Performance Performance Forte Pro Mg Ti Road Pedals

Performance Forte Pro Mg Ti Road

Mr__scott   Commuter [Apr 30, 2011]
Strength:

light weight

ruined knees

commute to work with these pedals. worked fine for perfomance for many years, but ruined my knees. many people have complained of the Look type pedals doing this. $2000 later in medical bills finally figured this out and went to time pedals. within 1 month knees had healed. get the time pedals and save your knees

Similar Products Used: look brands
jlemond   Recreational Rider [Sep 16, 2006]
Strength:

They are standard SPD cleats. I have not sliped out of them or anything. Very easy to clip in and snap out. Lightweight 200 Grams. Inexpensive.

None so far

Great Product. This is my first set of clipless pedals. I looked for something inexpencive and lightweight. Well I found them. I have nothing bad to say about these pedals are the newest version (2006) and have metal cleats. They are standard SPD cleats. I have not sliped out of them or anything. Very easy to clip in and snap out. I have a very strong back/up stroke and have had no problems. I have only put on about 200 miles. I am 5'10 and 178lbs.

Similar Products Used: none
dnagray   Recreational Rider [Sep 07, 2006]
Strength:

Value

None so far.

I'm always amazed at the differences in opinions on bicycle parts. My experience with these pedals is so great that I purchased a second set for my new bike. I've got roughly 3500 miles on my first pair with no problems. Easily adjusts and I changed out my cleats for 0 float as they are the same as Look. For the money these pedals cannot be beat. I'm not a racer so I can't attest to how they hold up under racing conditions. I'm a recreational/commuter but I ride quite a bit and would recommend these to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Shimano w/spd clip.
SaabFan   Commuter [Jun 29, 2006]
Strength:

They're light and cheap. That's about it.

Where to begin? Firstly, I had a struggle getting used to the clip-in feel. I'd find myself a block or two down the road realizing I wasn't actually clipped in. The left pedal would clip out at random times, sometimes during hard climbs (dangerous!) and sometimes just cruising along. I spent months adjusting the cleat position on the shoe and tension on the pedal to make it a tiny bit better, but it still happens from time to time.

The pedals sit at an odd angle, making it hard to clip in from stop sign starts.

The tension springs rusted up after a ride or two in the wet.

After a year of light riding (probably 2000 miles or so) the left pedal is basically "stuck." It's nearly impossible to clip out of, no matter what I do - different cleats, clean and lube, back the tension screw all the way off, nothing seems to work. time to junk these and buy something easy and reliable from a better brand name.

Well, what can I say? I think the old adage "You get what you pay for" is true here. I bought these pedals about a year ago for my commuter bike that sees occasional competitive use as well. I've had nothing but problems, and am actually online right now shopping for replacements.

They're a good "value" in that they're cheap, but I had plenty of issues. Reading these reviews, it seems others have had mixed luck too.

marquism1   Road Racer [Jun 17, 2006]
Strength:

Very light. Golden Ti spindle is shiny. Cheap.

Inadvertant releases, not easy to get in.

These are pretty bad pedals. They release on the upstroke in hard climbs, well one pedal does. Getting in is more trouble than it should be since the pedal hangs itself at a useless angle. Getting out is OK, but they do hang up sometimes now that they're screwed down tight in the attempt to prevent the aforementioned releases.

They are super light and cheap. I'm usually willing to put up with some weirdness as a tradeoff for lightness and/or cheapness, but these things aren't even reliably weird, so I give up. I'll pay a few extra grams and get something that works better.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Speedplay, Campy
sforbes   Road Racer [May 03, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight, cheap, secure (I have no fear of ever clipping out unintentionally)

Smaller platform (but not a lollipop), cheap plastic cleats that come with the pedal

This pedal works pretty well and I like that I can use the spd cleat. The cleats that came with the pedal were plastic junk, so I use some medal shimano cleats I had from before. Clipping in can be difficult as the pedal has no counter weight system, but once you get use to the feel it isn't bad.

I get a lot of crap from the guys I race with, but the pedal serves its purpose well and has a tight float (which I prefer). Everyone tells me to go with a bigger platform, but I haven't tried any other products, and won't change until these wear out.

I'm a feather weight so I don't have problems with fatiquing the pedals, but they are minimalist, so a heavier rider may have issues.

moabbiker   Recreational Rider [Sep 21, 2005]
Strength:

Lightweight. Reasonably easy to use.

Soft magnesium threads allow screws to be undone easily.

My first pair lasted me over 8000 miles, which included heavy city riding and one crash that slid off a good chunk of the pedal. Anyways, other than being cosmetically blemished after my crash, the pedals were fine. Problem came around the 7k mark when one of my pedal bolts came off. I managed to find another tiny screw of the same type and used it to thread in -- didn't last more than one ride. Apparently, the soft Mg threads of the pedal were somehow no good anymore. I hear this is a common problem with magnesium metal as it's so soft. Anyways, I ordered another pair from Performance. The pedals looked the same but I was upset the same screws looked slightly stripped from the factory. Apparently, the issue of the cleat assembly screws being undone is something they know about -- but they didn't have to strip my screws! Well, at $53 it's hardly a major investment so i'll see how it holds up. I prefer SPD style pedals and these are simply the lightest ones out there at 200g for the pair -- verified with my postal scale.

martinm3j   Recreational Rider [Jun 06, 2005]
Strength:

Wow - just spinning the crank, you can feel the difference in the weight! Great float; more than the old Shimano M737's they replaced (temporarily mooched from my Mtn Bike). Allows me to use my old Shimano SPD cleats and have something that looks and functions good on the bike. Good price, too.

No complaints.

Finally hit 500 miles on the new pedals. I'm totally satisfied with them.

EJ   Recreational Rider [Nov 12, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight. Performance return policy.

Impossible to adjust accidental releases.

These pedals just did not work for me. I had SPD's on my last road bike and really liked them. I could never get these properly adjusted. One pedal was very tough to release and the other was too easy. Even at the tighest setting it released when climbing. Also, it was hard to know when you were clipped in (no "click"). Performance gave me a refund with no questions asked.

jbsequoia   Recreational Rider [Nov 03, 2003]
Strength:

Great price and clean looking design. I've experienced no problems getting into and out of them. Like any pedal, they need to cleaned and lubed a few times a year. The weight to price ratio is outstanding and Performance has a winner with their house brand Forte Pro.

none so far.

For only $70 and the feathery 200gm weight, there aren't too many pedals that compete. I haven't had any problems with them save some initial stiffness but that's worked out already. I used to ride Look pedals but the majority of them run heavier in the 320gm to 370gm range. I bought a new bike in April that weighs in at 17 pounds and I wanted to keep it a light as possible and the Forte Pros were a screaming deal. Also, like so many others who use SPD type cleats, I wanted to be able to walk around in a reasonably normal fashion and I couldn't do that with the Looks.

Similar Products Used: Various Look pedals and other SPD types.