Crank Brothers Egg Beater 3 s Pedals

Crank Brothers Egg Beater 3 s Pedals

The Eggbeater 3 features a chromoly spindle for strength and durability, plusThe eggbeater designThats known for its easy entry and mud-clearing capabilities. weight: 278g per pair spindle: forged scm435 chromoly steel body: cast stainless steel wings: cast stainless steel spring: 300 series stainless steel

[Jan 23, 2013]
TiCoyote

Strength:

Light
Easy to clip in and out with MTB shoes

Require maintenance
Don't even try them with road shoes

I used these forever on my MTB. When I switched to a road bike, I put a pair on the road bike and continued using MTB shoes. When I switched to road shoes, they didn't work very well. There just isn't enough surface area. My ankles rocked and got really sore. I eventually learned from CrankBros that it is dangerous to use these with a smooth-soled road shoe.

Anyway, I've had a love-hate relationship with these pedals.

They're super light. They're strong. They have a simple mechanism that should require zero adjustment and minimal maintenance.

In actuality, I think I killed four pairs of these. The original ones (which were the original EggBeaters) didn't have deep enough sockets to unscrew them with the hey wrench, so they got stripped. I had to grind in wrench flats to get them out. The next two pairs needed to be greased and rebuilt with increasing frequency. Eventually, the springs just wore to the point that they rattled all the time, and I didn't have a tight interface.

Also, sometimes it feels like they're engaged, but they're really not. Other times, my foot slides right off when I'm clipping in, so I bang my shin on the pedal or my crotch on the saddle. Pain.

On a mountain bike shoe they're great. On a road bike shoe, they are a no-go. They could be great for cyclocross or commuting if you have a MTB shoe. If you are all-road, look elsewhere. In fact, I switched to the Look Keo Classic, and I never looked back.