Shimano Tiagra FD-4503-B Front Derailleur

• 20T capacity
  • 63-66 degrees chainstay angle

[Dec 30, 2008]
taputah

Strength:

Shifts quickly and effortlessly

Haven't had any yet.

I bought this to replace a junker on an old frame. It shifts beautifully and I haven't had the problem the other reviewer mentioned. It has stayed true and I haven't had to adjust it yet. I just ride around the neighborhood which has good hills and flats. I like it a lot.

Just mountain stuff, Acera, LX and XT

OVERALL
[Sep 14, 2008]
Slowman

Strength:

None. It is a part that I'd flag for an immediate upgrade. It shifts OK when the derailleur is at the right height but it just won't stay there.

The spring is so strong that when you upshift the chain to the big chain ring it actually pulls the band clamp down along the seat tube. By the end of a 2 hour ride you can't shift up to the big chain ring because the cage has actually dropped too far down. With a carbon frame there is a limit to how much you want to tighten the clamp. So I put some electrical tape around the tube which usually give s little more purchase but it still pulled the whole derailleur down along the seat tube.

This came on a bike which I am taking to leave in Taiwan, the mountains up there require a triple and bike was on special.

My training bike has Dura Ace and my Tri/TT race bike has Ultegra and I've never experienced such bad front shifting ever.

OVERALL