SRAM Rival Cranksets

SRAM Rival Cranksets

SRAM Rival OCT Crankset New for 2009! The rival OCT crankset shows the way forward for any serious cyclist, putting power to the road while saving weight.  Utilizing Open Core technology, the OCT cranksets crank arms are hollow-f...

[Dec 24, 2009]
paul l

Strength:

Up to date design, I detect no flex or creaking from the cranks, chainrings or BB for this 100kg rider. Nothing has come loose or asked for attention. If comparison tests are to be believed then this (Black) Rival chainset is as stiff in the real world as anything else out there

Cosmetic markings from rubbing shoes as reported by previous reviewer. This will happen wih any chainset in my experience

My first external BB Chainset and I have no complaints with installation, performance or wear so far to the extent that I don't understand the negative comments.

I have to mark it as 5 for value as I think there are many subtle design touches used by SRAM that only revea themselves slowly (such as the fighter-pilot origin levers not scratching when you park your bike against a wall unlike competitors).

Marked as 4 overall as it would take a finsih that can't mark through wear to earn a 5

Various Shimano. Tested but not lived with Campag chainsets

[Nov 07, 2009]
dubdryver

Strength:

Stout, well made, precise, when installed correctly will provide years of flawless reliability. Lightweight for level grade component.

Aluminum self extracting bolt could be made of a more durable material to "dummy-proof" installation. Paint on crank arm can rub off if in constant contact with shoe..but that is purely cosmetic.

Not really anything special to say about the crank, it does the job without fuss. What I am concerned with is ALL the negative comments about the GXP BB! I have consulted many people and LBS about this along with my personal experience which includes the same BB thats for 2 of my MTBs. I will have to say that 95% of the people complaining about this BB never installed it correctly, and either overtorqued or undertorqued the self extracting bolt. More likely didnt even use a torque wrench altogether! Granted it is an aluminum bolt (admit not the best choice of materials) but it works fine when done properly. My SC Blur has had the Stylo 3.3 GXP team (GXP BB) I weigh 180...no not 220 lb. but still I ride hard, and have not even had the bolt come loose once. Really when reviewing this product and if the BB is your concern because of all the negative reviews ask yourself a question to determine if you want a SRAM Crank/BB. Do you plan on following the instructions? Do you have a Torque Wrench or are having a shop install it? If you answer "NO" to any of those questions, don't buy this, you will just be another idiot that can't follow instructions and writes a dumb review because of his/her own failure.

105, plan on going to force eventually, I am sold on SRAM drivetrains! For road and mountain. They are probably the most innovative company for bike components today, but that will probably happen with my habanero when I get it.

[Sep 30, 2009]
swierszcz

Strength:

Shifting was OK when the crank was new.Was relatively light for a 2007 product. Cheap.

Rubbing noise during out of saddle climbs, flexing chainrings . Recently (8000 miles) I started dropping chain very often shifting to the small ring. FD adjustments did not help. BB is very fragile.

I like SRAM Rival a lot but the crank was disappointment from the start. SRAM replaced BB on warranty after maybe 500 miles. It did not stop a rubbing noise while climbing. Chainrings very flexible and bent easily. Never had a smooth feeling I get now riding Ultegra 6750.

Shimano 6750 Ultegra compact, Truvativ Elita

[Aug 31, 2008]
Joe

Strength:

On Sale
Easy to install
PerformanceBike has a great return policy

Drags
Fragile
A former racer now weekend warrior destroyed it

Had the 50/34 SRAM Rival compact crank on my bike for 4 months. Maybe 1500 miles during that time. Was working on jumps from a near standing start to build power for sprinting. The outer chainring snapped and then bent all to heck. I'm a strong rider, but ain't putting out that much wattage. I'm sure the pros are destroying these weekly.

I am replacing this crank with a Shimano one. Never, ever had a problem with my Ultegra cranks. And so ends my testing of the SRAM road component group!!

Shimano Durace
Shimano Ultegra
Ritchey Compact

[Aug 13, 2008]
benInMA

Strength:

- Cost
- Easy to install & uninstall, does not require any special tools other then an 8mm allen wrench for the crank fixing bolt and two others (forget the sizes) for the chainrings

- Looks good when new

- Has to be torqued very carefully with plenty of grease or it will tend to loosen

- Chainring bolts also seem to have a tendency to work loose, after the 2nd try at removing, cleaning, loc-titing, and carefully re-torquing they seem to hold and run quiet.

