SRAM Force Cranksets

Force

SRAM Force is the workhorse of SRAMs road lineup, offering the vast majority of the performance of the top-end Red group at a fraction of the price. It features an integrated carbon spider design and a beautiful 6k carbon weave - lighter an...

Danny   [Mar 23, 2012]
Strength:

Very strong and solid. No issues. The screw in Chris King bottom bracket could be making some difference. No side to side play at all.

None noted so far.

I bought the whole Force groupo and had it installed on my Colnago CLX 2 frame. However, I am using a Chris King botton bracket. I have had 0 issues with any of the groupo. Further, The botton bracket and the crankset have been rock solid over the first 2500 miles.

russhow73   Road Racer [May 10, 2011]
Strength:

stiff, carbon, light

All in all these cranks are great. They are stiff and look sweet.

Similar Products Used: dura ace 7800, 7700
Ian   Road Racer [Apr 12, 2011]
Strength:

Looks good, relative light weight

Catastrophic failure. The insert for the pedal on the left crank arm became loose, in short order the insert was no longer stable allowing the pedal force to strip the threads. Pedal detached on a ride, no injury but frustrating.

The SRAM Force Crankset is an attractive, lightweight unit that matched my groupo. The initial set up with the BB seems a bit frustrating but in short time any friction in the interface between the BB and Crank seems to diminish.

Similar Products Used: Record, FSA Carbon, never had a similar experience, my LBS had the same event occur on a Force crank. So far SRAM which usually has outstanding customer service will not warranty.
chuck1073   Recreational Rider [Jul 06, 2010]
Strength:

Light. Well made. Shifts cleanly. Looks great too.

My only beef is with the creaks in the BB. Used lots of grease in the install. The BB still creaks during out-of-the-saddle efforts.

Swapped out my Ultegra crankset and BB for the Sram and GXP BB. The compact crankset is a godsend in the hills here. I'm using it with a 12-25 cassette. It's a little picky about front dir adjustments. Once you get it dialed in though it works very nicely. Super easy install. I've had no issues with BB play. Follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be fine.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultrgra...and (long ago) Shimano Exage with Biopace rings.
xsteveman   Recreational Rider [Jan 05, 2010]
Strength:

Looks good by itself but that's about it. maybe you want to display it in your living room.

Disgusting bottom bracket, and there is no way around it.

The problem is not the crankset but the bottom bracket. The GXP bracket is terrible. If you use the spacers you get lots of friction, if you don't use spacers you have to tighten the crankset together really tight. Anyway the bottom bracket will fall apart after about 500 miles at most no matter how you install it. I could not find a bottom bracket that spins well and is reliable with this crankset which is a shame because the crankset looks great. i would avoid any cranks that use GXP BB.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra is the Shimano alternative.
robnewsom15   Road Racer [Jun 14, 2009]
Strength:

Looks nice. Not very expensive.

Poor Quality Control

Overall I'm happy with the gruppo, but I've had some problems with it. I've narrowed them down to the crankset (after eliminating the issue coming from my frame, shifters, and f derailleur). The crank just isn't very straight. Wobbles back and forth with 7 - 8 mm between extremes. Causes chain rub on my derailleur. Also eliminates ability to be in small ring with my 2 smallest cogs. Wobble tends to make it want to shift up to large ring despite the f derailleur not contacting the chain. Seems like poor QC from SRAM.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra Crankset, DA cranks
fella   Road Racer [Sep 19, 2008]
Strength:

Carbon bling, Powerglide chainrings shift very well.

Much more flexible compared to a forged crank like a Dura-Ace. Standard GXP bottom brackets are garbage - lots of friction. Ran crank with ceramic GXP and was smooth but the flex was too much for me.

SRAM's road groups are excellent, but the cranks so far are the weak link of the groups.

Similar Products Used: Dura-Ace 7800, Race Face Cadence, TruVativ Rouleur Carbon
ejprez   Road Racer [Nov 15, 2007]
Strength:

Lightish, stiff, and great looking.
Easy to install, and disassemble.
Great Value.

Not as light as new Carbon crank that are coming on the market.
Not as pretty as the Sram Red crank.

Got a great deal from the shop, Countrysidecycling.com, and couldn't be happier. Great looking crank, very stiff, and kind of light, not as light as new 2008 carbon cranks, but still light enough. The GXP Bottom Bracket is a hell of a lot better to work on and install, compared to FSA mega-exo. Anyone looking to upgrade I would recommend this crank.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra 6500, FSA SL-K, Race Face Deus, Truvativ stylo, Shimano XT
roberttank   Road Racer [Jul 11, 2007]
Strength:

Light, easy to install, work flawlessly, competitively priced.

Replaced my 9 speed Dura Ace crankset with a SRAM Force carbon compact (50/34) crankset. Also replaced my old Dura Ace cassette with a new DA cassette and replaced my old SRAM PC 89R chain with a SRAM PC 991 Holow Pin chain. To lower my front dérailleur so that it is 1/16 inch above the large chainring I lengthened the vertical adjustment slot on my bike's front screwed on dérailleur hanger about 1/8 inch using an electric drill with a 5/16 inch drill bit. After adjusting the front dérailleur cable the system shifted flawlessly and ran utterly quietly. The GXP Team bottom bracket is very easy to install, does not need to be adjusted like the DA does, and works superbly. I have put 560 miles on my new crankset and i could not be more impressed.