Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed Groupos

Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed Groupos

Campagnolo Chorus 11 Speed Group: It's hard to resist the allure of carbon fiber. That is why Campagnolo has designed the all new Chorus groupset, making it more aggressive and with even better performance, reaching top-of-the-line levels...

[Mar 19, 2017]
Terry

Strength:

Shifting characteristics and weight, quality of components.

Cost (but not when viewed with longevity in mind)

Overall, f'n rock-solid, quick shifting under torque, and very positive action, like shifting an old Miata as opposed to some newer hydraulic stick with no feel. I had this mounted last year on a cervelo, started this year on Ultegra with a Giant, and went back to it because of the feel of the shifters and shifting action. I also felt the brakes to be less spongy with better feel of the modulation.
I've raced at a CAT1 level and am probably one or two guys out of any given race who rides it (because bike racers are too cheap for campy, and they get SRAM and Shimano sponsored). They don't know what they're missing, maybe I'll start giving test rides.

[Oct 23, 2014]
MercRidnMIke

Strength:

-Positive shift action with good tactile and audible feedback
-Solid front shifting
-High quality feel
-11 speed
-Aesthetics
-Weight
-Serviceable / rebuildable
-Very "set and forget" once properly set-up
-All torque specs provided
-Adjustable hoods
-3/5 shifts per push possible
-Extended warranty (was on when I bought my set)

-Thumb shifters can take a while to get used to
-Not as common (spares can be harder to get)
-Some proprietary parts / tools can be required
-Takes time to set up properly

Now that I have a season on my 2014 Campy Chorus group, I think I have enough experience to give a proper review. I swapped the Chorus group onto my bike, relieving it of it's SRAM Rival / FSA mix that came stock. Dura-Ace was my other option at the time, so there are a few comparisons here (though most would compare Chorus to Ultegra).

Install:
Ok, I have a full set of Allen and Torx bits for my torque wrench, so I didn't have any issues installing the set. I also used the appropriate quick link rather than the Campy chain tool (which is expensive).

I think the hardest part was running the internal cables through my frame (there are lots of good pointers on the forums to assist you). The BB went in easily and the install of the crank was one of the most "no fuss" I've had...preload is done by a wave washer, so all you need to do is insert one side, lock it in with the retaining spring, line up and insert the other side then insert and torque up the bolt that holds the two halves of the spindle together.

Everything else went in as typical....levers (I added the spacers as I have large hands), brakes and derailleurs. The rear derailleur took only a couple minutes to get installed and set-up. The front took a little longer...the "three click to shift" took a couple tries. Don't be rushed in setting up the front...it pays big dividends to do it right.

First Ride:
I will admit that there was a bit of a learning curve having the thumbies again after being on Double Tap for a while. Similar to SRAM shifting, the rear with very quick, positive response. The front was an eye opener...I've never had a system shift so positively. My Shimano set-ups have been good....don't get me wrong here....but there has always seemed to be a bit of a delay, even with the derailleur as dialed in as possible. There is no delay or missed shifts with the Campy group.

After a season:
Ok....with more time, I've found a few things to really love about the group. First is the multi-shift ability. It isn't something you use all the time, but when you do, it is a bit of a bonus to be able to just keep going.

Doing trips into the foothills and Rocky Mountains means some good transitions up/down and down/up. Being able to double-sweep or double-thumb has made these transitions almost disappear...including with the multi-shift ability. By the time the season was drawing down, hill transitions have become almost an intuitive thing....I don't have to think about them anymore, I can just think about it and it seems to happen.

My overall impression is that the Chorus group is a very refined group. Dura-Ace is a hair lighter (both lever feel and overall weight), but is also so quiet that it is possible that you don't get any shifting feedback. If you like that, then Chorus will seem loud and too firm. I like the positive feedback and positive shifting.