- Finish is fragile, scratches exceptionally easy.

Satisfactory crank but nothing special.

105, DA, Ultegra, FSA Gossamer

[Jul 16, 2008]
mtbiker278

Strength:

Very stiff, crisp/smooth shifts, Cheap, Bottom bracket compatible with a number of cranksets, Durable, easy install.

On the heavy side, possible problem with plastic cup spacer, Might not match people's color scheme

I bought a Rival Compact Crankset to replace the Stock Bontrager Crankset on my Trek 2100. Both of these cranks use the Travativ GXP bottom bracket. Upon disassembly of the stock crank I noticed the plastic spacer between the bearing cups had a nice big crank in it. Also one of the in bearing races on the non-drive side was pressed onto the spindle preventing the drive-side bearing cup from being remved from the spindle. My guess was the shop that put the bike together didn't really grease stuff up before assembling.

after removing the old crank and botom bracket, with everything lubed up the install was a breeze. I tightened all bolts and cups to the top end of their torque range. My initial test ride indicated I needed to adjust my front derailler a bit, but afterwards shifts were crisp and smooth.

Overall I'm happy with this crankset. Climbing with the extra gear range definitely helps. On a side note, make sure you check the torque on the crank bolt every so often. My bontrager crank loosened after a while.

Bontrager Race Lite GXP, Shimano LX, RaceFace Evolve DH.

[Jul 14, 2008]
danielhaden

Strength:

Its pretty and it shifts really well.
Its theoretically possible, albeit temporary, for the bottom bracket to fit a bike so there's neither wobble, nor drag.
It has all of the "promises" of the Ultegra SL at a lower price point; however, the Rival's talents lay more towards selling Shimano parts than SRAM parts, because the "no drag" SRAM bottom bracket upgrade component itself is priced almost the same as an Ultegra SL setup that doesn't drag. I guess that wouldn't be a strength, but it led me towards buying a quality crankset instead of fixing this Rival.

Oh, where do I start? Its the onery bottom bracket involving a "bait-n-switch" type scam! Okay, if your frame is longer than the bottom bracket, even by 1mm, this thing will drag so bad its like the brakes are stuck. Second, if the bottom bracket shell of the bike is too short, its going to need a spacer. Too little and the cranks will wobble. The only wobble prevention is on the drive side. So, you add a spacer. Those are available in sizes too little (wobble) and too much (severe drag). YUCK!!! The left crankarm loosens up over time and you have to tighten the bolt. That also compresses the bearings for yet more drag, just when you think it couldn't get worse--it most certainly does. All while experiencing this ordeal, the left arm, with its one fragile aluminum bolt gets a tendency to become stuck, and thus some risk of this junk getting stuck on your bike frame if the one flimsy bolt fails. SRAM has an upgrade bottom bracket pack that sells for more than the Rival crankset. Total price for a non-drag Rival nears $350, plus quite a bit of labor. Its possible, but don't get lured by the low "introductory" price involving that whole bottom bracket scam deal.

First, lets talk about the lovely shifting and elegant appearance. It does that quite well. If you can't get your 10 cog system to shift at the front, this dealie can help.
The name "Rival"? Well, it must be a Rival for FSA cranksets, because its nowhere close to Ultegra.
This crankset is about 40g lighter than a Sugino square taper setup; however, the Rival has much more opportunity for greater fitness through extra exercise.

I don't recall having ever purchased a similar bike component like the Rival. Its inbuilt "bait and switch" scam with first the junk bottom bracket and then the $200 "real" bottom bracket, well, that seems to be unique.

[Jul 07, 2008]
Joe_Jitsu

Strength:

Good Price; works well.

Not super light; not as easy to install at the new Shimano gear.

This crank replaced a 2003 Ultegra crank. It works about as well as the crank it replaced. There was a bit a drag at first, but it got better over time. When I switched it to another frame, it installed without much drag at all.

2003 Ultegra; 2008 105

[Dec 21, 2007]
Jlicciarde

Strength:

Stiff Crank Shifts as good or better than the Ultegra Crank I replaced.

Crome finish

Purchased the 50/34 compact version shifts great with standard 9 speed 105 front derailleur, Easy to install comes with bottom bracket.

Ultegra 6600 FAS Compact Shim 700 Compact.