SRAM Force Groupos

Force

SRAM Force 10 Speed Road Group: 2010 SRAM Force road groupset with updated graphics inspired by the Red group. Unidirectional carbon is now used for the shifters, crankset and rear derailleur. New 'Zephyr Silver' finish.

guez   [Nov 19, 2013]
Strength:

Light(-ish), cheap.

Not exactly as advertised.

This is a review of SRAM Force 22. As installed, I'm getting a decent amount of rub/rasp in some of the combinations (more than I get with Shimano 105/10 on my other bike). It's possible that I could fix this if I took the time to reinstall the FD. But the bike was built up by uber-framebuilder Chris Bishop, who knows his stuff.

brblue   Road Racer [Jul 12, 2013]
Strength:

- light
- very positive shifting
- good ergonomics of the levers
- very powerful brakes

- sometimes force needed to move the lever for downshift (rear) seems too great
- when on last cog, a downshift would result in an upshift - need to always be aware on what rear cog you're in

Went these days from my old 2003 tiagra with campa monoplanar brakes to the 2012 force group. The old worn out one and the new group do not stand comparison. Besides the expected weight advantage and clockwork functioning of the Force group, i was very pelased with the shape of the brake / shifter units. Since the levers are longer that the old shimano ones, smoothe transitions from bar to hood are not that crucial as in case of the 4400 tiagra hoods - when entirely gripping the hoods, your hands will not meet the bar-hood transition.
Shifting is spot on and, since the upper joint of the rear derailleur is fixed, the derailleur is less susceptible to the influences a slightly bent RD hanger could have on shifting (when using a RD with a mobile upper joint,rear shifting quality can vary with the chainring used up front - i.e. good rear shifting when on small ring, bad rear shifting on large ring).

I presume I'll adapt to the force needed to downshift the RD, so this is not an issue.
One factor i consider a bit uncomfortable is that downshifts, when on the largest cog in the rear, result in an upshift. This is because of the design of the SRAM shifter units: each lever movement will result in either an upshift or a downshift. Also, nothing you can't get used to, it just feels awkward at first. Always know which cog you're on and you'll never meet this problem.

Similar Products Used: 9 speed 4400 tiagra
Nick Sargent   Recreational Rider [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

Nice looking. Light. Well made. Very easy to shift. I don't agree with the comment that they need undue force to shift up (in cog size) either the crankset or the cassette. It is easy and smooth.

None have surfaced as yet.

Well made and apparently far less complex than the Shimano system. When I was trying to fix the Ultegra shifters, my LBS said that if I removed a certain screw on the Ultegra shifters all would be lost...probably on the floor. It was lost anyway so maybe a moot point.

Force is lighter than Ultegra, pretty easy (for an amateur) to put on the bike and set-up. Even the upshifting/ downshifting tensioning for the cables seemed to be easier and less finicky.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra
billwcc   Recreational Rider [Dec 04, 2010]
Strength:

Workmanship of the highest quality. Light weight, strength. Ease of installation and tuning. Shifting is crisp and precise, but requires slightly more muscle than the 105s (which many describe as "mushy" anyway).

Rear derailleur's barrel adjuster contains a threaded aluminum ferrule, with a hex bolt attached. This unit already got cross threaded on me, and I anticipate future issues with it. Suggest order a few spares to keep in hand.

This review is for the shifters and derailleurs only. Installed them this weekend, to replace my old 105s. Got new 2010 shifters and derailleurs for $450 on eBay, which is less than many places charge for 105s. Was immediately impressed with the quality of workmanship on the Force components. Springs are much stronger than the 105s. Shifters noticeably lighter in weight. The 105s would flop all around when turning the crank backwards; the Force stays rock steady. Installation was very straightforward, no gotchas or pitfalls. The included documentation is printed in seemingly every language that has ever existed, but does not contain enough detail to be useful to any given reader. The pictures are clear, and many are in color though. Finally you get the idea, you just have to read between the lines.