If I had to do a comparison, the Chorus group is more like a Ferrari transmission...hard gates, a bit notchy, but still with that undeniable refined feel that is hard to describe. Dura-Ace felt more like a Japanese double-clutched paddle shift system: light, smooth, fast and capable, but something in the feel was missing (to me).

Overall:
This was my first foray into Campagnolo after all of my cycling career spent on Shimano or SRAM gear. I know there is personal preference involved (i.e. hood shape, shifting style), but for me the Chorus group has worked exceptionally well and was a very good upgrade over my stock set-up. The weight is about the same as Dura-Ace with an Ultegra cassette, so the bike lost weight (not that the rider doesn't need to lose far more than what was saved over stock) and has been bullet-proof so far.

The ultimate question, I guess is: would I do it again or put Chorus on another bike if it were an option? The answer for this clyde is a definite yes. There are some quirks, but overall, it is one hell of a group for the price.

SRAM Rival, Force (multiple demos)
Shimano Tiagra, 105, Ultegra (multiple demos), Dura-Ace (a couple demos)

[Sep 16, 2012]
dgeesaman

Strength:

Snappy shifting, lightweight construction, 11 usable gears, multi-gear shifts in either direction.

It's Campy so it's not the perfect choice when the budget is tight. Limited options for joining the chain.

I chose 2013 Chorus 11 speed for my first road bike build (2nd road bike). Compared to the Shimano 105/Ultegra 10 speed components, the shifting is much cleaner and more positive. Comparing Shimano shifting to Campy is like comparing the keystrokes of a computer keyboard to a Royal manual typewriter, it's just that satisfying. Single gear shifts are so smooth that if I'm not paying attention I don't sense the movement of the chain, and if I'm pedaling on the flats there is no need to adjust my pedaling torque to "let" in shift in either direction. Installation of the shifters was somewhat tedious and included some issues getting the front derailleur cable properly threaded through the shifter. (I was unsuccessful threading it as described in the documentation).

The shifters are quite different from Shimano, especially that the tension shift (the direction that moves the chain to the bigger gears) is behind the brake handle. In Shimano that's the lever that moves in the opposite direction. Also the thumb buttons are harder to reach in the drops if you have your shifter hoods positioned above horizontal. I love that I can pull 2, 3, 4, or even 5 gears at a time in either direction, however I can only do that with my hand over the hood. With my hands on the drops I'm limited to 2 gears/shift, and my hands are larger than most. All that said, I can still move the chain further than I can with Shimano.

The chain certainly is narrow. As a 200lb guy the only things I fear are a broken chain or wheel spoke. On my Shimano I was confident to use a quick-release link and carry another plus a chain tool for roadside repair, but on the Campy there are few options. Chain breakage is not a common occurrence, but still it's good to have a repair option. You can get quick links but there is currently only one option (KMC I believe) and I'm won't use it until others provide me the confidence it will be as strong and reliable as a pinned link. I opted for the Campy chain tool, which I built into my budget when comparing gruppos. Actually, it's not optional - use it or use a shop that has one.

Comparing again to Shimano, the front derailleur motion is 3 clicks of the left hand shifter. With the high and low limits correctly set, this makes a shift clean and easy and also allows 2 trim positions.

Braking is responsive and consistent and the stock pads are perfectly usable on aluminum rims. They open enough to slip in 25mm tires. I do wish however that Campy would have included extra ferrules for frames that run exposed cable to the rear brake along the top tube.

Another note on durability - I like that Campy cassettes are not known for biting into the freehub. This is common with Shimano / Sram freehub splines and although some people say it's harmless, I am concerned that it misaligns the shift ramp features of the cogs and reduces shifting performance. On the subject of cassettes, I should mention it's terrific that they have an 11-29t option for those of us clydesdales who are still drawn to the steepest hills. I'm running at the moment.

Shimano Ultegra 6600 / 105 5600

[Jul 27, 2012]
cohiba7777

Strength:

Exacting performance - just doesn't miss a shift. Braking on par with similar/higher end group sets. Graphics are good, probably not great, but form and fit are precise. You feel like you are using an engineered product, not merely one that's been manufactured. Quiet and smooth from start to finish.

