Shimano 105 5600 Groupos

Shimano 105 5600 Groupos

• The new Shimano 105 10-speed group is light & efficient.
  • Designed from the same engineering concepts as Dura-Ace and Ultegra, the new Shimano 105 maintains a unique identity while still giving the user an enhanced feel and sleek design that is backed with Shimano's proven performance.

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 21, 2011]
    Aurorabucky

Strength:

Ergonomics, fit and finish/design, overall functionality, 10 speeds.

Weight, Premium price

First a quick word on many of the below reviews: Other than the left shifter problem (which has since been corrected) many of the issues that reviews on here complain about such as slower shifting with time, throwing chains, etc really come more down to cables and calibration than a group set issue. Poor limiting on derailleur travel will make Dura-Ace throw your chain. SRAM Red will change gears like a cow when the cable is stretched and things are off target.

In my case, I used this set for 6 months and 1500 miles on a Specialized Secteur Elite (now same group on a Roubaix) and had no problems. I have large hands and the 105 hoods/levers simply fit me better than SRAM, and I find I can get good leverage with them on top or in the drops. Shifting (when well calibrated) happens intuitively and lets you get down to the business of riding. Personally I found no problems shifting under load but then again I don't put out 500W after a crit jump like some reviewers may. I can however shift freely on steep hills while out of the saddle, and the ease with which I could do this has always been taken as a strength. My take is that 105 is a reliable, maintainable, durable group for recreational/endurance road and beginner racing. My intent is as components wear out, I may replace them gradually with Ultegra or Dura Ace. I think it may be a long time though before that happens, and that's ok. :)

SRAM Apex, Shimano Acera

[Mar 09, 2011]
    sean_f

Strength:

- Solid feel
    - Pricing
    - Ergonomics (feel great to me, but I know not all will like the feel)
    - Reliability (I've not had the same issues some of the reviewers previously have which is odd because my bike is of early-2008 vintage)

Not really suited to the 'weight-weenie' die-hard racer, go for DA/Red/Record if you are.

I like this set immensely. I feel it is a solid group for its price. I've ridden a bike with an Ultegra setup and while I noticed a (slight) difference, it was not significant enough for me to be left envious with 'just' my 105 setup.

For a REC-RIDER like myself (I do 100-150km/week, purely for fun/fitness), this group is fantastic. I must stress, I haven't raced with this group, nor do I intend to. I ride for enjoyment and want something that is, above all else, reliable and solid without breaking the bank. For this, the 105 group fits the bill perfectly. Oh, I used to commute and would do 200-350km/week commuting - 105 group perfect for this too; especially compared to Sora/Tiagra.

I did swap my cassette from the stock 12-25 for a 12-27 (I'm not great with hills and this helped a little). Required adjustment of the RD to avoid rubbing on the 27T cog, but nothing significant.

I'd recommend this group to anyone contemplating it - if the circumstances were right (see my comments above). I must admit though, I'm interested in trying SRAM...purely because I haven't yet, but not so much Campy and I don't know why???

Ultegra; Tiagra on an Allez - lack of top-end 12T definitely noticeable

[Oct 23, 2010]
    billwcc

Strength:

Works very well when properly tuned.

Does not shift instantly - there is a "click.. thunk". Must take it easy when shifting uphill.

I have about 1500 miles on my bike, which has 105s. Shimano's online documentation for the 105 tells exactly how to set this group up. If those procedures are followed, the 105s work well for recreational riding. They seem not to appreciate being shifted under load, but that's ok with me, as I am not a competitive rider.

None.

[Sep 10, 2010]
    qwer

Strength:

Price/value/function - only 400 grams heavier than DuraAce at less than half the price.

Have the 105 groupo on tree bikes - BMC SSX (compact), Cannondale CAAD9 (triple) and Synapse Flat Bar (triple), no problems whatsoever on circa 12000 miles (all tree bikes combined).

ABSOLUTELY no clue what the other reviewers below are talking about. What is this, campy kindergarden goes shimano bashing? Get a life. Today, in the 21th century, THERE ARE NO BAD GROUPOS anymore, only rider preferences.

If you guys hate shimano, it's OK. Buy Campy, SRAM or whatever, but don't write retarded moron reviews like the ones below.

Ultegra, Veloce

[Mar 26, 2010]
    kirand

Strength:

Shifts gears (as long as it does)

Poor quality/ durability, does not perform on the level of Campy or SRAM

They came with the Cannondale, whitch I bought my girlfriend for her first race. During the second race on some rough roads the break levers fell apart. What more do you need on a racing day?
    We changed to Sram Rival and never had any issues any more.

Campagnolo Chorus, SRAM red, SRAM Rival

[Dec 28, 2009]
    Jay222

Strength:

smooth shifting when it works right

shift levers

I have put approx. 3000 miles on this group set and at 2500 miles front derail. shifter with sometimes freeze up. This happened 2 to 3 times now a I am going to have to replace it. Other than this no issues. I am going to go back to campy components on my next bike.

Campy centaur and athena

[Jul 20, 2009]
    nathan_woodstock

Strength:

cheap works with ten speed, is a nicer badge than tiagra

left shifter

pretty much the same as tiagra but works with 10 speed and is almost the same price. Problem with left shifter as it's meant for both compacts and triples the racket tends to die LBS says its a common prob, got a cash back under warranty and am upgrading to utraga STI's already have a utraga rear derailleur

sodra, tiagra

[Jul 01, 2009]
    Rob H

Strength:

None when the shifters break !!!

Durability

AVOID !!!!

Less than 200miles and the left hand shifter broke. My LBS has 4 other bikes there with the same problem waiting for parts.

Now upgraded to Ultegra SL, durability is reported to be a lot better and instantly noticeable improvement in performance.

[Jan 30, 2009]
    Pete600

Strength:

Been using 105 for 12 years and still good. Just stared to get back in to riding doing about 20-30 miles a day.
    Never had any problems still like new changes well.
    Keep getting the serviced and will last along time

none so far

B

105s

[Aug 10, 2008]
    Noods

Strength:

Lightweight
    Very Cheap comparared to competition
    Easy to get spares for

Shifter
    pain to put the chain back on the rings
    Doesn't last very long compared to campag

I have a Shimano 105 groupset on my commuting bike. I do about 100-120 miles/week on this. Compared to my other bike with Campag, this product has been very unreliable, throws the chain a lot and is a pain to get back on the rings!! The Campag (chorus) has been used for over 2 years with no significant problems. The shifting mechanism for the rear derailleur is not reliable. When I change this I will definitely switch to the Campag equivalent (Veloce).

Campag Chorus