Shimano PD-M520 Pedals

Shimano PD-M520 Pedals

Double-sided SPD pedal with adjustable tension and Shimano quality that won't break the bank. Excellent mud shedding. Durable Cro-Moly axle. Sealed cartridge bearings. SM-51 single release cleats included. Black. 380 gramspair weighed without cleats.Note These pedals are compatible with Shimano SPD cleats and NOT compatible with SPD-R or SPD-SL road cleats.

[Jun 08, 2010]
Kelly Minyard

Strength:

Clip in and out fast. Love the fact that clip in both sides of the pedal.

No weakness. Just need to use the right tool for the job. You wouldn't want to put a western saddle on a thoroughbred before racing it in the Kentucky Derby.

I really like these clipless pedals. I used these pedals on my mountain bike for over a year now, and they have really helped me through tough climbs and nasty falls. I have no doubt that I can clip out of these pedals when I get in trouble. However to save money I placed these pedals on my road bike so I did not have to buy new shoes. I found that the more miles I rode, the more my feet became numb. The strange thing was, I noticed tingling, but thought it was normal and put it in the back of my mind. I overheard a conversation with my "bike guy" telling a customer that since these pedals have a smaller platform it's hard to not toe the pedals and keep up with the other cyclists at the sametime. Plus not to mention numbness will occur with more miles. I recommend these pedals for mb rides and shorter road bike rides. If you plan on ridding 80 plus miles a week, I would stick to specific road bike pedals wiry a larger platform.

[Apr 18, 2008]
elguapogordo

Strength:

quick in and out of pedals with no effort. Easy adjustment.

small surface area prevents sneaking in a quick jaunt without putting on cycling shoes.

I have a set of these on my stuppjumper, and when I bought a road bike, being a fiscally conservative (read cheap) New Englander, I put another set on so I would not need to buy a second pair of shoes. I'm a big rider (230+, give or take a sniffin') and I have never had any problems at all. Clipping in and out is effortless, especially when I compare myself to my hard-core roadie friends struggling to get clipped into their high end pedals. I'm not a gram-counter, so I don't consider weight to be an issue.

[Nov 11, 2006]
Rat Kid

Strength:

Learning curve is fairly easy. And clips out pretty fast on a slow speed near fall.

Kinda hard to clip in sometimes. Also theres a very annoying 'click-clack' or grinding noise the cleats make whenever you walk, but thats understandable.

This is the first clipless pedals I've ever used. I've used clip-ons since I started road riding. It took me literally 10 minutes to learn how to clip in and clip out. They're cheap and pretty easy to use.
Got it in a deal($10)from the mechanic at the LBS,since he switched to Crank Bros. Candy pedals

clip-ons

[Sep 06, 2006]
johnmichaelclimaco

Strength:

easy in easy out
great pedal for beginners!

maybe weight.
if it were just the same as the r540 @ 330grms

at first i was looking for a cleat pedal since i was really having a hard time disengaging from my r540 road pedal. someone suggested to use a atb spd and recommended these pedals. it has actually a dual sided engagement mechanism but the one i bought has a plastic platform on the other side. was already hesitant to use clipless system! but when it was installed and i tested wow its as easy as 123. GREAT PEDAL

shimano r540 road pedal

[Oct 04, 2005]
kjohnso3

Strength:

Double sided clips makes it very easy to clip in the pedal. Cheap price in comparison to other pedals. Soft click sound when pedal engages shoe.

Small surface area may not be ideal for individuals with wide feet. Hot spots will occur if your shoes straps are loose. Can't balance in place as easy at a dead stop due to small surface area.

This is my first set of clipless pedals I have experienced so I have nothing to compare it with. The only thing I can about that is I have seen many different types of clip pedals and it's just a matter of preference. I have been riding for 7 months and the pedals thus far appears to be holding up. I have heard complaints that these pedals are not solid and tend to fall apart. I must be lucky because I ride very hard and the pedals are performing very well. I had my LBS make all my adjustments and they even taught me how to ride in the shoes and pedal effectively. With some extra pointers from some highly experience roadies I became a very proficient at clicking in and out of these pedals. Actually I can click in on first try effortlessly. In group rides during a stop I am able to click in my pedals and be way ahead of the group and up to pacing speed while they are still searching for their pedals. I don't know if it is the particular pedal or just foot-to-pedal coordination. I use a MTB cleat shoes on my road bike. I like the way they look and feel. Also I can walk around normal without anyone noticing that I have bike shoes on. I will not rate it a perfect 5 since I haven't tried other pedals.

None yet