Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 Di2 Groupos

Dura-Ace 7900 Di2

Shimano's Dura-Ace Di2, a technologically advanced, electronic shifting option for the all new 7900 series Dura-Ace. Comprised of Dual Control type shift / brake levers, front derailleur, rear derailleur, and a battery pack, the new Dura-Ace Di2 7970 components provide precision electronic performance and integrate seamlessly with components from the 7900 series Dura-Ace group while adding only 68 grams to the entire group.
Electrically actuated shifting significantly eliminates issues associated with cable friction and contamination because the derailleurs respond to electrical impulses that are delivered in fractions of a second. The shifters are now merely switches which also allows for creative placement of optionalremote shifters while also reducing the weight and profile of the main shift units. Derailleur movement is precisely controlled through computer automated movement and servo motors creating perfectly synchronized and calibrated shifts every time.

COrider10   Recreational Rider [Dec 21, 2012]
Strength:

Reputation and reviews.

Would be nice if it worked!

I took out a Fuji Altamira with the Ultegra electronic shifters for a test ride. I was impressed and was then able to find a different Fuji with the full Dura-Ace Di2 set nicely priced. It worked when it left the shop, but after a week's bad weather, it would not power or charge when I tried my very first ride. Despite gentle handling, the battery holder fell off the bike frame into my hand.
Simply horrible quality for a premium priced component. Now we'll see if Shimano stands behind its product.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra Di2.
shavon   Recreational Rider [Feb 26, 2012]
Strength:

can shift on hoods or drops
considerable admiration when the cycling cognosenti notice...

it ain't cheap

Other reviewers have described the flawless consistent shifting, how shifts never ever fail, there's no dropping the chain, long battery life, etc.,& I second those assessments. I love the Di2 on 'sharp' rollers , where the grade instantly changes from up to down or vice versa--ie, no flattening out at the bottom or top of the roller. Then you appreciate the front shifting. It's instant, it's crisp.
Another reason I went electronic is because, w/ age, there is arthritis in my finger joints.... all the shifting on long rides caused alot of aching (especially the front shifting lever push). Now it's tap, tap, tap. Light. Easy.

Similar Products Used: ultegra; mix of SRAM Red/Campy
Russell   Road Racer [Jul 18, 2011]
Strength:

Quick - Smooth - Long Battery Life - Shifts from Two locations

Had the Di2 installed on 2011 Cervelo P3 time trial bike. This is the sweetest setup I have every used. Unlike regular aero bar shifters you can shift from the bull horns. This is very useful during training. Works extremely well during racing.

stcamp   Triathlete [Jan 01, 2011]
Strength:

Precision, dependability, battery life

Wiring harness (would like to see a wireless version) and slight weight increase

Recommended by head mechanic and fellow rider. Similiar comments regarding shifting, accuracy, and reliability kept coming up. Have used Di2 for almost 4 months and am very pleased, especially when standing up on a sprint and gearing up or down and never having to worry about a gear change. Not sure if its as fast as mechanical, yet it is more quiet. I would say shifting up from inside chain ring is easier. I also clean my bike every week, yet wanted to see how the shifts executed if I did not clean the chain & derailleurs for one month (it was tough looking at a dirty drive train), yet the shifting was as precise on a gritty drive train then as the day I bought the system.

The price paid was for shifters, both derailleurs, housing, wires, battery. No crank or brakes....and of course, install/labor.

Similar Products Used: Only mechanical with SRAM Red & Shimano DA
malikgp   Road Racer [Sep 02, 2010]
Strength:

Instantaneous Shifts
Queued Shifts
Cross-chained Shifts
Small-to-Big Ring Shifts while sprinting
Only 1hr charge-time required
1000+ miles on a single charge
Works in Rain, Heat, Clouds, Fog, etc

I was highly skeptical of the Shimano 7970 Di2 Gruppo. How could it be so much better that it would command that much of a premium over the mechanical 7900?

$3500 retail for the upgrade kit? $4800 retail for the default? Really? But I was curious after seeing some reviews. That said, I desperately needed to demo the Di2 for myself before even thinking of plunking down that kind of change.

I finally found a store that had the Di2 on the high end 2010 Specialized Tarmac Di2 and took it for a test spin.

After only a few blocks of shifting, I was 100% sold. Electronic shifting is, simply put, the present and the future.

It's far ahead of the brake/shift lever system as the brake/shift lever system was ahead of index shifting.

There is simply no comparison, but unfortunately there is no way for you to truly get a sense of what this gruppo can do until you actually try it out for yourself.

Thankfully I was able to find a storefront on eBay and buy the full 7970 gruppo for $2900 for a savings of $1800 compared to retail.

Considering you can purchase the mechanical 7900 system for $1600, the premium for the full 7970 gruppo is more than worth it.

If you have the money, buy it. Hands down.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore
Shimano Ultegra SL 6600-G 10-Speed Double
Flash Bazbo   Road Racer [Jun 25, 2010]
Strength:

Slick, reliable shifting under all conditions.
Easy adjustments.
Shifting from a variety of hand positions.

Cost -- unless you shop well.

