Look A-3.1 Pedals

A-3.1

harman_mogul   Road Racer [Jun 29, 2007]
Strength:

Familiar. Economical. Good looking. Spin freely and don't give the knees any grief.

Heavy. Bearings wear suprisingly fast. Bulky, so can hit the ground when cornering a road bike with low bracket height. Obsoleted by the Keo, which has better ergonomics, lighter wieght and is relatively cheaper.

Tried and tested technology. Not at the leading edge, but do you really need that?

Similar Products Used: Look 5.1 (unusable), Shimano 105 Looks (unbreakable).
Josh M   Recreational Rider [Jun 15, 2007]
Strength:

Function well. No problems.

Weight

These are great pedals if you can find them for cheap. Very easy to clip in/out. Plenty of float with the red delta cleat. Cleats last for a reasonably long time. I would rate these five, but they are quite heavy for a road pedal at 400 grams.

DJGONZO   Recreational Rider [May 31, 2007]
Strength:

Easy use, low maintenance, and they look good.

None that I can think of. Again I have nothing to compare them to.

I've used these pedals for a little over two years they are the only clipless pedals I've used and I am more than satisfied with them so much that I've never thought of replacing them. Easy to use and maintain. I love the platform and the solid "clicking" sound when cliping in. No squeaks as others have mentioned. The only reason I'm not giving these pedals a 5 is because I have nothing to compare them to.

OrangeGuy   Road Racer [Oct 27, 2006]
Strength:

solid platform, float is good, solid (plastic)sound when clipped so you know if you are not.

Slipery on the shoe if you are not clipped in. They are heavy.

I have been using these pedals for over 3 years and they have held up very well. They are not very light , they have a good platform, they just work like a pedal should. (The cleats are a different story)

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Crank Bros
bobp   Road Racer [Jul 23, 2005]
Strength:

Good entry and exit. Good eye appeal.

None for my needs.

I bought the A3.1 pedals because I was having trouble clipping out of my A5.1s. What a difference a couple of Newton-Meters (Nm) make. The A3.1 adjusts between 8 and 12 Nm. I have them set at about 10Nm, just 2Nm lower than what I had on the A5.1. This works great for me. No problem clipping out. They also look good, very similar to the A5.1. I get no squeaking, but then I never did on any of my Look pedals. I could see how a real road racer might want a tighter feel but I'm pretty light and I don't sprint, so I feel pretty secure in the pedals.

CFull158   Road Racer [Dec 17, 2003]
Strength:

Big platform. Weighted right, so it makes for and easy entrance. Exiting is also easy.

Too much float. No enough adjustments. Heavy. When I was doing standing starts, I could pull out of them easily. Not good for racing. Also, the tightening bolt can strip easly and cannot be replaced.

The pedal is a decient low level entry pedal. Could for someone learning how to use clipless pedals. I bought them as a cheaper alturnative towards other looks.

The Rock   Recreational Rider [Nov 29, 2003]
Strength:

Nice big platform...easy in and easy out.

If this a weakness - can't adjust without unclipping. Price shoulda been lower and I shoulda shopped around on eBay first. LOL

Excellent pedal(s). Very easy to get into and very easy to get out of. Has an adjustment screw inside the platform...you'd have to unclip to adjust which is probably the only drawback I can see for this pedal - if that's even a drawback. Overall, it's an excellent pedal.

Similar Products Used: Look PP247, Look PP256
  Recreational Rider [Oct 24, 2003]
Strength:

Easy to use, not much to go wrong, can be had fairly cheap now.

Weight, lack of adjustment, finish scuffs easily, cleats offer little off-bike traction and seem to wear quickly.

I've put about 900 miles on mine and have had no problems. While I don't have any gripes about these pedals, there's nothing too remarkable about them either. I've only clipped out by accident a couple of times, other than that I've had very little trouble getting in and out. The cleats could use improvement, however. They provide almost no traction when stopping or standing and seem to wear pretty quickly. The pedals are also fairly heavy when compared to similar products. I would recommend them however if you're on a budget (you can find them for under $70 now) or are new to clipless.

Similar Products Used: None.
E5RIDER   Recreational Rider [Oct 18, 2003]
Strength:

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A GOOD BRAND CLIPLESS AND A FEW EXTRA GRAMSDONT MATTER A3.1 THE WAY TO GO

A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN HIGHER END PEDALS, BUT IF YOUR A WEIGHT NUT GO WITH THE CX7

I PERSONALLY LOVE LOOK A3.1 PEDALS. THEY MAY BE A LITTLE HEAVIER, BUT I LOVE THE EASY ENTRY A STURDY PLATFORM. I HAVE TWO BIKES THE OTHER HAS LOOK 396 WHICH HAVE THE DIAL AND ALL THE GADGET, BUT I NEVER USED THEM. SO THE A3.1 WERE RIGHT FOR ME, AND BEING THAT THERE SO EASY TO GET INTO I HAVENT HAD THE PROBLEM WITH SCRATHES FROM MISSED ENTRY, MINE ARE FINE.