Shimano Ultegra PD-6500 Pedals

Shimano Ultegra PD-6500 Pedals

Compact, low-profile design Chrome-moly spindle Sealed cartridge bearing unit Cleat tension

[Oct 24, 2010]
jamesdak

Strength:

Rock solid build
smooth bearings
Nice visible tension indicator

A bit heavy by today's standards

These pedals came on a 2000 LeMond Zurich I picked up used recently. Pedals were a bit beat up cosmetically but functioned fine. Higher clip out effort than the Look KEO Classics I am used to. Some hot spots but I was using my old and slightly small MB shoes so I can't blame this on the pedals. Very Solid pedals that seem well made but are a good bit heavier than the Look pedals I usually use.

Look KEO Classics
Shimano MB dual sided pedal (Not sure what model)

[Jun 17, 2007]
Attila

Strength:

Small, light, durable. Cleats are more walkable and less slippery than Looks. The pedals don't wear down like looks. They're harder to pull out of as the cleats wear.

No longer made, harder to find. SPD drillings harder to find on road shoes.

It's too bad Shimano stopped making this pedal; it's the best pedal made. The cleat is compatible with Shimano mtb pedals, so you can put the 2-sided mtb pedals on your winter bike and use the same shoes on all your bikes. The Dura-Ace version is not as good - the plastic tabs keep breaking off.

[Apr 13, 2007]
TFR

Strength:

fair price considering quality. $130 to $150 for pedals that last a real long time is actually a good deal when I think about it

not much, after using a lighter pedal that screwed up within a year. A little lighter would be nice, but not bad weight

Not too heavy, very durable, and work great. Had not used them in a while.

I just sent my Look Keo Carbons back for warranty work. I had gotten them to try something lighter, and because they have a 3 bearing system which I assumed would make them durable, but did not. The KEO carbon's bearings showed play in less than a year.
So I pulled out the old Ultegras. I really appreciate them. A very nice pedal. Probably will get SAMPSOn pedals next time. Had a pair of SAMPSOn Straticsin 90's that lasted many many miles and were light and worked well.

Sampson Stratics, Time, Look Keo

[Dec 06, 2006]
Alvin Mirabal

Strength:

Reliability, adjustment indicator

My first SPD pedals after being a Look fan for many years. Love the tension adjuster indicator and ease of clipping and un-clipping.

[Nov 01, 2002]
Aaron France

Strength:

slick looking, strong, steel pedals, with a relatively low weight. fixed or float depending on cleat.

some complain about hot spots. also, cheaper, lighter pedals are now available on the market.

Slick looking, cro-moly, relatively light pedals. They have a very cool tension indicator, for quick reference. Unfortunately, they have single sided entry. These pedals use the SPD-R sh-70 or sh-71 cleats... Supposedly a standard SPD cleat with rubber pontoons, which makes it easier to walk with SPD-R drilled shoes. Some shop geeks have made claims that you can use the standard SPD cleat with this, but I had problems with cleat retention when I tried that with a spare pair of SPD cleats. I would pop-out on sprints and even some seated climbs. Overall I think these pedals are great. I've only encountered hot-spots during centuries. During an 18 mile crit I raced this fall I did develop a little bit of a hot spot, but I don't normally feel that during my weekly rides (one of which is about 50 miles) or when I use them for courier work. The sh-70 cleat is a fixed cleat, no float, which some prefer. I just switched to the sh-71 cleat, which has what I've heard to be 9 degrees of float. So much like the look free-arc, you can choose whether or not you want float based upon your cleat purchases.

look free-arc's

[Apr 28, 2000]
ed

Strength:

Low profile, good cornering clearence, good fit of float

Well for regular road use this pedal is fine overall, though, like the review below, I too have noticed hot spots... I don't know if this is related to the pedal though? I also use this pedal for recreational cyclocross riding, and I would not recommend people to use this pedal for cyclocross in muddy conditions... Of course, this pedal is not designed for cyclocross, but I am too cheap to buy Time atb pedals!

I don't have too much experience with pedals or I don't really care to pay too much attention to how they work... I guess that you can take this as a good sign for the quality of these pedals... I have had no major problems with them, they seem to hold up even in muddy conditions, but sometimes it is hard to disengage when they get muddy, though one has to remember that these are not designed for what I use them for...

I would say that these are good quality pedals that seem to hold up well... Would I buy them again? Yes for pure raod use, but no, for cyclocross.

Old Look style Dura Ace... still sweet! Just ask Lance... he rode these to his 99 victory in the Tour.

[Apr 23, 2000]
Sean

Strength:

Good cornering, positive click and secure feel on entry, light weight

one-sided entry, pedal is so small that i think this contributed to hot spots on the bottom of my foot

These pedals served me well and are very reliable though I do think they were contributing to hot spots since there is very small area to distribute the riders weight. They worked well for over two years, and I still have them as a reserve pedal should my speedplays malfunction or if I get tired of them. Anybody want to buy my Shimanos?

Look, speedplay

[Apr 29, 2000]
Tom

Strength:

dependable, have never pulled out in a sprint even with a moderate tension setting, and they work fine with my mountain SPD cleats (single-release) and Shimano and Carnac MTB shoes

They like to squeak occasionally, I think where my cleat hits the plastic plate. I usually hit this area with a little lube before a ride. They don't seem to hang in the perfect position for clipping in, so you have to roll them forward a touch to make sure you're stomping on the correct side. I got used to this quickly, though.

They seem as good as the Durace models my friends have that I've tried - not quite the same silky bearing action, but just as durable.

SPD 747's

[Oct 05, 2000]
Tom

Strength:

Tension adjustment, 3 deg. travel, Shoe cleat has some protection for walking

Single sided. If you are very skilled you can line up the cleat and the pedal with out looking down. I can't.

This pedal has a solid feel that gives the rider the impresion of being conected to thier bike, yet your heal is free to float to the left and right. I find this feature more comfortable on long rides, but it can make exiting the petal a bit more difficult. The tension adjustment will allow someone without a lot of experence using clipless pedals to set the pedal up for a very easy release. Keep in mind which shoes you chose may have a greater impact on your rinding preformance/comfort than the pedals you use.

Tyme, Look