Shimano Tiagra Groupos

Shimano Tiagra Groupos

The Shimano 4400 Component Series.

[May 10, 2013]
CoastRider_Oz

Strength:

10sp, cost

The brakes!!!!
No bragging rights...?

This is about the 10sp 4600 Tiagra group set.

Firstly, by all means buy this group or a bike spec'd with it, but spend the money to upgrade the brakes, if only the pads. The brakes are the Achilles heel on this group and unfortunately, IMO, that's a pretty bad place to be terrible...

This is a very solid group, and, except for the brakes and the position window on the shifters, is basically the same as the 5600 105 group. I don't think it shifts quite as smoothly as the 5600, but it's still pretty good when welll tuned.
Aesthetically, I really don't like the shifters--I don't like the shift position windows on the top of the shifters--but they work quite well nonetheless.
The derailleurs work well with a minimum of fuss and noise.
The brake calipers, as far as I can tell are the same as the 105 calipers, but have a different brake pad; where the 105 group has a shoe and pad insert, the Tiagra brakes come with a smaller (by about 15% in surface area) pad that is a "combined" unit. Upgrade this immediately.

A great group set for the price, but the brakes, I just can't stress enough, upgrade them!!!!

Shimano 105 5600 groupo

[Jan 30, 2012]
Herbert West

Strength:

This group shifts and functions just as well as any other groupset out there if properly adjusted and maintained. Hard to argue the price isn't good for a group you can ride for years.

It is a heavier groupset than most.

In a little over 2 years, I have put 35,000 miles on my Tiagra group. I race this group in the pro12 field as well. This groupset works flawlessly if it is properly maintained and adjusted. One can easily shift mid sprint with properly adjusted Tiagra. If you are having "problems" with the shifting and various noises, it is user error, not the groupset. The idea that 105 is the lowest you want to race is absolute rubbish. In terms of group weight, you get what you pay for. One can easily race Tiagra at the national level if they have the legs for it. Quit blaming the product for problems created by the user.

Dura Ace, Sram Red

[Jun 30, 2011]
Tommy

Strength:

STI shifters are the best in the business, shifts are smooth, and not obtrusive, clean looking design, being abe to break and shift at the same time, rarely fails

A little on the heavier side, Rival in comparison seems a great value, Not a great groupo to show off to others riders on a team

I've had Tiagra on my road bike for 6000 miles now, and it quite simply hasn't missed a beat. I'm sure that other group sets will do the job quicker while being lighter, but that's the beauty of Tiagra, I simply don't have to worry about it at all because it's so cheap and durable. My only wishes is that it was a 10 speed, and that it was a little lighter, especially the crank.

Shimano Deore, Sram Rival

[Nov 13, 2010]
matchmaker

Strength:

Functionality, price. Tiagra is hardly sold as a groupset in the States but online you find the Tiagra group for very interesting prices. IMO maybe the best price-quality ratio of all groups.

Only 9 speed. Hoods are quit long and narrow for those with short hands.

To begin this review with I have to say that I have a mixed 105 and Tiagra groupset. The brake caliphers and FD are 105, the crankset, RD, shifters, cassette and hubs are Tiagra.
I have been reading some negative about Tiagra but honestly, the Tiagra pieces I have work flawlessly. For above mentioned reasons, I can't judge the brake caliphers and FD, but the RD is very good. The crankset, I am almost sure uses the same chainrings as 105 and the integrated spindle design offers the stiffness you find in high end cranksets.
The shifters have the same features as other Shimano STIs, but are 9 speed. You can shift from the drops or the hoods without problem. Shifting is smooth and once set up well, does not miss a cog.

Ultegra

[Sep 07, 2010]
Clockwork John

Strength:

Price

Shifters are junk, derailleurs are sluggish and inconsistent.

Absolute rubbish. Rear shifter is sluggish and jumpy, front derailleur won't stay adjusted. Front shifter has broken on me twice in six months, leaving me stuck in the large chainring. Both times it has been covered by warranty, but it's ridiculous that I'm on my third shifter in six months. I'm also getting noise from the bottom bracket with less than 1000 miles on the bike.

Other shimano groupos

[May 06, 2010]
Charlie

Strength:

Price

For the price it is a great buy.

I have to agree with the last two reviews. I bought my Scott CR1 comp with tiagra crank and shifters and have had no problems at all. Before I bought the bike I thought I'd need to upgrade the tiagra components, but after riding I find no problems. If you are a recreational rider / amatuer, these components are perfectly fine.

Shimano Dura-Ace

[Apr 26, 2010]
Andrew

Strength:

Price, function

silly position indicators make the brifters larger than they need to be

I have the Tiagra group on a Rlaeigh Clubman. My LBS is very good about keeping everything adjusted and I've had no problems, shifts are fast and smooth. The slow shift comments I imagine are due to improper adjustment. I have noticed that under extreme torque, the shift may not happen, but perhaps that's a good thing. Spin smarter, not harder; plan your shifts and it's not an issue.

Campy,SA

[Apr 20, 2010]
commodus192

Strength:

It works...everytime!

It doesn't have the *insert year* most fashionable nameplate written on it.

I always get a chuckle out of everyone talking about upgrades. I bought a Trek 1200 back in 2002 that came with Tiagra components. I ride this bike everywhere....from races to recreational rides having clocked thousands of miles on it. I have never - ever - had any catastrophic failures or popped chains. It has always worked great.

[Apr 19, 2010]
CameronRacing

Strength:

Cheapish
Breaks calipers are not too bad for a training bike

shape of the hoods
changing gear

It dose not always change gear and the shape of the hoods are not the best. I'm glad I do not race on it as the response of changing gear is slow!!

If you putting together a winter bike this group set is OK but if you want it for racing then its not the best.

ultegra

[Apr 02, 2010]
kimmypoohx3

Strength:

breaking excellent. stop time decent.

I have to watch when I shift intensely-if I m going up a hill or sprinting I have had more than numerous occasions where my chain will pop off. That's the last thing that I should have to worry about, however with these it is a serious issue. =( I guess going into biking already being an athlete (just not of a biking sport), I should have spent the extra money up front because I knew I would run the bike ragged.

runner and competitive athlete, however not sure how much I wanted to get into biking when I bought it. Came with the Tiagra lineup, and I (without any surprise) ended up riding 100-150 miles per week. I'm not impressed with the abilities so far, and am looking to upgrade. For the price of my bike, I'm not too happy.