Non, less the graphics. I like what SRAM does in adding color & could be nice to see in the Campy line as well.

Came off of SRAM Red 2010, Dura-Ace/Ultegra hybrid prior to that. Will never go back to the others. Built up my first Campy bike this winter as I put this kit on my new Moots Vamoots CR. Clean and crisp is the best way to describe this group - looked at going to DI or even Record but was convinced by LBS this was a great set up - and it is. I do not race and am a pure recreational/event rider (Ms, Fondos, etc.) so for my purposes of performance need this is an exceptional product.

SRAM Red
Shimano Dura Ace
Shimano Ultegra

[Jun 18, 2012]
OrenPerets

Strength:

smooth... precise.
campagnolo :)

none that i can think of.

I "up/down graded" from record 10 speed to chorus 11 speed.
Overall, the chorus is a bit more refined in shifting than the record was (although the record was more than 6 years old).

It is very smooth in each shift.
Has powerful braking (better than the record had)
the new shape ergolevers are a huge improvement in the ergonomics

A very good group; probably best value for money today.

Shimano ultegra 6500
shimano dura-ace 7700
Chorus 10 speed
record 10 speed

[Aug 11, 2011]
Dajianshan

Strength:

Crisp, sure, tight, easy, ergo, satisfying, fast, reliable, awesome, less expensive than Record or Super Record for almost the same thing just a half a poo heavier.

A little more spendy, but worth the expense in saved heartache.

I made the switch to Campy after 3 years running Shimano Ultegra... and what a relief. The shifting is crisp, sure and definite. I haven't had to touch the barrel adjuster since the first week of breaking it in. Pop! I am in gear. It is not mushy or unsure like Ultegra. The hoods feel great on my hands and the thumb shifter is perfect. I never thought I would like the thumb shifter as I was assuming Sora... but not I get it. It makes perfect sense from each part of the bar; drops, hoods, tops... I can even get lazy and reach a pinky out to shift on a century ride. I still have Shimano 105 on my CX bike, but I wish I didn't. Chorus has never failed me like Ultegra used to... always on a crucial ramp on a 10% grade or in a sprint.

Shimano Ultegra 6700, Shimano 105, Sram Rival, Sram RED

[Jun 07, 2010]
Michael

Strength:

Great performance for the price. It's 90% of Super Record for half the $$$. Pretty light, 2185 grams on my scale (with 175 CT crank.) Reliable. The more I ride it the better and smoother it seems.

Not much. Requires Torx head bits for lots of the set up including levers. Chain tool was hideously expensive but now about 50% of when first released.

Have ridden and /or owned groupsets from all the main players in the last few years, this suits my needs / wants the best.

Shifting is really crisp and direct. Feels solid but smooth once run in. Lever shape is great. Braking from the hoods is the best out there. Hood material is comfy even on long rides.

Cables are quite light and run smoother than the 10 speed versions.

Bottom bracket is smooth as butter. People go on about Red having ceramics but these must be very good steel bearings because you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Derailleurs work flawlessly. FD trim is tops. Shift to the big ring is much improved, not in the league of Dura Ace but better in every other respect.

Chain and cassette work perfectly and will be durable thanks to them being all steel. The 11-23 cassette is surprisingly light too.

Crank set is light and stiff. Assessment of flex is simple... there isn't any.

Brakes are good if they are better than the 10 speed version it would only be because of the better lever shape. There is more purchase than before.

Looks like a supermodel but is much less maintenance.

Red, Force, Dura-Ace 7900 & 7800, Campag Record and Chorus 10 spd. Truth be told they are all good. I do prefer the new 11spd to all the others but will concede Red is lighter by 200 grams (who cares) but is crude compared to this and Dura Ace has a better big ring shift (everything else though is sub-standard.)