Di2 is amazing. You've heard about the superior shifting -- under all conditions, under conditions where cable-actuated shifters have a hard time -- and they're all true. Trouble-free. Easy to adjust. Reliable. Thousands of miles on a battery charge. I haven't found any area in which Di2 isn't as good as a cable-actuated setup -- and it is clearly superior in many respects. You can shift Di2 without using any leverage at all which means shifting from a huge variety of hand positions. If you can touch the button, you can shift -- even with your little finger. I purchased the "shift kit" which includes everything but the brakes, bottom bracket, and crankset. If you shop well, Di2 can be price competitive with the higher-end Campy groups.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 6700, 7800; SRAM Rival, Force
mikael17128   Recreational Rider [May 03, 2010]

I didn't think I'd like the Di2 group as much as I did. Let me be concise: Do you know that point where you're within say 10 miles of home after a long day of suffering in the saddle, the sweat is dripping, the heart is a little tired, your head hurts from slight dehydration? I was there on my first test ride of the Di2 system. I realized when I lightly touched the button to shift into the big chainring that I would have been less than enthusiastic about the maneuver with my 7800 system. Here is where you will extract deep value for your Di2 system.

CBS   Road Racer [Apr 14, 2010]
Strength:

Effortless shifting. Easy shifting with heavy gloves. Self trimming. Power shifting in the mud. Smooth like a babies butt. The shimano wheels are great too.. the bearing are so smooth and they hold up to CX so keeping them true on the road is easy.

Price is all I can think of.

I first rode this group on a CX bike at PIR (Portland) last fall. The mud was thick and the rain came down and this bike was spot on with the shifting in spite of the glop. I rode it again at the cross Nats in Bend,OR. Snow,ice,mud,crashes, bent the derail hanger and it still shifted well! I could also still shift with ski gloves on, beautiful! I loved it so much I bought the bike.

Similar Products Used: 105,ultegra,7800,7900 mech.
C5D   Recreational Rider [Apr 03, 2010]
Strength:

*Confidence and performance. 2mm push, no lag, just immediate shifts.
*Never have to worry about cable stretch adjustment. You set it and forget it.
*Self Triming Front Derailleur.
*It's easily a group you forget about. It's strange, but all you have to concentrate on is pedalling. The mechanicals take care of the rest.
*Single plane brake pull.

* Cost. I got a deal from my LBS to swap the mechanical 7900 to Di2 7970 for just $2000...even then, that was a lot to swallow.
* You can only shift up one cog larger in the rear one at a time, instead of three with older mechanical Shimano groups. However, this is less of an issue, because new DA7900 and Ultegra6700 can only shift up two cogs with a brake lever sweep now.

I've researched Di2 for a long time, ever since the first press releases and articles. Being a little bit of a techie, Di2 was something that VERY much appealed to me; however, the price point was enough to keep me away. I had just purchased my first carbon road bike from a LBS, so it wasn't looking like I would be taking the Di2 plunge. After many months of uncomfortable riding, turns out that the LBS that gave me a good deal on my new bike, also SIZED the bike for me incorrectly. After a year of riding in discomfort, I finally got fed up with the ride (I liked the bike, not the fit), sold it, and purchased a new, PROPERLY FIT, ride with Di2 installed (yes...from a different LBS. Much happier).

The group is amazing. While shifts truely aren't the fastest (I do think that other mechanical groups can be faster in certain situations), there is no lag time from push button to shift, and shifts are always speedy, accurate, and quiet. The first few times that I shifted to a smaller cog in the rear, I had to look back to make sure that I shifted.

You also can't confuse the system at all. I tried on the a trainer when I was getting fitted, trying to confuse the system with crazy shifts on both the front and rear. No dice. This truly is the real deal.

The head mech that put my bike together told me that when he first learned about Di2, he was skeptical. Then he worked a pit for a cyclocross race of a rider that had Di2. The conditions were horrible, and they were cleaning bikes with a power washer and a brush from hoods to rear cog. Di2 never missed a shift that day. He's saving his pennies now...

Another nice (and sometimes overlooked) feature of the Di2 dual control levers is that the brake levers only pull in one direction. They don't swing inward like on mechanical shifters, because the shifting action is replaced with a button. While this is "nit-picky", I do feel a little more secure with a single plane brake pull, simialar SRAM.

I rode a bike with mechanical shifting after I got my new ride...jxl was right. Once you get bitten by the electric bug, it's hard to go back.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra on previous ride.
Shimano 105
Test rode SRAM Red.
jxl   Road Racer [Feb 14, 2010]
Strength:

Performance, performance, performance. The rear derailleur shifts like nobody's business. The front derailleur is even better in that is self-trims at the first sign of chain rub and the shifting is effortless. Furthermore, while riding with double gloved hands today operating the shifting buttons was a breeze.

Price, but only to a degree. If you consider the difference in performance between a 7800 groupo and the Di2, it's a fair value. My price was for a full groupo, not just the upgrade kit.

After reading so many positive reviews of the performance of the Di2 at this site and elsewhere, I decided to pull the trigger. Given the price, I was definitely nervous about the purchase and hoped that it was all that others claimed it to be. Today was my first ride with the Di2 and I'm totally impressed! For the last year I've ridden a DA 7800 groupo and I thought it was a drastic improvement to my previous Ultegra group. The different between the DA 7800 and the Di2 is like going from the Stone Age to the Space Age. The Di2 performs the kind of shifting you've always wanted but never received with each new component group purchase. As I read at another review, if you can't buy it don't ride it--you'll only cause yourself heartache.

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace 7800 groupo and Shimano Ultegra groupo.