Truvativ Elita Double Cranksets

• 53/39 Elita Double.
  • Splined

• User Reviews (9)

Daniel Sato   Road Racer [Nov 05, 2010]
    Strength:

Cheap - $40 on eBay brand new with the bottom bracket included.

Left crank arm falls off during races!

I bought this crank to throw on my cross bike build, because I also wanted to use it as a commuter, and I knew from experience that CX gearing is a little too low for the road. However, the crank bolt works its way loose now regardless of how much loctite I used. DNF'ing a cross race because your crank arm fell off on bell lap is an unpleasant experience.

I've checked over the threads repeatedly; there's no sign of damage, so this has to be a design defect. Lesson learned: buy cheap, buy twice.

Similar Products Used: Rival, Ultegra, FSA Gossamer, miscellaneous square-taper cranks.
    nocat50   Road Racer [Mar 22, 2003]
    Strength:

Again, they're extremely stiff and light. The design is very well executed. Moreover, they perform better than DA cranks for a lot less $$$!!! ($149 MSRP)

You might have trouble finding a shop that is well versed in servicing them. They use, for example, a retaining washer that can easily be overlooked.

These cranks are amazing! I've had just few rides so far, but they're already showing that they're among the best cranks out there. The stiffness is everything that TruVativ says. You'll notice it immediately on climbs. I'd highly recommend these to everyone that has an interest in getting optimal performance out of their bicycle, be it for road racing, TTT, ITT, crits, stage racing (lighter than DA cranks!), triathlons, etc.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra Shimano DA
    lugnut866   Recreational Rider [Jan 12, 2003]
    Strength:

Solid performance.

Looks ok, but who cares about looks

Just my first impressions, but I have been very pleased with it's smoothness. First time with ISIS crankset system and the lack of creaking and general "feeling" is great. I feel I can get up on it and real push hard AND KNOW that my effort will be translated directly into speed or power.

Similar Products Used: Campy Record, Veloce, and Shimano 105
    Inatb   Road Racer [Apr 19, 2002]
    Strength:

Nice Rings

Cost cutting

These cranks shift flawlessly, but they do not have the looks or the quality I had expected. The black finish is matte on the back side of the crank. To make different lengths they used the same arms, just drilled the pedal holes closer to the bottom bracket. It seems that the only TRUely inoVATIV is the method of cost cutting, though they cost more than Ultegra or Chorus

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Ex, Shimano 105, Ultegra
    CCN   Road Racer [Mar 14, 2002]
    Strength:

Really stiff, flawless shifting, price

if you are a weight weeney... they are a little heavier than Dura Ace

These are awesome cranks that shift flawlessly with my dura ace components. When it gets time to put the hammer down these cranks will not let you down. They look cool too(black crank arms with brushed aluminum chainrings)

Similar Products Used: Shimano 105, Ultegra
    e-lee   Road Racer [Dec 19, 2001]
    Strength:

stiffness, shifting, price

While the Elitas may not have the luster of a Record crankset, they''re still sharp looking.

This being Wisconsin in December, I thought I''d have to wait a while to really put these new cranks to the test but we''ve had record warmth and that has allowed me to get out on a regular basis. I tend to use rather unconventional components on my bikes and the Truvativ cranks replaced an old set of Mavics that were stiff enough but kinda clunky. The Elitas have proven to be even stiffer which I attribute to the isis bb. While I use unconventional componentry on my own bikes I usually shy away from recommending anything other than Shimano chainrings to others as shifting performance traditionally suffers on anything I''ve tried. However, the Elita chainrings have shifted flawlessly to this point. I also got the extractor bolts with my set so nyaah.

Similar Products Used: None
    Shawn   Road Racer [Dec 11, 2001]
    Strength:

Everything was well designed. If there is some kinda factory defect, send it in and you will get it back quick. I alos loved how the tru vativ label wont rub off.

Nothin'' that I have noticed.

Sleek, smooth, long lasting, great shifting, beautiful on the climbs, lightweight, black, and oh yea, drop dead sexy. Great cranks for the road rider/racer. I dont think I am ever goin back to shimano cranks. they just dont stay tight enough for me.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Crap.
    Chucho   Road Racer [Dec 06, 2001]
    Strength:

ISIS Drive, Stiff, Light, Great Value, Shifting and beautifully engineered.

Where are the self-extractors?

This is a great set of cranks. The ISIS Drive system has been a joy. Shifting has not let me down. For Truvativ''s first line of road cranks they sure did it right. They are stiff and light. Definitely much better then my old square Ultegra cranks and have replaced my Dura-Ace set nicely. I chose the gloss black, damn are they sexy! I am thuroughly enjoying a nice looking and functioning crankset that isn''t Shimano or Campy.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra. Shimano Dura-Ace, splined.
    raoul   Road Racer [Nov 14, 2001]
    Strength:

These cranks are really, really stiff. The ISIS Drive idea really works. The shifting is incredible; on par or better than my Dura-Ace 7700 rings.

I wish they had self-extracting crank bolts.

I have Truvative cranks on my mountain bike and they rule. when i broke my dura-ace cranks i tried these out. they cost about the same as Ultegra but are lighter and stiffer than Ultegra. That and the Ultegra is kind of ugly. I''m going to get another pair for my cross bike.