and have not abused it, but I have had none of the problems others have had. I initially pulled it off and shelved it due to the bad press, but with a two year warranty figured I'd better ride it and have it fail if it was going to. Shifting is very good, it looks very attractive on my black carbon Look frame. Stiffness is also good. The mega Exo BB was a little stiff in the beginning but has loosened up nicely. (I used Shimano Spin Doctor grease on it for break in, which is lightweight, and then switched to Pedros Teflon grease for a clean an re-tighten recently).

Hopefully it will continue to hold up this well or will die before two years so I can warranty it. It is a very good deal for a carbon crank and can be found for about $175 (with coupon discounts) at places like Sierra Trading Post.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra 9, Ultegra 10 (compact).
Fatboy1963   Recreational Rider [Jul 11, 2008]
Strength:

Does what it's meant to do with no fuss or bother.

Quality control appears to be a crapshoot (which is probably how they keep the price down). If I was spending money just for a crank, I'm not sure I'd take the risk.

Came standard with my otherwise Ultegra equipped Cervelo R3. Given the terrible reviews here I almost junked it without giving it a chance, which would have been a mistake. I am a BIG rider (250lbs when I started, 220lbs now) and have been pumping a lot of power through this crank for over 5,000 miles with no problems. The left crankarm started to creak after 4,000 miles but a quick bit of tightening fixed that, no problem.

I suspect the problem with this crank is not the design but the quality control during manufacture. If you get a good one, it's great, if not, well, see the other reviews...

lewdvig   Road Racer [Sep 25, 2007]
Strength:

Very good shifting - small ring to large is instant.
Stiff
Good dampening compared to aluninum
Weight - lighter than the FSA compact and Campy BB I just replaced.

Weight (maybe you were expecting less than 850 gm for the complete set).
Chorus UT would be lighter but is 50% more.

Looking to add some bling to my bike, and to get rid of the useless compact crank that was on there before. I like the bigger gears and I live in the foothills of the rockies - I don't know what everyone else excuse is.

Similar Products Used: Carbon cranks none
Aluminum cranks - almost all
zoomservo   Road Racer [Jul 16, 2007]
Strength:

Relatively inexpensive for Outboard bearing cranks. They sort of look like carbon (but feel like plastic). The graphics are nice. They stiffen up the Bottom bracket.

Flexy. Feel like plastic. Slow bearings. Heavy. They creak. They rust. Made in China.

Bought these to help stiffen up the BB - as my nice Ti bike flexes a bit down there when I sprint. The outboard bearings did decrease the deflection, but the arms themselves seem to flex more than my old Team Issue cranks. Also, they really don't seem to be carbon, but bits of plastic pressed together in a mold - look at the difference between these and the Kforce - those are at least carbon. Fortunately I haven't had all the problems with them coming loose or falling off or breaking like all the other reviewers - just a creaking sound that started after about 5k miles. I also noticed that the bearings don't spin half as well as my old dura-ace BB did - these are slow. Will surely get the new Campy cranks when I have the cash. Also, the hollow metal tube started to rust not long after I put these things on, and I don't live anywhere near the ocean.