Look A-5.1 Pedals

A-5.1

Sknyskiman   Road Racer [Jul 13, 2007]
Strength:

Appearance, reasonable weight, and durability.

None worth mentioning.

I haven't found any problems clipping in and out of these pedals. Adjustment range is very nice too. After three years, they still seem to run smooth and no squeaking. I do lots of climbing so these pedals have taken a pounding over the years. I've been using Look clipless pedals since 1986, and their technology gets better all the time.

Similar Products Used: Look classic Look pedals (1986), Look A3.1, and Look PP??? (can't remember exactly).
Jeff   Triathlete [Mar 27, 2007]
Strength:

None.

Just way too hard to uncleat them even after 2 years of use. In fact it seemed to have gotten harder with time. May be due to the exposed spring.

These are the worst pedals I have used so far. Been using Shimanos and had no problems with them. Decided to change into new Look after the many years of abuse of the Shimanos (but with little problems). So damm diffcult to uncleat that it even tore the sole of my old shoes off. Am using a new pair of shoes and I can see that its about to do the same for the new shoes. Avoid these pedals at all cost.

Similar Products Used: Shimano pedals
Richard Penney   Road Racer [Jan 13, 2007]
Strength:

stongest tension to hold you in

the spring loaded plastic part the holds the cleat to the pedal broke. I had it constantly set in at the higheest tension of 18Nm and I can only assume that the pedal was not made sufficently strong enough to cater for its own tension design.

I am a pragmatic person. If it does the job I like it, if it doesn't I don't like it. I had bought the A5.1 because they had the strongest tension I could get as I had pulled my foot from Look 296 pedals before and nearly came off the bike.
Pedals were great before I broke them, If pedals break under stress/tension they can be very dangerous. I would not buy these pedals again but I would buy the 396 pedals again.
I have managed to break 3 aluminium bike frames in bottom bracket area and my current trusty steel frame track bike has been welded twice in bottom bracket area. This is/was not due to rough riding (bumps etc) so I would assume I put a fair bit of force through the bike from time to time.

Similar Products Used: Look 296 and Look 396,

NZVET   Road Racer [Oct 18, 2006]
Strength:

Solid construction that can take the knocks. No problems with bearings after initial replacement.

Just the squeak!

About 8 months after purchase the right pedal bearing started to seize. Was promptly replaced under guarantee. A few months later the dreaded LOOK squeak emerged on the right pedal. Tried all sorts to get rid or it but any effort was only temporary before the squeak would re-emerge. It must be contageous since the left pedal developed the same problem within a few weeks. Even the new delta cleats didn't help. After 2 years of persisting with this and having the unwanted squeak on many a ride, I've relegated the A5.1 to my spares bin and upgraded to DA SPDSL's.

Similar Products Used: Wellgo, Keywin
singletrack   Triathlete [Aug 22, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, Bearings, Great hold power, releases when needed, looks good on my bike.

Could be a little lighter.

Good pedal for the money. I've had these for 4yrs and the bearings are still supper smooth.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Richey
harman_mogul   Recreational Rider [Aug 11, 2006]
Strength:

Positive engagement, very solid hold (red cleats on Sidi race shoes) promotes smooth 'pedalling round'. Appear well made made and look great in Ferrari red, matching the bike.

Even at the slackest setting they are hard to unclip, hazardously so in London traffic. I have used Look-type pedals for 15 years and still managed to stall and fall off.

Great once you're clipped in -- scary in traffic though.

Similar Products Used: Shimano PD-1055 Looks, among the best cycling products I ever bought. Shimano PD-747 SPDs, also wonderful. Ritchey Pro road, not very well made. Campag Corsa Record, beautiful and so light. Many, many others.
AC Slater   Road Racer [Jun 06, 2006]
Strength:

I didn't really ride them long enought to see any other than the really solid feel and very audible and obvious click when engaging.

None, unless your knees are sensitive.

I'd been using eggbeaters with mtb pedals and decided it was finally time to officially join the lycra crowd. Most road weenies use Looks, so I thought I'd give their lower end models a shot. I started with the 247s, but the lack of any effective float left my knees feeling the burn. I took them back and exchanged them for the 5.1s. These are better with the adjustable float, but still not good enough. My knees still really hurt, so I made another trip to Performance and exchanged these for Crank Bros quattros which I love almost as much as beer. Anyway, these are solid, if heavy pedals. I have no complaints other than that they just didn't agree with my knees.

I also want to give props to performance. I know they're the Walmart of bike shops and they've probably put a few little guys out of business, but their customer service flat out kicks ass. I brought back two sets of pedals, one even without a receipt, and they exchanged them both with zero hassle. It was obvious that they had been used and I was honest about the reason I was returning them. Not many places will let you buy something, use it, then return it simply because you didn't like it.

Similar Products Used: Look 247s-even worse
Crank Bros Quattros-very good so far
bluemound51   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2006]
Strength:

Look's bomb proof bearings. Super stable platform. Choice of 3,6 or 9 degreees of float. Cool looks, black with red and silver graphics go great with my Look Carbon frame.

A bit heavy for weight weenies. Expensive unless on sale or mis-marked at a swap meet.

Couldn't believe these almost new 5.1's were in a box marked $25.00. I leave the tension at the lowest setting which still holds firm. I've had no problems with these or any Look pedals. In fact, the bearings on my first Looks from 1988 roll perfectly. The bodies are just trashed. You need to keep these pedals clean and put a couple drops of White Lightning or TriFlow on the tips and rear edges of the cleats from time to time. Then clicking in and out is not an issue. Overall a great, pure pedaling platform.