Campagnolo Super Record 11 Speed Groupos

Super Record 11 Speed

Campagnolo Super Record 11 Speed Group 2009: 8 piece Kit - Eagerly awaited in the cycling world, Campagnolo has announced the 2009 Super Record. An extra cog, narrower chain widths and tighter chainring and cog spacing specifies Campagnolo's new 11-speed.

Tim   Recreational Rider [Sep 15, 2013]
Strength:

It looks pretty, very light.
Crack set is really pretty and incredibly stiff. The outer bearings really allow for a more ergonomic alignment of the legs and feet. almost a 100% power transfer. So light that one would think they are going to break. No, they don't even flex. Very impressive.

Too expensive for its functionality.
Wearable components are too expensive to replace
shifting is not a click, like shimano.
Requires a lot of adjustment.
Not recommended for inner cable handle bars.

Not a set it and forget it type of system. Shimano Ultegra beats this set, hands down. DuraAce, leaves it in the dust.
I chose Campy, because of the reviews and because the bike I have is also Italian. The reviews are skewed, perhaps because others have not used Shimano products, or to avoid the embarrassment of having paid so much for so little.
It's a beautiful looking set, and very, very light. The issues I have is that the shifting is not precise and I have taken it to several master mechanics. The shifting is too mechanical, one has to truly swipe the shifter to actuate the shifting. Compare that to Shimano, which actuates with a click.
The brakes have no lever adjustment to be able to release the wheel quickly. one has to unscrew the adjuster and even then, the release of the wheel is forced.
The BB came lose and did the crank arm. Apply the upper limit (or more) of the torque range.
Dip the chain in a grease remover (the grease it comes with is very tacky and sticky) then oil with a very light oil. Else, after miles or riding there will be grim cake everywhere in the drive parts. Trust me, it is bad.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, Dura ace
V man   Road Racer [Jan 14, 2012]
Strength:

Light, pretty, great shifting, solid

Poor sprint shift, no quick release chain link, compatibility, less stiff crank than 7900? (Really not sure on this one)

I am going to attempt to be completely fair here. I love my super record groupset, it shift really well and looks beautiful - it is of course very light as well. However, it has its draw backs as a road racer. The first one is that the thumb shift is not good when springing out of the saddle - mainly because it is very difficult to shift just one gear. This is pretty sold as a campy plus point (the multi-shift) but it can cost you dearly at the end of a race if you go from the 14 to the 12 rather than the 13 (for example). I have big hands if people are interested (not an advert for lonely women, merely an ergonomic point). The groupo also suffers from not having a quick link in the chain - very difficult to clean. Other than these points, it is wonderful.

Similar Products Used: DA 7900, Ultegra, Campy centaur, Veloce, 105, force, red
Bobby   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2011]
Strength:

Braking smoothness, rarely a glitch

cost of course

I've ridden this now for several thousand miles in just 3 months, yeah crazy, including serious mountains, went with the 12-29. Incredibly smooth, also have DA on another bike with Ultegra brakes. These blow the brakes away. Amazingly responsive

Similar Products Used: DA/Ultegra with Cannondale Six carbon
Neilmac   Recreational Rider [Sep 28, 2010]
Strength:

Esthetically beautiful. Light. Otherwise flawlessly functional.

No gruppo this expensive should have any glitches at all.

From the moment it was installed, there were glitches, particularly on the middle gears. Derailleur would not advance on first shift, then advance two gears on second shift. A little basic reading of internet sites will turn up others with the same issue.
Bicycle Pro Shop, however, is a superb store, with an excellent team of sales staff and mechanics, and they were determined to fix the glitch. They tried, and tried, and tried. They changed cables. They adjusted. They readjusted. They installed a kit put out by Campy to remedy the issue. Nothing worked. Finally, they swapped out the 2009 rear derailleur for a 2010. The gear-skipping persisted. So, they changed the front and rear derailleurs, and both brake/shifters, and the chain and the rear cassette, all at once. By that time, I'd given up on Super Record. They installed 2010 Record 11 instead, in the hope of curing the glitch once and for all.
We shall see. I Just had it done.
But I have learned the lesson about becoming an early adaptor. Don't. Wait a few generations.
I've been a lifelong Campy fan, ever since I worked in a bike shop in my teens. But this left me wishing I'd opted for the sterile, but reportedly flawless, Dura-Ace experience.

Similar Products Used: 2009 Chorus/Record 9-speed mixture, plus earlier generations of Record going back to the Seventies.
David Rosenbaum   Recreational Rider [Aug 27, 2009]
Strength:

Beuty, style, smooth, quiet, comfort.

Shifting is finicky, annoying "knock" in the BB. Poor warranty support from CampyUSA.