Similar Products Used: 105, Tiagra, Sora.
iploya   Road Racer [May 20, 2010]
Strength:

Comfortable/ergonomic, precise, quiet, safer (movable shift paddles), good-looking, innovative.

Now I know why they call the group FORCE - it takes a good bit of FORCE to upshift.

This is for 2010 shifting system (shifters + derailleurs). This is my first-impression review, after about 100 miles on it. Basis for comparison is old DA 7800. Overall, I find the New Force very smooth, precise, comfortable, and ergonomic. Good looking, as well. It didn't take long to get used to the unique shifting action. My only criticism is the upshift, where you push past the single-click point to reverse the direction of the der., takes quite a bit of force (no pun intended). It is not difficult, it just requires a noticeably greater amount of force to operate on the upshift than Shimano DA - for this reason, it is hard to give it a full "5," so I am splitting this review between a "4" value and "5" overall. The inner shift paddles also have a smooth, nice pivoting action that allows you to easily bring them in toward the bars so you can maintain a good grip on your road bar while shifting (e.g. on downhills). Build quality is high. The brake levers are very solid and stiff, and nicely contoured, so with a nice and solid feel. The brake hoods make for a very nice, flat hand surface (reminds me of Campy, which I have not owned). I can't really comment on the value directly in terms of bang-for-buck, since it was included in the price of the S1 ($2700).

Similar Products Used: Old Ultegra SL, Old DA 7800
medbikerun   Recreational Rider [Mar 08, 2010]
Strength:

Shifting Quality & Reliability
Ergonomics
Price (relative to other groups these days and given the price it can actually be gotten for)
Aesthetics (a matter of taste)
Weight

Price: as mentioned in strengths, its one of the best deals out there for a group, but if one takes a step back and thinks about what these bike parts cost, it's still kind of out of control

For starters, it's important to point out that what I'm really reviewing are the 2010 Force shifters, front derailleur, and rear derailleur (these 3 components were bought new off of eBay for the price above). The rest of the group is a hodge-podge of other parts that sufficiently satisfied the weight-weenie in me (not to mention in total the cost of the group came to ~725 w/ all new parts and is significantly lighter than a Red or Super Record group). As it's set up, I could not be happier with this group. The DoubleTap shifting took ~a minute to get used to and is near instantaneous and particularly satisfying to the touch. Front shifting w/ the Force front derailleur & Stronglight CT2 chainrings is flawless as well; feels just about identical to my previous group (Dura Ace 7800). Ergonomics, which get talked up quite a bit, don't disappoint. These shifters are WAY more comfortable than any Shimano shifters I've used in the past (I wear a size Large glove if that makes any difference). Group is also silky smooth - I can't say enough about how nicely it runs together which is more a reflection on the chainrings, chain, & cassette (none of which are Force, admittedly) but which I hope gives reassurance for those concerned about noise like I was previously. For the money I don't think anything else can touch Force (except Rival) - I've ridden Red and there is literally no difference in performance and the few-gram difference can easily be reconciled by swapping the cassette & chain. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Similar Products Used: Shimano Tiagra 4400, 105 5500, 105 5600, Dura Ace 7800, SRAM Red
Joeyxc   Road Racer [Jan 23, 2010]
Strength:

Light and not too expensive when it works.

Poor durability. Terrible.

Front derailleur have broken down twice, it just stopped shifting. That is it after only 300 miles. I have 3 bikes so I did not really use this one that much. My LBS fixed it twice, plus adding a shim to help with the angle of FD hanger. This is terrible. I have used my Shimano 7800 since 2006 with no problem whatsoever. If this is what they call "Make the leap", it is probably "Leap into failure." Rear mechanism works fine and quick. I hate marketing hype and all money they spend on supporting pro tour team and crank out poor products like this group. Guys, stick with Campy or Shimano. SRAM MTB components work fine, though.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 7800, Campy Chorus 11.
DeweyT   Road Racer [Dec 03, 2009]
Strength:

Performance and looks.

