Campagnolo Record (10 Speed) Groupos

Record (10 Speed)

• Recordâ„¢: heart and reason Always a synonym of absolute excellence, the Recordâ„¢ groupset is the perfect balance between passion for cycling and the most advanced technology available on the market.
  • This is the first choice of those looking for the maximum performance and reliability of their equipment, whether professional or amateur. It constitutes the world benchmark in terms of lightness, as it is decisively lighter overall than any other groupset on the market.

• User Reviews (11)

Phil Gorski   Recreational Rider [Jan 02, 2010]
    Strength:

Positive, precise, quick, durable

Hoods could be a little bigger

Like several of the other reviewers, I made the mistake of locking into Shimano when I began riding almost 20 years ago. Then, as now, Shimano groups were cheaper at every level and most of the people I knew rode Shimano. Then, as now, I was on a tight budget, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

Also, like most of the other reviewers, I was never entirely satisfied with the performance of Shimano shifting either. Even with constant tinkering and adjusting it was noisy and imprecise, often skipping a cog or rattling around. This could be particularly frustrating when climbing or sprinting. There's nothing worse than having the chain jumping around during a hard, out of saddle effort.

Last summer, while in Europe, I started shopping for a new wheelset. I am a big, powerful rider, and I was tired to creaking spokes and rubbing brakepads, so I wanted something with maximal lateral siffness. I happened on a website called (rouesartisanales.com) with excellent test data on every major wheelset and found that Campy Eurus had taken first place in lateral stiffness. So I decided to make the switch to Campy and got a lightly used 2008 Record group for a good price.

I had heard people sing the praises of Campy before, but I tend not to take such talk all that seriously. If you've dropped a bunch of money on some high-zoot bike gear you want to believe that it was worth the money.

In this case though, the things people say really turn out to be true. The biggest difference is in the shifting. First, it's totally positive. You feel and hear a click for each gear you shift. You never over or under shoot the shift. If you want to shift up or down more than one cog, no problem.

Second, it's just unbelievably smooth. The difference with Shimano is especially noticeable when shifting to a smaller cog. There's no noise, no hesitation.

Third, the engineering and ergonomics make it possible -- and easy -- to shift even when the drive train is under maximum load, both front and back. There is no hesitation, no grinding, even when you are putting maximum force on the pedals.

Further, everything is totally serviceable. Using Campy's demo videos, on YouTube, I was able to relube and rebuild my levers in about an hour and a half without any great difficulty.

Last, but not least, there are the aesthetics. I don't know who is in charge of Shimano's design department, but the new Dura Ace is some of the ugliest stuff I have ever seen. I wouldn't put this crap on my bike just for aesthetic reasons. And it is technologically backward. Where Campy has put carbon and ti everywhere possible,I the Shimano stuff is still mostly made of aluminum.

Bottom line: if you can afford it, get the Campy.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, 8, 9, 10.
    jhamlin38   Recreational Rider [Aug 04, 2009]
    Strength:

Silent, positive drivetrain, stiff cranks. Superbe bearings. Fantastic breaking. perfect threads during installation. great ergonomics. Easy to adjust perfectly, and keep that way. Value is wonderful despite higher price.

new 11 speed will make this 10 speed obsolete! None!

I've been road cycling consistnatly since 1987.
    The ergonomics and feel of the product is impressive even before you start assembling the bike. The shifting is very easy to dial in, and it runs perfectly quiet.
    the shifting performance is what I like. A heavy click/clunk makes sure the chain gets to the right cog immediately. The crankset with ultratorque bb is simply the best. WAY better than the GXP bb from truvativ/sram.
    The brake pads align perfectly, with fully rotational adjustment. The braking is perfect. Strong and confidence inspiring, that allows you to seek the limits of traction and back off before you wipe out.
    After about 300 miles, I installed I-Link cables, instead of the standard Campy cables, and it enhanced the performance even further.
    I've ridden Dura-ace, ultegra, 10-9 and 8 speed groups.
    Gone are the days of strange ticking and creaking from unknown places. It makes a silent, perfect riding experience. Well worth the extra money.
    Campagnolo record is a timeless classic, if there ever was one.

Similar Products Used: Dura-ace 10-9-8, Chorus 10-9, Ultegra 10-9, Athena, Victory, and Nuovo Record
    majorbike   Recreational Rider [May 23, 2009]
    Strength:

Durable, reliability and you can repair it.

Price.

I could not be happier. After 6 years and over 13k, it still performs like the day I installed it. The quality and precision of Campagnolo can’t be beat. Yes it’s expensive, but you get what you pay for. You buy the best because you expect durability and performance and Campy delivers.
    This is my third frame my Record group has been on. You always find a reason to replace something that did not live up to your expectation. Not so with my Campy Record. Secretly I wish it would wear out so I could have a reason to tell the wife why I need to replace it with the new Record 11.
    I finally made the switch from DA after spending too much of my precious riding time making adjustments. I was tired of the rubbing FD and sticking shifter. With Campy you never hear about a crank that won’t stay tightened or a FD that has issues, just rock solid performance. The only parts I have replaced were the brake hoods that were worn smooth and the brake pads. If you want to save a few $$$ go with Chorus. You only sacrifice a few grams and the carbon bling.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, Dura Ace
    nenad   Recreational Rider [Nov 20, 2008]
    Strength:

Shifting - spot on, always.
    Adjusting - set it and forget it.
    Rebuildability - the biggest value, for me, lies here, especially now when ergo parts (especially the ones that wear out) are widely available.

