SRAM Rival Groupos

Rival

Feel like a pro with Sram Rival group build kit. For your everyday training, long rides on the weekends, as well as an exceptional cyclocross performer, SRAM Rival is the perfect match. With sleek carbon brake levers you have the feel and look of pro comp

Jeb   Recreational Rider [Jun 11, 2013]
Strength:

Fast, crisp shifting, easy setup and maintenance, double tap...etc.
Shimano - smooth. SRAM - hard. I like the feel of the SRAM over the Shimano stuff that I used to have. Personal preference! Love the chain, shifting...repeating myself already.
Quiet when running, and noticeable shifting. Love it.

None for the price. I would like the removeable quick link that was on 9 speed mountain groups. I will look at other chains.
If your bike has an external BB (GXP, Mega Exo, etc), only SRAM cranks are compatible with SRAM BB. I believe that Race Face, FSA, and Shimano are all interchangeable as far as BB/cranks, might nto be "recommended" but I believe they will work.

As per above. Shimano is smooth. Have used Sora 8, Tiagra 9, 105 10, Dura Ace 9. Dura Ace 9 was ridiculously smooth. actually it was unbelievable. Picked up a Giant TCX W for my wife, and was hooked on the noticeable shift almost immediately. Loved the double tap. Now both my bikes also have Sram Rival. I was building a new bike and a guy posted a brand new Rival Group for $450 because he wanted Ultegra like all his friends, so the price was great for my build. I wasn't partial at the time because I liked the 105 I had on my cross bike. Since then, I have converted my cross bike to 105, and now we have three Rival groups in the house.

Andrew Sutherland   [Apr 15, 2013]
Strength:

Very direct feel when shifting. The double tap levers have a much snappier feel than the Shimano 105's. Cool looking carbon brake levers. The brakes modulate well and stop confidently. Easy to adjust.

The crankset is a bit heavy, but that is no surprise for this price point.

Very satisfied with the SRAM rival groupset. Looking back, I am happy I picked rival over 105. This groupset is a good value for the price I paid for the bike (about 1700)

Bikedave1234   Recreational Rider [Dec 28, 2011]
Strength:

Great value. You can interchange components with other Sram groups to suit your needs.

I am a Sram convert after having used a full Red group on my road bike. Recently I removed the 105 group from my cross bike and replaced it with a Rival group (Shifters and Derraileurs). I was a little concerned about installation because I have not previously installed Sram derraileurs on my own. I followed the simple instructions provided and set up the group without any problems. I also used the Sram slick wire brake cables and housings. They work well. There is little point in installing nice components if you do not also install good cables and housings.

Rival works just like Red although I can feel the shifts a little more. This is okay because this is a Cross bike and I need to know the shift actually happened. The group works well and I would not hesitate to install a Rival group on a road bike. Once you get used to Double Tap you will never go back.

I would consider this group to be a great value rather than cheap.

Similar Products Used: Sram Red, Shimano Ultegra and 105.
slegros   Road Racer [Nov 30, 2010]
Strength:

Incredible value. Great crankset, FD, Cassette

-Plastic pivot in the RD-although so far it has worked flawlessly-just seems cheap.
-No zero-loss in the rear shifter
-Addition of the stiffer arm, centre adjust, spring tension on the force caliper may make them a worthwhile upgrade.

I bought a Rival build kit from Excel sports a while back. I like the Group but in my opinion there are a few items worth upgrading. I dislike the plastic pivot on the RD but so far it works great-just looks cheap and out of place. The Zero-loss rear shifting found on the Red shifters I like much better and think is worth the upgrade. The calipers while decent, I think are worth upgrading to Force to get the stiffer arms, centering, spring tension adjust. The Rival cranks are beautiful-some of the nicest alloy cranks I've ever used. likewise the FD, 1070 cassette, BB are great value and hard to be improved on.

A great group for the money, but some corners were cut to deliver it at such a great price... Hey that's why there's Force and Red!

Similar Products Used: Sram, Campag, Shimano....
serottaCOII   Road Racer [Jun 17, 2010]
Strength:

good straight ahead braking. Hoods are comfy. Long throws for 3 up shifting is nice but can also be frustrating if not intentional.

Front derailuuer is crap.Bottom bracket is cast without any machining...very cheap but fine until you have to maintain it.

This stuff is crap. I am so disappointed in this grouppo. I am an open minded and cost conscious rider who will try new equipment especially in this day and age when bikes are just ridiculously expensive. For example I rode Suntour GPX components back in the day and loved them. Easy to adjust and STAYED ADJUSTED! Ultegra is good but can be finicky when adjusting. Ive put a little over 1000 miles on this group in the last 2 months. The brakes are great with the exception of nasty modulation if you get caught braking in a cornering situation. The rear derailleur shifts well but the front is CRAP. The cable must be adjusted so tight for the 53-11 that the trim becomes useless in a 53-25 combo. I have had the chain mis-wrap when shifting from the 53 to the 39 in the middle of the cluster on at least 6 different occasions. This is not user error. This is in climbing situations where I will upshift the rear at least 3 first (too keep from "spinning out" and dropping the chain) and then drop from the 53 to the 39. I’m not sure what happens but I speculate the rear derailleur does not take up the chain slack fast enough. The bike spends way to much time on the stand. The drive train is excessively noisy and the 39 x 11,12 &13 combos are useless because of front derailleur rub. Back to Shimano for me.

