Shimano 105 Groupos

The Shimano 5500 Component Series.

Charles Nadal   [Aug 27, 2014]
Strength:

Cost and dependable

I really have NO problems with this group, , I have over 9000 yes thousand miles on it and ZERO problems... only thing I see is the comfort of the shifters, My son has the new 105 and NOW I see a deficiency , but that's not the shifters fault.

Been riding this group on my TCR since 2003, I love it, I don't have ANY of the problems associated with noise or chatter, I do all my own bike tuning and its quiet and reliable, it shifts smooth and crisp. I believe it shifts almost as smooth as my buddied DA setup. I have ridden the crap out of this group. and its all great, although I did replace the crank set with a FSA carbon setup but that was only because I needed a shorter crank arm .... GREAT GROUP

grayFox   [Feb 07, 2013]
Strength:

Comfortable hoods, solid crank, decent brakes

Noisy rear dérailler, front dérailler difficult to adjust, brakes are little soft, heaviest out of all competitive groupos out there.

Had 5600-105 on my Tarmac Comp and my Roubaix, my experience are based on two 105 sets I used at the same time. Hoods are very comfortable, good hand position options. Fairly easy to reach (brake, up and down shift) from the drops. Didn't notice any flex on the crank. The crank and the shifters were my favorite pieces from this group. Had occasional miss-shift. Noisy RD towards bigger cogs. FD had alot of rub on high/low gear extremes due to narrow cage body which I solved by swapping it out with SRAM FD which also made all gears usable without the rattle. Brakes are soft, but modulate pretty well. Brakes felt reliable and had alot of feedback, but you have to get on them to brake hard. Overall, unless I am getting a deal on the frame to offset this groupo performance I would not buy them again.

David   [Jun 26, 2012]
Strength:

Nice shifting bike. I found my 105 components to be quiet unlike some other reviewers

I only got 1500 miles at the most out of the rear cassette and chain. This is my first road bike. I shopped for the 105's because I was told they were the best of the entry level gears and all I could afford. I had to replace them with an Ultegra drive chain but my confidence in Shimano is way down. We'll see.

Overall I would look to better Shimano gear sets or a different manufacturer altogether.

genekim920   Recreational Rider [Aug 16, 2011]
Strength:

Shifts ok and quick and great price point.

Accelerated wear for 1000 miles is not greatest. It's about the same wear as Sora and 2300.

The 5700'series is ok. The cassette and chain is subject to accelerated wear in the first 1000 miles. I've got a vintage road bike with the original suntour chain and cassette clocking in at 145,000 miles so to compare with Shimano, I'm not too impressed with Shimano's durability.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra, Sora, 2300, Suntour
Mike Hanly   Commuter [Apr 06, 2010]
Strength:

easy to pedal, very stable (especially for a non-racer like myself)

Noisy rear derailleur

Very easy to use, but the Shimano 105 groupset is pretty noisy; the chain chatter is pretty loud, especially in all cogs on the large chainring. I've taken it in several times already, but the shop hasn't been able to remedy the problem. I just hope I don't experience the same problems the other reviewers have had.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore
Nutmeg Ryder   Recreational Rider [Apr 02, 2010]
Strength:

Comfortable bike so far

Shimano 105 shifter

Bad experience so far. While on a ride, I lost the ability to shift into high gear. Shimano 105 front shifter is graciously being replaced by the nice fellows at Amity Bikes, however, this is not something you expect to be dealing with on a new bike. Hopefully this is a one time thing... Nice weather has arrived in CT, and I'm without my bike :(

alan gardner   Recreational Rider [Mar 28, 2010]

see abve

Shimano 105--has jumped off and locked up on me several times-most recently today (March 28 2010) broke off at the deraileur---lodged in the spokes and cracked a fiberglass frame. Shimano will hear from.

mark e   Road Racer [Feb 04, 2010]

see above

so, my experience with 105 has been terrible. it came on my 2010 cannondale caad9 5, and has been back to the shop six times. the problem still hasn't been determined, but basically the shifting is terrible. it skips gears, ghost shifts, or gets stuck between cogs. if you are in the market for a new bike, i would avoid anything with 105 on it. i just purchased the SRAM rival upgrade kit and can not wait to be rid of the headaches.

Similar Products Used: campagnolo chorus//veloce.
mrod_15   Recreational Rider [Jan 21, 2010]
Strength:

Entire bike

Shimano 105 groupo

The CAAD9 5 is great but I am already experiencing problems with my shaman 105 components.