Initial cost of the group, but as the years go by you realize what you have paid for. Cost of long term usage is minimal

After 5 years of use and 20k (km) on this group what can I say...The original cassette is still good (cog 21 is showing signs of age) and the right lever, which was involved in two major crashes, finally needs some parts replaced. Everything else is perfect, including cables and casings which are original (read 5 years old). The replacement parts for the lever will set me back $20 (oh, the humanity).

Similar Products Used: Shimano 105 8 speed.
    69chevelle70   Recreational Rider [Oct 05, 2008]
    Strength:

Precision Shifting.

Still on the pricey side but, it was worth every penny.

WOW. I was quite happy with my Dura-Ace set-up until I rode a friends bike with Campy. It was so much smoother and quieter that I decided when my components were worn to switch. With Record prices dropping I picked up a complete set including skeleton brakes. Every thing is smoother, quieter, and, more precise.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, Dura-Ace
    DrSmile   Recreational Rider [Aug 06, 2008]
    Strength:

Engineering, Finish, Performance, Aesthetics

Cost, turning into the person you used to be jealous of

I've ridden Shimano for 15 years and then some SRAM, and it was only after a few brifters and derailleurs failed on me and I started making significantly more than minimum wage that I decided to give Campy a shot.

You can't really be told how much better it is. You have to see, install, and ride it to appreciate the VAST improvement Record is to Red or Dura-Ace. The engineering is better. The machining is more precise. The finish is smoother. The shifting is more definitive. The look is more professional.

If you have an engineering background, the other bottom bracket / bearing designs alone seem amateurish compared to the elegance of Campy cups; it's simply the way it should have been done from the very beginning and if you only consider this feature alone you already wouldn't consider any other groupo.

The shifters are beautiful, the brakes work great, the cranks feel so fantastically solid yet light, the shifts are effortless and precise. I could go on and on... Spend the extra $400, it's worth it in the long run. And yes you'll become a snob, but really, you KNOW you really just always wanted to be that guy riding Campy!

Similar Products Used: Dura-ace, Force/Red
    alistairlove   Recreational Rider [Jul 17, 2008]
    Strength:

Shifting, comfortable hoods, weight

Price (although i got mine 33% off - could be cheaper at the moment as the new 11 speed version is coming out)

This review is for the red 'limited edition' pro version. This groupset is outstanding, the shifting is extremely crisp and the braking responsive. Hoods are much more comfortable than Dura-Ace is also lighter and looks amazing.

Similar Products Used: Dura-Ace
    Umbaerto Carchia   Recreational Rider [Jun 24, 2008]
    Strength:

Lightweight, precision, quality, smoothness, race bred performance.

This groupset is a dream! Yes, it is expensive, but in my opinion, it's worth the price, once you experience the quality, precision, and performance, you'll come to understand why so many of the pros use it. If you are in the market for the ultimate groupset, don't waste your time and money on anything other than the Record.

Similar Products Used: Campagnolo Mirage & Veloce, Shimano Ultegra
    Kerouac   Recreational Rider [Apr 21, 2008]
    Strength:

The Benchmark, The Paradigm of bicycle components

Initial purchase price. snob appeal associated with the gear. Just shut up and ride it.

Well, it it what it is. No big secrets here. I have over the last three years ridden on Shimano Dura Ace 10spd equipped bicycles, recently owned and ridden SRAM Force then a RED set up that worked really well, but just did not last very long.
    Then I had my bike rebuilt with Campy Record.
    All the rumors about it being the very best are true.
    It really is, Some how I was not surprised. All of us know and have heard about Campy gear and it's reputation. Expensive, and blah, blah, blah. It is just a matter of getting what you pay for. The fit, finish and function of the equipment is simply the very best. You have to break it in, instead of breaking it down as was my disappointing experience with SRAM FORCE and later RED. Don't get me wrong the SRAM stuff is great, love the double tap, so is Shimano Dura Ace which I have great respect for. In fact I used their DA cassettes and chains on the SRAM set ups because it works a lot better. Smoother, quicker than SRAM.
    But bottom line is simply, the Campy Record works and feels in a league of it's own better. Give it a try, I think you will agree.
    All of them make reasonable product, but if you have a frame you really enjoy, and really just love to ride, for yourself and the bliss it brings to your life.
    Get yourself a Campagnolo Record Gruppo. Don't look back, It will last you probably your lifetime. And it works so smoothly and feels just right every time, everyday without fail.
    I wish I had done this earlier and saved myself some time and aggravation. I guess I was initially afraid to pull the trigger on the price of membership to the club. I guess that's it, membership. Always perceived as the best and you have to pay or the privilege. Next time you have to replace a part on the bike, think about the money you keep laying down to keep it working properly. You do not see 5-6 year old Shimano running around and you won't for sure see SRAM after a few years of use. But you do see old Campy and can get replacement parts for each component. I personally am very happy to be riding finally, after using all the possible alternatives, the right stuff.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura Ace, SRAM Force, SRAM RED
    Kerouac   Recreational Rider [Apr 21, 2008]
    Strength:

The Benchmark, The Paradigm of bicycle components

Then I had my bike rebuilt with Campy Record.
    All the rumors about it being the very best are true.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura Ace, SRAM Force, SRAM RED