Crank Brothers EGGBEATER SS Pedals

EGGBEATER SS

Eggbeater pedals offer outstanding performance in all conditions. The four-sided design is easy to clip into, and sheds mud easily. Unlike many other pedal systems, the retention does not affect the release tension - that is, the pedals holds you securely, yet still releases easily (unlike other systems which become harder to release from if you increase the retention).

Evilbofh   Road Racer [Aug 26, 2010]
Strength:

Great feel light stay clean..

HIGH maintenance! prone to bearing failure! weak cleats.
Best kept on the shelf...

Great feel. light. stay clean.

HIGH maintenance! prone to bearing failure weak cleats. Need to be grease often, bearing give out without warning, then the pedal falls off.. (they should be delivered with rebuild kits!)

Dont waste your money if you want pedals you can trust. (possible due to my 80Kg and many city limit races...) Lighter slower rider might enjoy..

Similar Products Used: Shimano MTB pedals. Look road pedals.
flipmoe   Road Racer [Aug 24, 2007]
Strength:

Great idea, I don't think that they're really right though.

Lacks feeling of positive engagement.
Cleat wears really fast, don't do any off-bike walking.
Hard to clip-in
Foat feels like ice skating, even after adjustment

Also - if the pedal hits your leg, you'll wind up in ER w/ 5 stitches

One word can sum up the entire experience. "Meh."

They're not 'bad' pedals per se but I really don't like how they feel. There's no positive engagement, and it's hard to find the clip-in point quickly.

Since there's no cleat and no pedal to give you a frame of reference, you wind up fishing for the engagement point. Sometimes you'll click in without any noise at all and I'll have to doublecheck just to make sure that I'm actually in.

Similar Products Used: Speedplay Zero, Ultegra
pbird74   Recreational Rider [Aug 13, 2007]
Strength:

Easy in/out, light, tough,need I say more?

Buy the harder version of cleats if you can. If not, who cares, really.

I love these pedals. I will not go to Shimano, LOOK, or any other style.

Similar Products Used: Toe clips?
Chipotle Fan   Recreational Rider [Aug 06, 2007]
Strength:

Works as advertised.

No click sound when you release.
Very unnatural feeling when peddling.
Takes too much of a heel twist angle to release.
I think they're dangerous on a road bike.

Having purchased my first road bike with clipless pedals I chose the Eggbeaters because of their simple design, four-sided entry, low maintenance and recessed cleats. I came to realize that those are all the wrong reasons for choosing a road pedal.

From day one I had problems releasing. I would come to a stop, twist my heels, lean over to stand, only to find that my foot never released and thump, asphalt massage. I soon learned to release from the pedals before coming to a stop so that wouldn’t happen anymore. I found that my riding was becoming apprehensive, especially downhill. Instead of feeling like I was pedaling the bike, I felt more like my feet were strapped to a couple of metal bars and I wouldn’t be able to release in an emergency situation.

I decided to try a conventional ski-binding type of pedal and chose Shimano. The difference is amazing. I hear a loud click when I disengage so there’s no question when I’m in or out. My foot pressure is now spread evenly across the entire front of my shoes and I feel like I’m pedaling a bike, not strapped to a couple of bars. Yes, walking with Shimano cleats is not as easy as the recessed Eggbeater cleats however I would never trade that small inconvenience for control and safety on my bike.

Similar Products Used: Shimano - Works great.
flyingdutch   Commuter [Apr 08, 2007]
Strength:

Ease of use
weight
clearance
engagement

longevity
built of the wrong stuff!

First, let me say I love these pedals.
However, after many iterations, variations, tweaks and fashion statements there are some fundamental flaws still not being addressed by the Brothers Crank.
All the positives (low weight, clearance, ease of use, mudproof etc) are true.
But the single biggest issue of their entire range is longevity. Many mtb riders i know had an affair with beaters but 12 months later ditched 'em.
Problems.
The spring gets 'tired' and thus the pedals lose their tightness of engagement.
I even snapped on of the arms. After 3 months of commuting/light use.
The Allen key hole in the centre of the spindle has ridiculously small engagement face, so prey your allen key is a snug fit. I now have a crankset rendered useless because i cannot get the pedal off. The shop had a go (and they are good!) but it will require some butchery.
But the single biggest flaw with the beater and related range is one part which seems to be common to their entire range as far as I can tell. Its the plastic, yes PLASTIC shim that sits in the centre of the bearing/innards arrangement. So, you can expect your pedals to disintegrate (as 3 of my pairs have ths far) leavng you with a partial pedal assembly on your foot, an axle left on your crank and bits of bearing assembly and other pieces along the road behind you. I have achieved this now 3 times. I don't ride offroad (well, rarely) and the last 12 months have been silly/dry here and I have done a bearing-kit swap.
After 4 pairs (1 x SL's 1 x Candy, 1 x C and 1 x MXL)
and trialling Quattro Ti's I am done.
If the Brothers Crank ever fix their flaws, I'll be back because these pedals do rock, but I expect pedals to last more than 12 months of average use

Similar Products Used: Speedplays
LOOKs
SPDs
johnsocj   Recreational Rider [Mar 11, 2007]
Strength:

Easy clip in, clip out. Extremely durable, easy to service, work in ALL conditions. What else do you need? Go get them.

