Campagnolo Veloce Groupos

Veloce

pricetony   Recreational Rider [Oct 15, 2009]
Strength:

Fit, finish, speed of set up, reliability.

Multiple shifts gone missing!

I had Veloce on the 1989 GT Edge - strong, durable, functional stuff. The 2008 setup looked sooo much better - prices quoted are in UK £ (not dollars!). The Ultra Torque crankset is the business - quick and easy to set up, and really WORKS - over and over.

Skeleton brakes are strong and great looking. Shifting is ultra reliable, and 10 speeds better than the 9 speed set up previously. I do miss the multiple shift ability of earlier though.

It isn't as up market as the bike (An opera Giorgione) - but is at least as good as an up market gruppo would have been when the frame was new 5 years ago.

I'm considering whether every review is positive because we stand by the decision we made in buying stuff - or because, despite wanting the kudos of Record and lots of carbon fibre - this cost a fraction of the price and works perfectly. Go fast enough, noboday can tell. Record is for car park bragging, or lottery winners, Veloce does it in the real world for me.

Similar Products Used: 1989 Veloce, Shimano 105.
sscooterguy   Recreational Rider [Mar 29, 2009]
Strength:

Quick, smooth and precise shifting
Never missed a gear
Takes only a few minutes to get used to
Easy for beginners because of the separation of thumb and paddle shifting. (I have gotten 2 friends into cycling on this bike).

Plastic paddle shifter
Campy pricing usually higher in comparison to Shimano/Sram compatible parts (though you get what you pay for, usually)

This is my first venture into Campy. I've ridden Shimano 105, upgraded to SRAM force, and now I built up my extra frame with Veloce. I can't speak to the installation, as I had my LBS do the build, and they are very experienced with campy.
The ride is great. Very smooth and exacting. I think SRAM force is more mechanical feeling, and Shimano has a smooth, but mushy feel in comparison. Over all, louder than SRAM force, but not annoying, just a high pitched whir.
Thumb shifts are great, the shift happens when you let go, not when you push down. They are crisp. Paddle shifts are smooth. Short throw for one gear, deeper throw for up to 3 gears at a time.
The only complaint is the paddle shifter itself is plastic. If it were alloy, harder plastic, or carbon, the shifts could be more precise and exact. However, this is the low end model line, so I guess for the price its still good.
Brakes are good, stronger than 105, but not as responsive as SRAM. I think SRAM has the strongest brakes I've ever ridden. The Veloce skeleton brakes are plenty strong, but require a deeper pull and therefore not as responsive as SRAM in my opinion.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 105
SRAM Force
johnnyo12   Road Racer [Feb 13, 2009]
Strength:

smoooooooooth, fits my hands, thumb shifts

none so far.

this group set came on my 08 narone.
So far I love it. Shifts smooth, fairly quiet and my LBS said they can rebuild these anytime- looks like a good investment for the long haul. And, it's nice to have italian group on an italian bike....

Similar Products Used: 105's- but they aren't similar
mcgroup53   Road Racer [Aug 01, 2008]
Strength:

Telepathically quick shifts, utterly precision and virtually silent. There's just a feel to it that's unlike any componentry I've ever ridden before. Amazing brake modulation, too.

Maybe a little heavy, and the hoods aren't as comfy as the SRAM hoods. Takes a little time to get used to the thumb lever, which also requires some new skills to reach while riding from some positions.

I've been riding and racing since 197 and have always been a reverse Campy snob - it can't be THAT Good! Well, this grouppo came on my new Bianchi and it blows everything else I've ever ridden, including Dura-Ace and SRAM Force, away. If this is Campy's "entry level" racing group, I can't wait to try Chorus or Record!

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Sun Tour, Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace, SRAM Force
nagatahawk   Recreational Rider [Jun 25, 2007]
Strength:

The Crankset increasing pedaling effeciencey 30 percent. I can climb much faster than with the 105, and can sustain a 14 mph climb, until my out of shape legs give out.

the loud freewheel is actually a asset, whenever I pass, I free wheel and the all can hear me coming. its better than yelling on your left, or a very unmanly bell. lol. just kidding.

Bought my De Barnardi with Shimao 105.
the 105 brakes were weak, replace those with Campy record. the Recently replace everything else with Campy Veloce and Kamshin Campy Wheel sets.
Chris at Summit Cycles, in Westchester,CA
pro rated my 105 as a trade for the Veloce Crankset, shifters, cables, front and rear delrailer. including labor $237. the Kamshin Wheels were separate.