Similar Products Used: Suntour GPX, Shimano Ultegra
Losh   Recreational Rider [May 13, 2010]
Strength:

Fast changes. It's different to the standard two. Double tap is neat.

Use at own risk on a supple compliant frame. Hoods stretched quickly. Seems common as online stores were sold out of replacements. Drivetrain is a bit rough.

If you ride a comfortable, supple frame that looks after you on a long ride, not beats you up .. STAY AWAY from this group. The 1:1 pull ratio means the gear change is easily affected by frame flex. I've had repeated dropped chains and mis-shifts in heavy traffic, with a truck on my shoulder. And that's with the derailleur stops adjusted way up close.

If you ride a stiff frame on smooth rides, or are a very light rider .. you may not notice anything. Criterium racers would probably love this group for the rapidfire shifts. They'd probably like the extra force needed on the FD shift. Life changes when you're sprinting in a bunch.

Let me repeat .. the decision to buy this group should be based on your frame qualities. I can ride mine on 75km + rides .. and my back is fine. My bike is supple and divine. But this group is dangerous on my frame. And that's coloured my review. I believe it should come with a list of frames tested as appropriately stiff and suitable for the group.

Similar Products Used: Campag Centaur (briefly)
Old Shimano
bytewalls   Road Racer [May 02, 2010]
Strength:

Top of the line performance, low cost, lighweight (slightly lighter than ultegra at the price of 105), easy to adjust, tolerant (dirt and grime dont bother it),positive shifting

shifting feel if you like shimano smooth, force is only marginally more expensive yet about a half lb lighter

I work as a bike mechanic, so I know first hand from experience, and what the SRAM rep told me, that internally, Rival, Force, and Red are all the same. The only difference is materials. With Rival you get top of the line functionality with a much lower cost. The materials are different, because of this there is less carbon fiber, and it weighs a little more. Because of the steel front mech cage, it actually shifts a little better. The sleep black finish is well, sleek. The shifting is positive, meaning you know you shifted, its not harsh, but you know it happened. This is a personal preference, some call shimano smooth, i call it mushy, and prefer this action much more. It just feels firm. Brakes stop you no problem, great value

Similar Products Used: Sora, Ultegra, Dura Ace, Tiagra
scotty4u   Recreational Rider [May 02, 2010]
Strength:

Carbon levers, annodized crank. First rate manufacturing and well though out design.

Just finished a 24 1/2 mile road ride this am and Im beginning to have a much better feel for the SRAM components. The SRAM Rival (red hoods) group came with my new 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert. The bike has the entire grouppo minus breaks (Tektro cantilever). Having used Shimano 105's SRAM is a world apart. It takes about an hour or so to get used to the "double tap" system. Again, my ride is brand new (New. April 27, 2010). From experience I know any group set takes about a month to break in. Spontaneous shifting (here and there) is part of that as the cables stretch and components seat themselves. Excellent choice for any serious rider.

Similar Products Used: Shinamo 105
Mikka   Commuter [Mar 08, 2010]
Strength:

Brakes are AAA+
Shifting and braking feel intuitive after a short while.

Sensitive to cable friction.
MUST be set up well .. and adjusted to stay that way. I didn't like the chain and cassette .. but perhaps that's personal.

Out of the box ... this groupset drove me nuts. But I was too proud/poor to take it to a bikeshop. The chain was jumping on the small cog. The drivetrain was noisy. Cables were sticky and the derrailleur was shifting 50 metres after I pushed the paddle. The chain came apart after I used a breaker and pin to rejoin it... as I found the quick link too fiddly.

I bought an Ultegra cassette and Dura Ace chain. It didn't solve the problem. My chain wasn't tracking cleanly ... and I was starting to see a warp in my large chainring. The chain was bouncing, the idler sprockets were noisy as hell. My front derailleur had chain rub. It drove me nuts!!!I was starting to hate Rival and curse SRAM.

Over the last few nights .. I've pulled it apart, cleaned .. lubricated and reassembled... adjusted and adjusted. I got on my bike to commute to Uni this morning .. expecting to swear the whole way there. But the group is SWEET!!! I'm stunned. It's like a different groupset. I still have some minor issues .. but I'll sort them out.

1. Lube your cables.
2. Add teflon tube under the bottom bracket to allow the cable to slide easily.
3. Lubricate ALL moving parts with your favourite quality oil. (I use Inox Chainlube .. it worked wonders on my derailleur idler sprockets).
4. Read the instructions. They're useful.
5. Ask for help from a friend who's Sram savvy.
6. Take it to a bike shop that know Sram. They do this stuff for a living.

This is a good groupset. I'm now happy.