Shimano PD-7800 Pedals

PD-7800

Ride like Lance!The 7800 pedals wonThe 2003 ConsumersChoice award from Bicycling / Mountain Bike magazines. The 7800 pedal features an extra wide platform for improvedfoot-pedal stability incorporated in a lightweight designThat weighs just 277grams. Low profile design bringsThe foot closerToThe spindleTo improve powertransmission. An aluminum body with a nickle-plated chrome-moly steel spindlefurther reducesThe weight. Adjustable releaseTension with a visual indicator letsyou dial inThe pedals

dogletree   Road Racer [Sep 18, 2009]
Strength:

Very powerful easy clip in. Once in you have no worries about slipping out. Very little float.

A little heavy but no major flaws

Solid torque. Easy Clip in and easy to clip out.

StillKeen   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2009]
Strength:

Great clip in and out.
Easy to walk in the cleats.
Standard cleat, so very easy to buy when traveling or whatever.
Matches my other shimano parts.
Two cleat options for different float levels.

They arent the lightest, although for the money I paid, there's no way I could have gone lighter. I don't believe theyve got Ti axels, it'd be nice if the DA had Ti to save some weight.
They arent that cheap new ... I could only afford them thanks to eBay.

I bought the ultegra version a few years ago, and recently purchased 3 well used (clained 1500 miles, but they're in terrible cosmetic condition for 1500miles, so I think at least 5000 going by what my ultegras look like) pairs on eBay cheap. I'm riding one set now, another sold to a friend and one waiting for a new bike.

I find the shimano system easy to clip into. Inspires confidence etc. I'm basically very happy.

I read recently about the replaceable plastic top cap, and have bought some spares for when mine need replaceing. The new 7810 has metal, and wont need new caps, which sounds much better.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra pedals, same generation as my 7800's, so virtually the same pedal anyway.
kevin32   Road Racer [Dec 26, 2008]
Strength:

Everything

Nothing...maybe weight for some, but not really.

Not the lightest, but have never had a single problem with these pedals on three different bikes. Good solid platform for power transfer. Easy in/out clipping and the shoe pads are great for walking/standing. Everything I want from my pedals and no worries about breaking. I believe the plastic wear pad problem has been fixed as well.

Similar Products Used: Look Keo
android   Road Racer [Dec 04, 2007]
Strength:

Light, look good. easy entry. Positive clip in. Cleat much easier to walk on and balance at stops.

None for me. Unlike others, I have no issues with the float.

I've been riding DA PD-7401s Look compatible pedals forever, but they are heavy and I've always thought they entry was awkward.

I finally decided to give the latest PD offering from Shimano a try when I upgrade my bike from 7700 to 7800 DA.

Even though the cleat/pedal shape is similar to my previous pedals, I find the entry much easier. Once in, I can tell I'm staying in. I put one extra turn on the tension from the default which is fine for road riding.

I also put a pair on my track bike and added two extra turns on the tension. The clip in is very secure.

I've not had much problem with the plastic wear, but I usually wipe down my pedal and cleats afer every ride. I can see how grit might wear down the plastic insert.

That said, I've now put these on my TT and track bikes that are ridden less often and in cleaner conditions and put PD-7810s on my daily road bike.

Similar Products Used: Shimano DA PD-7401.
macker@sbcglobal.net   Recreational Rider [Jun 04, 2006]
Strength:

Slightly smoother than my old ultegra PD 6600

too much plastic and noisy
have to replace the center plastic body cover when worn -very poor deal for $$$ pedals

The left pedal started making noise in three weeks - creaking and popping and I can't get it to stop no matter what. I hate noise. Must be the plastic.

Similar Products Used: ultegra PD6600
zsober   Road Racer [Jan 31, 2006]
Strength:

Easy in/out Large contact area solid feel great sprinting pedals

One sided

When I first started riding a road bike I used Shimano MTB pedals. I knew I had to switch so I asked around. Everyone told me Speedplay. So I bought a pair and was sorely dissapointed. I then switched to Dura Ave thanks to a sprinter teammate of mine and I have never been happier. Better control, more contact area and much better in a sprint

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPD Speedplay X2s Time RSX Crank Bros Eggbeaters
cminton   Recreational Rider [Aug 22, 2005]
Strength:

Platform size, stability.

Loose

Has a good platform but holds the cleat loosely, resulting in clicking on the upstroke. New cleats solves this problem but it comes back quickly.

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPD Ritchey
free_rideman   Road Racer [Jul 25, 2005]
Strength:

Well made, look great, have a lot of feel, a most importantly I can count on them. Oh yes and I like the cleat, which makes entry a breeze.

None really. But if I must choose something, I would say that shimano should refine the "float" since it isn't real float. If you try these at the bike shop you will understand what I mean. But it is not a big deal.

I wanted these because of their low profile and big platform. The speedplay pedals have such weird and free floating that it takes away the feeling of the bike. It is like your shoe is part of the whole bike. I don't like that at all. Plus the entry is easy and getting out is too. Don't have to twist your ankle like crazy with those speedplay pedals. Plus the spring is very strong! If you still are not sure, Lance has these and he is the only one that has won 7 times.

Similar Products Used: Other shimano spd pedals and speedplay.
Piers   Road Racer [Nov 10, 2004]
Strength:

Light, powerful, engaging, direct and you feel like you are getting all the efficiency from your pedal action.

Don't use the standard cleat with float. It is awful - no really bad. The float is so vague, its floats at the front and at the back so it feels like you are skating on ice - don't use them. Use the fixed cleat, it is very similar to most other floating cleats that float at the back of the cleat and not at the front and back. The fixed cleat has the same float as the floating Campag cleat.

Pedals are like saddles, an aquired taste. Some suit diffrent feet and cycling styles. Started with Look - too bulky, heavy, comfortable. Went to Campagnolo - too direct, I got hot spots when climbing and along with the campag chain, the pedals are the other thing they make badly. Very poor quality. So Shimano Dura Ace PD-7800. These are between the two, pretty direct and fairly comfortable. I would say they are the best all round pedal I've tried. One thing they excel at is the power you get from them. I find that they are the most power efficient pedal I've used. The build quality is exceptional, they feel light but solid and when climbing very direct and efficient.

Similar Products Used: Look (3types), Campag Centaur & Record.
Rockgrunt   Recreational Rider [Jul 13, 2004]
Strength:

Great value if you shop around

Pricey

I upgraded from spd's, and noticed an immediate improvement. Solid platform, easy entrance and exit, along with very smooth peddling make this a great peddle.