The Cranks are encredible, the bike is faster all around, acceleration, the wheels helped a little, but the cranks with the interlock bottom bracket/crank assemby, what a differnce,

the shifter are more comfortable when grasping them. shifts are tighter. I love the thumb shifter for up shifts. the down shift paddle behind the brake lever is way better than shimano. The Shimano brake lever acts at the down shifter and has a tendency to move and brake when shifter.

I now have 10 speed over the 9 speed Shimano.

The Veloce shifts way better than any of muy old Record derailers.

Similar Products Used: shimano 105,
record, old school.
sxevegan   Road Racer [Jan 11, 2007]
Strength:

-Priced in between 105 and ultegra yet out performs both IMO. Value definately a 5
-Hidden cables look so much better than shimano
-Very comfortable
-Everything works the way it's supposed to
-Comes with most of the cool stuff that the higher lines do, just a little heavier or less blingy.

Only one i can think of, but it's a big one. Campy calls it the "escape mechanism." Unlike previous years, you can't shift down multiple sprockets in the rear with one push of the lever. You can go up to or 3, but not down. Multiple shifts is one of the reasons i went with campy and I was disapointed when i first tried it out and wasn't allowed to. What's more annoying is that campy gives this sucky "escape mechanism" such a cool name. It's like they are marketing it as a good thing when IMO it's not. I gave it an overall 4 because of this

I recently bought a bike equipped with 2007 Campy Veloce from an LBS. I was torn between veloce and centaur but decided that the money I saved on the groupo would be better spent on a decent wheelset.

The group looks great! I chose the black components. They look almost as good as the centaur IMO. The bike shifts real smooth. Everything is quiet and works the way it should.

The skeleton brakes are sweet. They are designed so that the rear won't lock up, but the brakes will stop you QUICK!

Comes with the new style "ultra torque" crankset.

Similar Products Used: 105, ultegra
dnagray   Recreational Rider [Sep 07, 2006]
Strength:

Unbelievable build quality.

Costs more than Shimano but you get what you pay for.

When I was considering a new Bianchi 928, I decided to give the Veloce a try as this bike comes with both Ultegra and Veloce. I am absolutely amazed that more people in the U.S. aren't riding Campy. I made it around the block one time and I knew that I was done with Shimano. To be fair, I've never ridden a Dura-Ace equipped bike, but folks, the difference between Campy's middle of the road Veloce and Ultegra is almost hard to describe. The Campy is much crisper and solid feeling that my Ultegra ever was, even when new. If you have large hands the Ergo shifters may not fit your hands so well, but otherwise Campy is worth the extra money. Campy's slogan should be "one try and you'll know why".

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, 105
foxzulu   Road Racer [Apr 28, 2006]
Strength:

All of the above

Forget Shimano. This is so much more responsive, direct, crisp, effortless, quiet (except for the cool "click" when you've selected the new gear...)
Besides it looks cleaner. And Campy is cool.
Any questions?!

Similar Products Used: shimano 105, ultegra
Immer fahren   Road Racer [Jan 22, 2005]
Strength:

Great value for money, easy shifting,comfortable shifters. Looks great....That's about it I think...

NONE! The so-called weakness that you have to shift your lever very far to get it on your 53 I think is crap. Even if you are racing,you don't need to shift to your 53 with lightning speeds,the only thing that you should shift fast with is your back cassette,not your front. Also you can get it to your 53 by a series of small clicks with your shifter....

I've had this bike for almoast a month and it's great! It shifts like butter,precise an quick. The €1000 I paid is including the rest of my bike of course...

Similar Products Used: Merckx with old record Moser with old campa
king4wd   Recreational Rider [May 30, 2004]
Strength:

Strong, durable and stylish.

A bit heavy.

Out of the box, I was greeted with nice Italian styling and unbelievably smooth bearings. Some areas (bottom bracket and hubs) are heavier than the competition. However, it's clear this group is designed for strength and durability. It rides very well. I'm very impressed with how easy it was to fine tune everything. Shifting was quite stiff at first, then I found I had the chain about two links short. That eased up shifting effort considerably. I love this group! The hoods are beefy which adds to a sure grip and a comfortable perch. The bottom bracket, albeit heavy, is incredibly smooth. The slickest, smoothest bottom bracket I've ever used. Some complain about how loud the hubs are, but they're quieter than my mountainbikes' hubs (nuke proof and machine tech) so I don't find any problems there. Overall, I couldn't be happier.