My first impressions with Super Record 11 were that of pure heaven. This groupset is so very smooth and quiet. The hoods are very comfortable and an improvement on Record 10. I am 6'3'', 200# and after riding this groupset for a couple of months I started having annoying shifting problems (very finicky) and a creak/pop coming out of the BB. I worked with my local shop for months to isolate/fix the problem and we finally solved the BB issue by installing new cups. The shifting issue has not improved and despite numerous phone calls with Campy USA, the problem remains. I purchased this groupset in 12/08 and I wonder if there was a "first generation" problem with the one I have. It shifts not nearly as good as the record 10. Nobody else I know, or my LBS takes care of has had the same problem? It breaks my heart to think about going away from Campy, but my experience with this groupset has been disappointing and the warranty service from CampyUSA deplorable. Hopefully the kinks have been worked out of the system now that it has been out there for almost 1 year?

Similar Products Used: Campy record 10
scrooks   Road Racer [Aug 26, 2009]
Strength:

sub 2000g!!! Super smooth and quiet.
Great hood Ergonomics. Durability of raw materials used. Longevity. Parts replacable for almost everything.

Must pay for quality $$$$ Prices are beginning to drop however.

I've trained and raced on a Record Carbon 10s group for the past year and was very reluctant to make the switch given it's excellent quality and performance. In my opinion the new Super Record 11sp has improved it's standing in every way. From the ergo's of the new hoods to the new chainring design, this group has some major improvements that can be felt out on the road. The shifting is much quicker and the drivetrain runs unbelievably smoooth and quiet. No doubt the use of ceramic bearings in the pulleys and crankset are to credit.

Similar Products Used: Record Carbon 10sp
kevin32   Road Racer [Jun 02, 2009]
Strength:

Performance, weight and looks. Hoping full ceramic setup increases the life of the compenents as advertized...we'll see. No real deficiences to speak of. I can no longer say my performance stinks because of my bike.

Price, but it seems even Dura-Ace 7900 is getting expense these days.

I've been riding Campy Record gruppos for the last three years. The performance and look are excellent, but I always felt the hoods were way to small given my hands run on the large side. It was the one area that I felt Dura-Ace and SRAM did a better job.

Well, with the new hoods, my last complaint has been erased. The new shape feels great and the stopping power of the levers is excellent. I'm running them on a FSA K-Wing compact bar and riding in the drops is now far more comfortable. Shifting is more precise and faster. The ceramic bearings in the cranks are definitely smoother, as I still have a bike with the 2008 ultra-torque setup, so my comparisons are fairly easy to make. I got the 12-27 cassette, which almost makes having my other bike, which has compact cranks, not necessary. I would feel comfortable taking this ride on all but the toughest hills. I believe you can also get a 12-29 as well.

Overall, if you can get a decent price, the Super Record setup is definite an improvement over the pre-2009 lineup. Once I get the cash, I will be converting my old Record setup to the new lineup as well. I would say it's the best gruppo out there currently, but as always, I'm sure SRAM probably has something up it's sleeve to close the gap. Dura-Ace, while a great gruppo as well, has still shifts a bit poorly, but that's just my opinion. For the record, until Super Record, I felt Campy's shifting was a bit weak as well.

Similar Products Used: Dura-Ace 7800, Campy Record (2008)
Pat70   Road Racer [Apr 17, 2009]
Strength:

Comfort. Precision. Weight. Looks. Reliability.

None - as long as you shop around and get a good price.
Remember also that it will last you a lot longer than Shimano so factor that in if making a decision based on price.

Wow. What a fantastic groupset. The first thing that is noticed is the comfort when on the hoods. It's actually even more comfortable without gloves on.
Shifting is perfect: smooth, reliable even when changing while standing on the pedals. And of course there is the ability to change up to four gears in either direction with a single movement.
Brakes are superb and precise.
Weight is great - nearly 200g less that '09 Dura Ace.
The 11th gear - well, obviously it doesn't make much difference but it is nice to have the 17 in there.

Similar Products Used: Campy Record, Chorus.
Shimano Dura Ace, Ultegra
Jbartmc   Recreational Rider [Mar 18, 2009]
Strength:

Easy, quick and reliable shifting. Strong brakes. It functions as promised.

Cost

I never rode Campy until this group arrived on my Colnago EP. I used Shimano Dura Ace 7800 before the new bike arrived in November 2008, and live in what is a Shimano town. I am incredibly pleased with this group--the shifting it precise and quick. I have read that the DA brakes are better, but I cannot say I have found that it to be true. I have found that what Campy devotees claimed to be its best qualities are in fact true. This group is precise, quick and reliable.

The new ergo levers are incredibly comfortable. More so than any others I have used. This was the one aspect of advance reviews that proved to be 100% true.

I am not a racer, but ride 4-5 days a week for at least 125 miles per week. So far I have 1000 miles on the group.