[Mar 07, 2010]
voodooguy

Strength:

FD trim; precision; shifter fit and paddle function; great compromise between cost and weight (I guess I'm saying they're a great value.) Looks: CF looks great with that marbled look on the cranks. Comfort. Multi cog shifting; able to shift during the climb if I need to do so.

None that I can see at this time.

Coming off an Ultegra mix drive train to the Campy side was the best and smartest thing I've done for my ride. Built up an RS with Chorus 11 using a 12-27 cassette. The difference was notable right from the start. The hoods fit into my palm, the shifting of multiple cogs up and down is tremendous. Each shift is with confidence and precision. The FD trim feature is wonderful. The little things in the design continue to blow me away: The inclination of the shifter towards the center and the fact that the paddle sweeps back towards me in an arc following the natural flow of the hand closing. (rather than straight across like Ultegra makes such a huge difference) Shifting on climbs has not caused any "cruch" of jamming. The transition to Campy was a breeze.

Honestly? Never used anything similar to this: It's a whole new world. Sorry, no comparison to the Ultegra (although the Ultegra has been great for me)

[Jan 18, 2010]
tomcarne

Strength:

The shift levers are a big improvement in comfort and feel but still give that Campag shift. Derailleurs front and rear are very good as is the chainrings, cassette, and chain. It is actually very well priced if you are prepared to shop around.

The UT cranks have a problem with the wavy washer as they can allow the crank to move laterally. This can be fixed by fitting an additional washer to reduce play and increase tension on the bearings. This is not always the case but be aware that this may develop and take action before it becomes a real problem (a quick search will list a few complaints). This close ratio system does require close attention to shifting tuning but works well but not perfectly. The jockey wheels are a bit sloppy and I would recommend the record upgrade to ceramics when the std ones show wear. The same can be said for the chain as the difference in price is nothing.

A very good groupset and offers all the attributes common to Campag gear. Whoever said you didn't need 11speed obviously hasn't ridden this. Especially good is the vast choice in ratio's and there is no need to change the rear deraileur to accomdate this. If you are phased by the price and want 10speed the Centaur offers excellent value and is almost identical but highly likely that all Campag will be 11speed soon. Avoid 07 Campag Centaur like the plague, plastic internals in the shift levers are shocking

shimano 105 10s
Campag Centaur 10s
Campag Chorus 10s

[Jan 13, 2010]
robbo

Strength:

- Shifting - crisp, mechanical, faultless
- The shape and comfort of the new Ergo-Power shifters
- Reliability (so far)
- The ability to multiple downshift the rear dérailleur
- Cost (relative to Record and Super Record)

- Weight (I suppose there has to be one reason why you might what to buy further up the campy tree)
- Braking power (SRAM and Shimano systems I have previously used have more immediate braking power) the braking quality is by no standard poor.

I purchased the groupset as part of a new ground up build completed in late September 2009. I did so somewhat blind having never ridden campy before therefore taking a punt after having read reports and on the word of the owner of my LBS. I decided on chorus as a cost effective way to get all record has to offer really only sacrificing weight.
After 3 months I can comfortably say that chorus 11 speed is exceptional!!! In an average of 350k's a week I have put the gruppo to test in all manner of conditions and on all kinds of rides; from long haul century+ grinds including 10K climbs to fast paced, short tight crit circuits. This groupset performs well above my expectations. Coming off SRAM Force I found the mechanical nature of Campy rewarding to shift - crisp and faultless. I had been told that with the new 11speed I was potentially going to have to:
a) tune the group more often due to the addition of a cog and decrease in chain width
b) sacrifice the inherent campy mechanical clunk when shifting, a trait campy die-hards swear by but had been apparently lost with the recent upspec.
Neither of these I can atest to - I have serviced this groupset no more than other shimano, sram options I've owned and compared to those rival companies offerings the mechanical nature of shifting is very much a characteristic of the 11speed feel, I might add that it's characteristic I have quickly grown to love!! I am a campy convert!

Shimano Dura Ace 7700