None, really..

The disparity in the reviews here is amazing to me. Maybe it's the difference between the pre 2010 and the 2010 version? I really don’t know. My experience with this group has been excellent!

I installed the 2010 Force group with the exception of the chain and cassette on a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Pro frame. (I prefer Shimano chains and cassettes.) Fit and finish of the components is excellent and the group installed without a hitch working flawlessly on the first ride and for the last 300 miles. The only adjustments made in that time were for cable stretch.

I put over 6,000 miles on a Red group this year. Yes, you can’t run the small/small cross chain gear on the Red or the Force group. The chain doesn’t rub the derailleur; it rubs the large chain ring in this combination. So who cares? Don’t run that combination. Rear shifting is as solid and positive as the Red group. I think front shifting is even better than the Red group. I’m so impressed with it that I’ve ordered a Force FD for my Red equipped bike. You can’t tell the difference between the Red and Force shifters. They’re both excellent. Yes, they both require more physical force than Shimano shifters but I have grown to like it better than the soft shifting on the Shimano products. The stroke is shorter than the 7800. I have not ridden the 7900.

I use a 50/34 compact crank. That might be a reason for the difference in the reviews. I suppose the Shimano 7800 chain and Ultegra 11-23 cassette could make a difference too. Again, this setup shifts and rides beautifully. I couldn’t be happier.

Similar Products Used: Sram Red, Shimano Dura-Ace 7800, Shimano Ultegra 6600, Shimano 105
Copelandb   Road Racer [Sep 06, 2009]
Strength:

Great looks, efficient cranks, solid breaks, superb shifting and super light weight (lighter than DA and Record)! This group is light years ahead of my old Ultegra!

Hard to find. Hardly anyone has it, or is able to get it. This should be resolved as 2010 model year equipment continues to hit the market.

This is for the 2010 Group. Simply put, this group rocks! I upgraded from Shimano Ultegra with a triple crank to this group with a compact crank. The crank arms are super stiff, the shifting is superb (I installed myself and have had none of the front shifting issues other users have complained about), and the brakes are powerful. To top it off, the group just looks incredible! It's too bad my frame is older, and scrathced up. I test rode Ultegra SL, Dura-Ace and Campy Record prior to purchase, and have found the Force to be every bit as good as the other "top shelf" groupos, and much better than the second line stuff. Compared to either Shimano or Campy, the shifting is lightning quick and responsive.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra 6510 (I rode this for several years). Shimano Ultegra SL and Dura-Ace, Campy Record (All on test rides).
Alejandro   Commuter [Aug 18, 2009]
Strength:

Anything and everything. Shifting is quick and smooth, brakes stop on a dime.

just make sure you lube up before and after every ride to make sure it shifts as smoothly as possible.

Where do i start when talking about SRAM force. I got my bike 4 years ago with entry components and this past february i decided to upgrade everything except my frame. After looking i purchased the build kit from Colorado Cyclist for $1441. After that is history. There parts are amazing in every aspect. The double tap shifting has a 5 minute learning curve and by my third ride i was shifting while not even thinking about it. The cables stretch out a little the first few rides but thats typical with any bike. The shifting is smooth even when out of the saddle no jerks and you can accelerate extremely fast through the cassette due to SRAMS sprint groove set up. I commute daily to work and havent had any problems over the 1000 miles ive put on the parts. The shifting is great when going through traffic or even in a group ride trying to catch up or sprint.

The brakes are AMAZING in the gruppo. SRAM has done a great job with them but you need to be VERY careful when you first ride on them because they can be very touchy and you can potentially hurt yourself, i personally opened them a little because they were a little too tocuhy for me. Overall the gruppo is top of the line. From the weight to the shifting to the hidden cable aspect because they come out of the back of the shifters and will run underneath your handlebar tape.