Truvativ Elita 2.2 Cranksets

• GXP BB System
  • PowerGlide Chainrings

[Dec 17, 2009]
sixfofalcon

Strength:

Tremendous value. Feels strong, stiff, smooth, and light. Looks great--matches my black wheels perfectly.

Tricky installation (perhaps "reinstallation" is the better term) even for someone who turns wrenches on a regular basis. Most competing products use more straightforward designs and may be a better choice if you are looking for a more foolproof installation.

I've been using this crankset for a little over a month now, and I'm quite impressed with the quality and value. After reading through the other reviews here, I knew that I would have to pay keen attention to the non-drive-side crank arm and make sure that it was torqued and seated properly. I assembled everything per the directions, then rode on the bike trainer for about 20 minutes. The crank arm still felt tight with absolutely no play, and when I put the allen wrench to it, the retaining bolt was still tight as well. Out of caution I decided to completely remove it, re-grease the splines, and reinstall per the directions. Lo and behold, I was able to snug the arm much tighter (smaller gap between the inner face of the crank arm and the outer face of the bearing) with the same amount of force. I rode the bike a few more times on the trainer (I think it was about three 20-30 minute sessions of interval training) and repeated the process (remove, re-grease, reinstall) and again, I was able to tighten the crank arm closer to the bearing with the same amount of force. I've now put several more fairly intense training sessions on the bike and the crankarm is holding fast with zero play or wiggle room.

My conclusion is that simply re-torquing the crank fixing bolt after a ride or two is not adequate. Completely removing the crank arm, re-greasing the splines, and re-installing the arm a couple of times yielded the best engagement of the splines. I would liken it to tapping threads on a fastener--it's best to cut the threads a little at a time, backing up considerably and applying lubricant before attempting more forward progress. In fact, I would speculate that in fact the splines of the spindle are indeed cutting and deforming the splines of the crank arm with each installation. After a few repetitions of the process, they are more perfectly seated to each other, which helps to distribute all that pedaling torque more evenly across the surface area of the splined interface.

Such a unique and somewhat confusing design is probably not the wisest thing to put out there without extremely explicit instructions, but it is working quite well for me, thanks in great part to the comments and warnings posted here on this website and a little engineering background. I hope to have better results over the long-term than some of the other reviewers have had.

Of course, it's also possible that I just got lucky (so far).

[Oct 16, 2008]
palo alton

Strength:

Manage a bike shop. We have had over 10 rental bikes with these cranks and have sold many bikes as well with these cranks. 1# problem, theLEFT ARM FALLS OFF. Yes, we tightened them correctly after the few first rides but they still would come off. The bottom bracket spindle is slightly tapered but will in time bottom out against a shelf. Talked to warranty department, they do not admit problem and advised that cranks were not tightened properly. They were out of left arms??? Wonder why.......

Read above.

This Compact crank sucks! Most left cranks can come off if not retightened after break in period...but we had close to TEN cranks have problems.

20 other types over the shops 30 years. Shimano has been the best for us.

[Oct 16, 2008]
chiis

Read above.

20 other types over the shops 30 years. Shimano has been the best for us.

[Apr 11, 2008]
Will

Strength:

Simplicity of attachment

Durability

Destroyed it commuting to work in 2 summers (short Alaska summers). Same thing happened as stated in the other reviews: the crank arm would loosen up and need to be tightened every 3 miles. Inspection revealed the inside of the crank arm was worn down. I've put maybe 8 months on the bike, riding to work on pavement. I consider myself an average commuter/college student, and when averaging my experience with that of the other reviews of this product, I would say it will not hold up to daily use for very long.

[Jan 05, 2008]
patcat3

Strength:

50x36t gearing is super for recreational riders. (Why did I wait so long?) The price is affordable.

For the price, none. (If I wanted lighter, I'd have to pay significantly more for anything in carbon. Nah.)

I bought this compact crank set because of the gearing at 50x36t and the fact that it had the one-piece crank with outboard bearings. As a 5' 8" rec-rider, the 52x39t had limitations for me. After making this switch, ride performance was vastly improved on the flats and especially on the climbs.

With the outboard bearings and GPX one-piece crank, I can do some heavy standing on climbs and it's smooth.

I've put around 3.5 K miles on them over the past two years--I have several bikes I ride through the year--and the only thing I'm noticing is the chrome-plating starting to wear off of the teeth.

