Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed FC-6600 Double Cranksets

Ultegra 10-Speed FC-6600 Double

Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed Crankset has the HOLLOWTECH II crankset design. Optimum balance of lightweight and rigidity. As the Dura-Ace design, the combination of Hollow Axle and lightweight bottom Bracket design provides smoother rolling, minimal bearing

StillKeen   Recreational Rider [Nov 08, 2009]
Strength:

1) standard bottom bracket, so can use Dura-ace bottom brackets (cost $US30 from PBK)
2) stiff, smooth
3) solid attachment system with the pinch bolt, no chance of the cranks working loose and getting damaged

The new price seems to have gone up a lot, I paid $150 for my first pair new, and now it looks more like $250. For $250 I'd suggest buying secondhand DA instead.

Replaced my 105 5500 cranks on one bike and then bought another set (secondhand) for my cross/commuter/tourer bike.

Everytime I ride one of the bikes with these cranks, they just feel so smooth and stiff .. if it's possible for a recreational rider to notice that.

My commuter had Bontrager cranks that kept working loose, as the bonty's use a terrible retention system. IMHO, shimanos latest crank securing system is the best system out.

Shimano seem to have the weight of their alloy cranks very close to more expensive carbon cranks. These ultegra cranks can be found very cheap on ebay, and seem to just last and last.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race (external BB type).
Shimano 105 5500 (octalink).
Various older square taper cranks.
drewmcg   Recreational Rider [May 06, 2008]
Strength:

After reading so many horror stories about other external bearing cranksets (esp. FSA), TROUBLEFREE and stiff, shift well.

weight, but hey, I gotta lose some myself before I start whining . . .. No carbon "bling".

I'm a big rider (over 220lbs at the moment)and ride hard most of the time. And while I keep lusting after the light/bling carbon cranksets (esp. Campy UT), this Ultegra 6800 double just works too damn good and trouble-free to justify the upgrade (yet). Quite simply, I've never had any kind of problem with these things, over maybe 5,000 miles of riding. I did upgrade to Phil Woods bearings, installed by competitivecyclist.com, which I like, but the original bearings did not give me any real problems.

Similar Products Used: older Campy record and chorus (non-UT)
carbon13   Road Racer [Dec 26, 2007]
Strength:

Reasonable weight.
Extremely stiff.
Shift speed light years a head of the old modle.

l can honestly say l cant think of one thing wrong with them.

Replacing my old octa link nine speed cranks with these was a revelation.
Not only where they significantly lighter
they also topped scoured on a stiffness test, when compared to all the major brands.
The external bearing design seems to do what they say it does extremely well, spinning smooth and strong thus far.
If you havent used the new ultegra the speed of the sifts both up and down th chain wheels may shock you when compared to the old ultegra its that good.

Similar Products Used: shimano 600, various mtb stuff, nine speed ultegra
kristian   Road Racer [Dec 31, 2006]
Strength:

It's stiff, and it's beautiful. You wont be able to tell the difference of performance between an Ultegra and a Dura-ace, except Dura-ace has some stiffer shifting.

It makes some noise, but it's bearable, and it's possibly the gearing or BB.

Well, Ive only used this for awhile so far, but many of my friends tell me it's a great crankset. They have the older models too, and until now they haven't had any major problems with it.

The feel of the rotation of the crank is very smooth, but sometimes it can be slightly noisy, but it also could be the BB. It's also stiff, so the feel is great in sprinting and climbing. It shifts very quickly, but it works best with the Ultegra front derailleur. Although in pictures, the Dura-ace looks better than the Ultegra crankset, for me, it actually looks nicer than the Dura-ace crank in actual.

Similar Products Used: Dura-ace cranks.
Bikerx   Recreational Rider [Aug 15, 2006]
Strength:

Beautiful, light, highly functional

Left side ankle clearance could be better.

This crankset came installed on a new bike as part of a build kit. I currently only have about 40 miles on it, so these are first impressions.

The first thing you notice is the unusual appearance, which I find to be very nice. The outboard bearing cups fill in the gap between the crank arm and the BB shell. I'm not sure if that will make cleaning easier or harder...time will tell. These cups do require a special tool to remove or install. I'm not quite sure why the old style tools weren't good enough, so plan on buying another tool if you do your own maintenance. The anodizing on the chainrings is a nice blue-gray color, and the polish on the arms is flawless.

The chanirings are beautifully machined with numerous rectangular pins and cutouts for improved shifting. The shifting is excellent (with the Ultegra front deraileur and Shimano 10-speed chain). There is about 1 mm of runout in the chainrings, making it a little challenging to keep the front deraileur from rubbing.

The claims about additional stiffness are hard to confirm vs. the previous generation of Ultegra crank. They do seem adequately stiff for the climbing I do at my weight (about 175 lb).

The bottom bracket does not spin as freely as I would expect. This may be a break-in issue. I expect the seals to loosen up and the excess grease to be pushed out as I put on more miles.

The only real complaint I have is that the left side crank arm seems to have less ankle clearance than the previous Ultegra model. In addition, the edges around the BB attachment on that arm are less rounded. The result is a bloody ankle if you happen to make contact. I may be able to fix this with a little cleat adjustment, but I still feel this is a detail that Shimano overlooked.