Crank Brothers Quattro SL Pedals

Crank Brothers Quattro SL Pedals

»Light system weight
(363g per pair with the cleats)
»Great cleat/pedal contact area
»Adjustable cleat position
»Narrow Q-factor
»Tight cornering clearance
»Smooth rotational precision
»Dependable entry and exit
»Great cleat retention during sprints

[Nov 14, 2010]
Don

Strength:

Really like the platform

Takes time to get use to clipping in and out. Got mud in the clips made hard to clip in and out. Have to keep clean to insure ease of clipping in and out

I have had SPDs Look and the Crank Bros. quattro Sl I have over 8,000 miles on my pedals. Rode 4 Centuries this year. Ride 60 or more miles a week. Weight is around 170
I never have had a problem with breakage.

Look and Shimano SPDs

[Aug 30, 2010]
Traaen

Strength:

Ease of entry and exit; multi sided, one format for all types of riding, price, customer serivice from Crank Brothers

Reliability, bearings, weight. come on crank get it together, just copy Shimano, Look or Mavic!!

I have Crank Brothers on all my bikes, including egg beaters, candy, smarty, and quattros. I posted a review in 07 stating how much i likethe products. I still like the concept but have trouble justifiying continuing to use these when I have had 3 springs on quattros and egg beaters break, a pair of candys self destruct, a spindle break on eggbeaters, and the side plates come off 2 quattros.

Ritchey mtn, Time mtn. Shimano road, Look road, Mavic Road, Shimano SPD-R, old school toe clips.

[Apr 19, 2010]
10beers

Strength:

Cleat durability as CB's come with a plastic surround to protect cleat. Minimal maintenance needs

Plastic Housing= questionable durability for heavier riders like myself.

I have owned these pedals for 5 years. The first 3 years didn't do a lot of riding, but the last two I have logged a decent number of miles for a beginning recreational rider. I have probably put around 2-3k on them since buying them.

Im a 225lb guy that loves to crank hard while riding. I eventually snapped off the left pedal from the spindel. The plastic housing cracked mid ride.

Changed over to Look Keo 2 Max. Havent put any mileage on them but would say the float in the Look is great than the cranks bros. The float in the CB's was very controlled vs the ease of movement I felt with the Keos.

Look Keo 2 Max

[Mar 14, 2010]
Blackhound01

Strength:

Reasonable weight and solid platform. Pleasant range of colours to match bike frame.

Not as durable and user friendly as times. Longevity is an issue. Very disappointed with product.

Used item on and off for 12 months. Not as easy to get into as my time atacs and not as well made. Right side pedal came apart after minimal wear (metal pressed end detached from composite frame).

Time ATAC, still going strong after many years of use and abuse (great design and fit).

[Mar 14, 2010]
peter5992

Strength:

I can swap my road shoes with my MTB shoes since I am using the same system (eggbeaters) on my MTB.

Expensive, heavy (in spite of the titanium apparently used), non adjustable, takes time to get used to, poor quality and service.

I got these at Sports Basement when I bought my Fuji back in June 2008. It took me weeks to get used to the clpping system - at first it seems like a circus act. It doesn't help that they are not adjustable in any way.

About two months ago my right pedal broke off (bad bearing it seems). Sports Basement called Crank Brothers who insisted on seeing the pedal before sending spare parts or a replacement. After several weeks they got back to Sports Basement, saying it required 'service' and would charge $ 27. After Sports Basement leaned on them a little they relented and fixed it for free. I finally got the bike after several more weeks. No points for the Crank Brothers service department here (but kudos to Sports Basement).

[Aug 12, 2009]
eggebral

Strength:

Cheap.
Well made.
Visually appealing (match my bike).

Entrance system takes some getting used to if you are new or not used to Crank Bros.

Used these on my flatbar road bike for commuting and some longer rides as well. Really like the big platform because it allows you to be versitile in your shoe selection. As other reviews have said I found it difficult to clip back in after stopping. It has definately been a process getting used to! Overall good product though that seems to be pretty solid.

[Jun 08, 2009]
SeamusD

Strength:

Ease of use, egg beater system, customer service

Adjustment when fitting. Loose cleat protector.

I mainly bought these pedals because I already had some egg beaters and I thought they were great. Well the Quattros have been great too and so have Crank Brothers. I lost one of the cleat guards on my second ride, emailed Crank Bros and they sent me a new pair free of charge from the USA. Awesome customer service.

I also found the adjustment of the angle a bit limited with the three bolt cleat and had to resort to a bit of diy modification, but it worked just fine.

Anyway that aside I've personally had no problems at all with these pedals. I guess I kind of expected them to be good anyway cos the Egg Beaters work so well and they really have been. I can ride any bike I have in any pair of shoes I have. If it's cold and p***ing with rain and I want to ride my road bike in my waterproof Shimano M80 mountain bike boots, I just put on the boots and go (well maybe a few other items of clothing as well). I guess if I wanted to ride one of my mountain bikes in my road bike shoes I could do that too - it's just never seemed like a good idea ;o)

So a few teething quibbles, but the performance, flexibility and customer service makes that all fairly insignificant.

First ever set of pure road pedals.

[Apr 16, 2009]
ignatzh

Absolutely the worst pedals I've ever owned, switched back to Shimano. Way too much play, creaked and the plastic pedal interface insert with teh cleat broke in the middle of a ride. Piss-poor company response, a total waste of money.

[Sep 14, 2008]
conipto

Strength:

Road cleat system compatible with MTB cleat system (YMMV with some MTB Shoes I'm told)
Easy to get in / out of
Look sharp
solid platform
low maintenance

Metal plates can loosen - use semi-permanent loctite to fix.

I use the same bike for riding to work as I do for long / fast paced road rides. I bought these because I already used the egg beaters on my mountain bike and really liked those. One thing I found within a few weeks was that the metal plates had loosened as others had said. I unscrewed the small hex screws and put some blue loctite on them and haven't had a single issue with the metal plates since. Perhaps this is something that CB should do before shipping. Other than that, I find the ability to switch from my MTB shoes (shimano tennis shoe looking ones I wear all day at work) to my road shoes (ugly carbon soled beasts you can barely walk in) more than makes up for it.

Shimano SPD and clones, Ultegra SPD-R, Look Keo Carbon, Egg Beaters MTB Pedals

[Aug 18, 2008]
ren

Strength:

Ultra Heavy-duty

Weight

I have put 10 000km on them and no loose, no noise, Snap so quikely. They are juste a litle bit heavy.