Shimano Ultegra, 105, Sugino chainrings, Vuelta Chainrings, Rocket Chainrings

[Nov 24, 2007]
Mark

Just an update to my earlier review here.
I have 3300 km on this Crank. I've had no problems with it. No strange sounds, or arms falling off.

[Nov 22, 2007]
shinymunkey

Strength:

They looked cool

Spline system is complete crap.

Utter Crap.
Upgraded from the touro which came stock on my KHS Flite700. Very nice cranks for the first 4 months i used them. Very stiff and light for the price. Noticed a dead spot (as one other reviewer put it) in my spin and got off bike to find the crankarm coming loose. Torqued it up really tight with a large allen key again and same thing happened a week later. Tried again but it didn't even last the next ride.
Unless you tighten these cranks VERY often you will have trouble. The spline system for these cranks has been very poorly designed.
Bottom line if you want something that works get something with a proven spline system. The propriatary spline system used on these cranks is complete crap.
Or if you don't really like riding your bike and just want to torque the crank spline bolt for kicks then these are for you.
Also couldn't get warantee. Funnily enough a check for replacement arms for this setup yielded a 2-3 month wait... hmmm i "wonder" why

[Nov 12, 2007]
weltyed

Strength:

cheap. they warranty their products

it broke. this seems to be a design flaw. if you read around, it seems several other external bearing systems have this issue. it doesnt seem to be a truvativ issue.

wanted a compact crank that was "better" than my nashbar compact crank. also wanted silver. also wanted to try the outboard bearing cranks.

install was easy. i like the BB cup engagement system better than the ISIS/Octalink shells. seems to not strip as you install/uninstall.

after a shake down ride, i re-tightened everything. everything was great for a few hundred miles. i mean, i was seriously loving these things. then i started to notice a "dead spot" in my spin. when the left arm was at the top it felt like the pedal cleat was loose. at the end of the ride i tighetend everything up again.

next ride the left crank arm went loose after 2 miles. retightened it. loose in 1 mile.

i contacted sram about a replacement and they had me goin through the dealer. "we dont deal directly with the consumer." they also made it sound like i didnt install it properly. "you need to tighten the bolt after the first ride. it is a tapered spline system. if you dont do that, the left arm comes loose works aginst the BB interface. this basically destroys the arm and it must be replaced."
grrr.
i replied i had been very happy with the cx crank i had. and that i did tighten everything back down, to torque specs, after the first ride. and this was not stated in teh instructions sent with teh part, nor in any online documentation.
i still had to go through a dealer.

to wheel and sprockets, i say "THANK YOU." what other click and mortar store on ebay would help with a warranty?

four days later i received a rival crank arm and a rival crank bolt. this bolt is different than the original...

it is now installed, but i dont trust it.

will post a follow up...

105 octalink, nashbar isis, truvativ elita cx isis.

[Jun 13, 2007]
Dan Werkmeister

Strength:

are you kidding?

Flimsy and weak.

This came stock on my Cannondale CAAD 8, optimo 1. I have about 500 miles on this bike. I started noticing a problem a few weeks ago. The outer gear is bent to where I cannot adjust the front deraileur to keep from rubbing on the chain. You would think that with a sizeable investment you would get a better crankset. The crankset is where the power is delivered to the bike and you would assume that they wouldn't skimp on quality here, but that is not what you get. This Truvativ crankset is a piece of junk. I do like to get out of the saddle and crank up the hills. And I'll admit, I'm not your standard sized biker, I'm a stocky 5'8", 190 lb guy, but I want better quality than this.

[Jun 02, 2007]
Mark

Strength:

Stiff
Lightweight for its price range
Looks great (well, I think so)

None found so far

I am very happy with this crank! It is an upgrade from my Truvativ Touro Crank (square splined shaft) which came with my bike. My stock crank allowed for so much flex that I couldn't use top gear (chain would come off if I applied too much pedal force). But, because this crank is so stiff, I can now allows me to use top gear! I'm 6' at 173 lbs. I typically ride long rolling hills.
My rides are usually about 100 - 120km long. I can ride 160 km in about 5hrs (last year was 5:05hrs), so I know how to
huff it. Given that, this crank has stood up to my abuse so far. I have just over 800 km (500 miles) on them and have experience no problems. The shifting is confident, the chainrings a straight and
true..no bent teeth. The rotational operation is smooth (they take a bit to break in..at which point they get really smooth). And
I'm happy to report no noises. The finish is beautiful and durable.

Truvativ Touro. Not a fair comparison because this was a cheap crank.