Cleats wear a bit fast, but this is true of any bronze cleat (ala ATAC's) and also contributes to their great feel. Due to the fact that the mechanism is shared by all four sides of the pedal, if you bottom out a pedal on a rock, you'll often become unclipped. Both of these complaints are extremely whiney. Just replace your cleats and don't ride like a goof, right?

Well, I purchased the original stainless model, when eggbeaters first came on the market. The SS looks a little schnazzier now. These pedals have been on my mountain bike and road bike- they're my all time favorites, and get used all the time.

Similar Products Used: various SPD's, ATAC's, Look, Speedplay's, Time equipe
Dave Wright   Recreational Rider [Sep 15, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight. Positive clip-in. Reliable release. No energy wasted in pedal/shoe play, yet enough rotational freedom to prevent knee problems and allow you to work the bike through off-road obstacles without unintentional declipment. Design does not require adjustment for proper clip-in/release action - which in turn allows any CB cleated shoe to clip into any Egg without tweaking the action. Folks with multiple bikes will understand how important this is. Bearings are sealed and do not require maintenance despite nasty conditions, yet are easily rebuildable.

None really. I paid $100 for each of my pairs, but have seen carbon steel versions for $50 since. Some people might say "where's the platform?", but underfoot rigidity is provided by your shoe's sole instead of the pedal. Cornering clearance may be a tad less than some other pedals, but I have yet to touch pedal to road.

I gave the Eggs a try after getting tired of adjustments and mud jams when mountain biking with Richey SPDs. About a year later, after plenty of riding in all sort of conditions, I decided to put a set on my road bike also, retiring an old set of Times. You don't see these on road bikes, but I don't care because they are light, bombproof, and work wonderfully. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. I can't think of many examples better than Crank Brothers' simple stainless steel eggbeater. Once you understand how they work, and experience how unobtrusively and reliably they do their job, all other pedals (including non-eggbeaters by CB) seem fussy and overdone.

Similar Products Used: Richey SPD mountain pedals and Time road pedals.
jaymose   Commuter [Sep 01, 2005]
Strength:

No play, Easy clipping and release

Hurts like hell if the pedal hits your shin.

These pedals are the cat's pajamas. I've used these pedals for courier work for the last 3 months (on a track bike) and I must say they're the best all around pedal I've used. The beaters are the easiest to clip into as well as to escape from, but some how manage to keep shoes snug against the pedal while riding. There's VERY little play forwards/backwards and up/down.

Similar Products Used: shimano, ritchey
trexuphigh   Recreational Rider [Apr 27, 2005]
Strength:

While removing the body from the spindle I was impressed with how easy it would be to service these. Other strengths include, four sided entry, light weight, and decent price.

Problems engaging, puoor pontoon design on road cleats. My wife had the pedal contact the road on a few not too deep turns.

I bought these pedals because I wanted an inexpensive, relatively light, pedal. My wife has been using these for close to a year and is quite happy with them. My experience was not like hers. Everything that could go wrong did. First I had a cleat screw fall or brake off and preventing disengagement resulting in an embarrassing fall with my brand new (three blocks old) bike. This could have been my fault but still...grrr! Coming from using a Shimano brand SPD pedal for 3 years I found these very difficult to clip in. On a road shoe (Sidi T-1) I had difficulty finding engagement. A problem that I never had with the SPDs. At first I thought it was a break-in issue but after three months there was no improvement. As well, I found the normal cleats to cause noticeable hotspots, even on short rides so I upgraded to the road cleat with the rubber pontoons. While this eliminated the hotspots and made walking easier it did not solve the engagement issue. After a week with the new cleats one of the rubber pontoons fell off, there was no noticeable change in performance. As time went on the problems continued… my left foot disengaged at times while riding and a few times while at a red light (I think my heel crept to much inward while stopped). Often I'd find myself unable to engage the rear off the cleat even though the front of the cleat was in the proper position. I even mounted the bike on a trainer and had a friend look at my positioning from multiple angles. These issues occurred on the majority of my rides. Finally yesterday, I went down to MEC in Vancouver and got some Shimano A515 road SPDs. The A515s weigh slightly more but they have a much better feel. If they last the 3 years, 5000 km, of my first SPDs then I'll be happy. To add insult to injury I found my right eggbeater very difficult to remove (perhaps the LBS who assembled the bike, did not lube the threads enough) regardless, knuckles were driven into chainrings when the wrench slipped. I had to remove the body from the spindle in order to slip a spark socket over the spindle and use a socket wrench with an iron bar to add leverage in order to remove it. Perhaps the pedals just had it in for me, LOL.